Re: Home Insurance

General Biker Banter
alan

Post by alan »

same happened to me Tim with bennetts bike insurance was with them for over 5yrs, 8yrs no claims, renewal come insurance went up ALOT :confused :shifty: feckers
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

did the same with car insurance (direct line ) was £80 cheaper online than renewal quote, phoned them up and they said take it out online cos they could'nt match it on the phone :wtf:
tattie

Post by tattie »

Timbo,
Last year I got my buildings and contents renewall from Direct line and it was up a hell of a lot from the previous year. I was going to pay but thought I would give them a call and see what the excuse was for the above inflation rise. I spoke to a lassie but unfortunately there was not much she could do, but she would put me through to her supervisor, lo and behold he was able to do me a "special" deal and it brought the premium down by about £90. :D
I have been with them for years and had never bothered to question the ever increasing cost.
There was an article in the papers a while back saying that insurance companies make more money from loyal customers as they don't hassle them about the renewall costs.
One of the reasons this country is in the state it is today is due to big companies taking the piss out of the little man. Just think how many old folks/ pensioners are been ripped off it makes me grate my teeth. :mad2 :mad2

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

Churchill are no better :twisted:
Went with them last year for House & Contents and paid about £175...Renewal came through for £300+ :!:

Did the usual comparison sites and got a cheapest quote of £170 or so from guess who..........

Churchill :wtf: ...Rang to cancel the current policy as I was not happy with the renewal rate and the guy said "I'm not surprised....& yes we can proceed with the "new" policy instead.

Robbing Bar Stewards the lot of em'
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I think all inscos are the same. The last 2 years running my bike insurance (thru Adrian Flux) has been cheaper through a comparison site than the renewal notice from the same company. This year was the best....Adrian Flux renewal was £120 more expensive than the same policy, with the same underwriter than through a comparison site. Crazy
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
chaz

Post by chaz »

didnt renew our shower protection policy after the complimentary year expired .
they wanted £49 for the next year, never got round to renewing. now get a letter from Mira showers not the insurers dealing with renewal and its changed to £25 for the year... :thumbup:

also renewed the car with Churchill again, went on line to check renewal and it was cheaper as well, rang them up and got it for the cheaper online price, they dont want to loose you , so worth asking.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I've just renewed my buildings and contents with Swinton ,they sent me my renewal, and to my surprise ,as well as my qoute from my existing insurance company(Fortis),they also supplied me with a cheaper alternative quote (MMA insurance) ,which came in at £31 cheaper .
Anyway,i done the usual searches.......,tescocompare, gocompare,confused.com etc , and like for like ,i just can't get it cheaper ,so i've stayed with Swinton,and it was actually cheaper than last year :thumbup:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A good call Tim for the likes of home insurance etc. I shopped around last time and saved around £100.

I've also in the past tried to do the same with bike insurance, but I've found as soon as you mention anything non-standard they can't give an online quote, you have to phone them which kind of defeats the object of the exercise IMO. The only company I've come across who doesn't have this problem and covers most modifications is eBike.

Afterall most bikers now-a-days don't keep their bike bog standard, so you would think others would follow eBike so you can get an online quote from them.

I'll duck now as a barrage of replies come flying in telling me there are others who can do that now :eh:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Timbo wrote: What i do is go onto the Meerkat type web sites and do a proce comparison for a totally standard bike, then rather than insure online i call them and say "I have this quote, here's the reference number, it was £x but i couldnt see where to add my non-standard exhaust etc", basically play dumb, and they add it in and sort it all out. I go on the rule that most will load it about the same for my mods so i start witht he cheapest bog standard and as long as it is not outrageously more, i go with it.
That seems like a good idea Tim :thumbup:

Chris.