Misfire

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Muddy

Misfire

Post by Muddy »

Gents bike appears to have a misfire above 6000 when moving, but not when revving it whilst stationary.
Thoughts please.

Kev.
98 VTR - 929 Front End - VFR800 Rear - Ohlins - Gilles Reasets - Blue Flame High Level Cans
alan

Re: Misfire

Post by alan »

8O 8O 8O
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

He's broke it already
Rich.

alan

Post by alan »

cupasoop wrote:He's broke it already
:lol: :lol: pmsl
Muddy

Post by Muddy »

Strange that it revs freely up to 6-6500 then seems to miss?
Help !!!

Kev.

P.S Would not dream of breaking this after all of Alans hard work !!
98 VTR - 929 Front End - VFR800 Rear - Ohlins - Gilles Reasets - Blue Flame High Level Cans
alan

Post by alan »

Tim no, bike has been run recently it was started regular while i was having operations and have been out a few times on it since, upto cways, scarborough, sherburn every weds and sunday while i was advertising it, i didnt notice any misfire myself, any body who knows me know my bikes are highly maintained, serviced and in mint condition.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Have you had the tank off it since you've had it?
Rich.

alan

Post by alan »

kev only thing that hasnt been done and i think it needs it is the carbs want balancing
warby221

Post by warby221 »

cupasoop wrote:He's broke it already

Narrrrr Alan broke it than sold it

Only joking :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I didn’t know whom the bike came from I’d be saying the valve timing was 180 out now

But as its al’s old one I’m 99.9999999% sure that would be all right

Could be a plug on its way, lose wire on the one of the coils or some thing like that

Also drain the float chamber in to a glass jar and see if there’s any water in the fuel up there in Cumbria there’s a lot of rain knocking about

P.S do they still do the spot the sheep dog contest in the paper???
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
DPR11

Post by DPR11 »

Hi all,
I`m new to the world of the storm, saying that it hasn`t stopped raining since i got the thing. It would appear I`m having the same problem, my storm wont go past 6000 either :? , I have had a good read of the workshop section, and it would appear there are a few causes, does anyone have a definative answer to this issue?

Danny
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

warby221 wrote: If I didn’t know whom the bike came from I’d be saying the valve timing was 180 out now
DPR11 wrote:Hi all,
I`m new to the world of the storm, saying that it hasn`t stopped raining since i got the thing. It would appear I`m having the same problem, my storm wont go past 6000 either :? , I have had a good read of the workshop section, and it would appear there are a few causes, does anyone have a definative answer to this issue?

Danny
Normally as Warby says that is usually the main possibility of the valve timing being out by 180 degrees.

If you want to check it yourself then let us know, we'll explain how too.

Chris.

PS. Getting back to Muddy's bike, I'd suggest trying new plugs also. Check the bottom outlet on the fuel tank tap it should be dry. If it's wet then the tap diaphragm has split and will need replacing. If you've been riding it in torrential rain lately, some water may have found it's way into the terminal block connectors just in behind the fairing.

Have you been doing any work on the bike lately that could have contributed to this :?:
DPR11

Post by DPR11 »

I have just been on the phone to the dealer i got it from,he is going to pick it up tomorrow and hopefully sort the problem. I just want it back and sorted so i can ride the thing properly :twisted:

Danny
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

DPR11 wrote:I have just been on the phone to the dealer i got it from,he is going to pick it up tomorrow and hopefully sort the problem. I just want it back and sorted so i can ride the thing properly :twisted:

Danny
Danny,
That's your best bet I'd say seeing as you bought it from a dealer.

Chris.
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Guys'

I had the same problem with mine last year. Stumped me for a long time. Ended up being a sticky diaphram in the fuel tap. the bike was not getting enough fuel at the higher revs.

Not saying it is the cure to your problem, but another item to check to make sure the diaphram is not stuck or breaking down!

Good luck on the diagnosis.
Keep Her Lit !
DPR11

Post by DPR11 »

I`m assuming that a new tap mechanism is going to be expensive? is there a repair kit or similar, or is it just a case of freeing up the diaphram, although the dealer is going to sort it out i want to give the guy a hint so i get the bike back in good time. Or should i just not say anything and have him replace a load of parts.

Danny