tyre repairs..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

yup you got it in one.. puncture safe it is...
i think its cause there are lots of other products called ultraseal..

and i check my tyres regular. but thats only cause i ride it every day and clean it more than i clean myself..

and im most deff a convert to this product...
when i buy my next set of tyres im buying it and doing it from new..

a BIG thanks to all the ones giving it the thumbs up :lol: :lol:
and to the sceptics ( like i was ) it does exactly what it says on the tin!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chuxsta wrote:yup you got it in one.. puncture safe it is...
i think its cause there are lots of other products called ultraseal..

and i check my tyres regular. but thats only cause i ride it every day and clean it more than i clean myself..
That's good :!: the tyre checking bit I mean, not cleaning the bike more than yourself :lol:

Cheers for the info on the new name :D

Chris.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Re: tyre repairs..

Post by RedStormV »

Never used any of the goo that goes in tyres, mate of mine who has a tyre fitting business hates the stuff - mainly I think cos of the mess when it comes to renewing the tyre - don't know for sure.

Having experienced a rather large pallet nail in the rear tyre picked up in the Creg car park at the Manx this year - and not having time to get it sorted before the last ferry of the day left, I now have one of these under the seat

Click here for Rema UK They're in Leeds apparently.

Think they retail about £15 to £20 - but certainly worth having if you get a puncture while out - 20 mins or so and you're back on the road.

No wheel off etc just an in situ repair.

I managed to pick one up from eblag cheap :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Go for the repair, it'll be ok.

Tyre manufacturers have to say that they don't recommend repairs, just in case someone falls off and dies horribly, and their relatives sue for millions.

I've had repairs done that last for the life of the tyre, and the old rule of thumb is that you'll get a nail in a tyre before it's a month old.
None of my relatives got a penny.

Now let's see, if a company sells tyres, and tells you that whenever there's a puncture you need a new tyre, who might benefit?

Answers on a postcard to:

Self-interest@megacorp.co.uk

BTW, used one of the above Rema plugs on a rear tyre which only had two weeks to go before being thrashed to death on the drag strip at the Bulldog Bash year before last.
It not only did the commute for the two weeks, but got me to the Bash loaded with all the camping stuff and did the drag strip runs (including warm-up burnouts) without a whimper.
No pressure drop, nothing.
Last edited by tony.mon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
chaz

Post by chaz »

think you will find its no longer legal to repair certain speed rating tyres, possibly W rated , also a MOT failure as well. another thing is repairs are not allowed close to the side wall
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

I knew I'd seen a review and a step by step / picture by picture guide as someone used one.

Here: Clicky for review

A top tip (get it? gone from tip top to top tip :lol: no? oh well :roll: ) .....
from an old biking buddy of mine sadly departed, is to carry a selection of self tapping screws in various shank sizes, with various (coarse) threads and ideally with countersunk heads.

If you can get to an air source before removing the offending nail or whatever's punctured your tyre all the better.

Remove the nail & choose a screw with at least the same shank size as the nail and screw it into the hole - if you can get the head slightly into the tyre it makes removing it easier when you get to a repair shop.

At the Manx I had no choice but to ride with the nail in situ and keep topping the tyre pressure up whenever I could as I'd inadvertantly left screws etc in the garage after fiddling under the seat.
This obviously wasn't ideal as it could have pulled out etc as I was riding - replacing it with a screw would have prevented this and reduced or removed the need to keep topping the tyre up.

Found this too as I was looking for the above review ....

Clicky .. Dunlop Motorcycle Tubeless Tire Repair Information
Jbrebel

Re:

Post by Jbrebel »

lee67 wrote:had loads of tyres plugged even once on a sidewall..with no probs whatsoever..£5 at local garage...
Ditto Lee :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Think i'll get myself one of those kits you've got Graeme ,they look good.

These ones i've listed here look great for absolute quickness (30 seconds) 8O , but i'm still looking for reviews for them from someone who has actually used them .
Clicky- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTRAX-CARGOL-TUR ... 144wt_1165
Stevie
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

Don't know anyone who's used 'em Stevie but on the face of it they look OK.

If you look at AA and or RAC websites I believe their 'own' tyre repair kits as used by their break down guys, are just re-badged Rema Tip Top ones.

Mate at work is aiming to buy Rema kit with a few more bits'n'bobs including some kind of special inserter tool (oooeerr!) and more inserts for about £40 he reckons. He'll keep the box at home for spares and just carry a selection with him.

I haven't checked out their website to see just what it is he's on about specifically yet though.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I have a totally opposite opinion. I would never get a tyre repaired on a bike since a rear tyre 'repair' on the SP failed. The tyre went flat in seconds and only god knows how I didnt come off. The plug just gave up! I didnt even know it had been repaired but now I will never trust one. Just my opinion though.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

Valid point Jim, was it a plug / mushroom / etc? As there are many different things on the market - not all as good as each other.

I would agree with you apart from the fact that carrying one with you, in most cases, gives you the ability to get home from fook knows where and then either replace the tyre or get a 'proper' repair done I think is still worth the money (IMO).

Got a blow out on the ZXR once about 15 miles from home went down in seconds.

I was over 3 hours in total waiting for the RAC (in a tranny vanny) to turn up only to to be told they didn't have a bike trailer or low loader capable of carrying a bike, then waiting for their 'local agent' (strangely lived about 2 miles from me) to ring me, go pick up his bike trailer, come out and get me and take me back home.

I had of course explained to the RAC control centre the size and position of the hole. IMO they should have dispatched the guy with the trailer first off.

As it was it was a fine, warm sunny afternoon, and apart from being a little dehydrated (no shops or pubs near) I was OK. Had it been pi55ing down or just bloody cold and dark it would have been horrendous.

Maybe the hole was too big or in a position where the RAC guy couldn't or wouldn't fix it - but you can be sure I'd have had a damn good go at it, had I had one of these under the seat.

Had I remembered to put the damn thing back when I went to the Manx in August I wouldn't have had to limp home in the pi55ing down rain stopping at every services enroute to check the pressure and top it up.
Especially considering some of the 'Service' stations should have pictures of highwaymen on the slip road, £1 & £1.50 for some of the air machines on the 62!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

As a get you home measure like your kit they are brilliant but people dont pay for a plug repair to 'just get you home'. The one that let go on my SP was a cone shaped effort of about 4 mm in diameter. Each to there own. I just dont feel right knowing that I have possibly increased the risk of a big off by being tight! When you are on it and taking a big risk by riding quick I dont need any help to come off :oops:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

I agree Jim, I have heard of those cone affairs letting go before and would hate to think that saving a £100+ caused anyone an off.

Maybe there's some statistis somewhere on the web about repairs gone wrong. Even 'proper' vulcanised repairs can fail, so by far thye best option is to replace as soon as possible.

I'm not advocating extended use of these just suggesting they're a bloody good thing to have to get you home and to a repair shop. Without looking it up IIRC they recommend a max speed once repaired 50mph or something? TBH I wish I'd been able to acheive that coming back from the Manx in the driving rain.

I can't say I would never ride on a repaired tyre cos I have - but I usually take advice from 2 of my friends one of whome owns a motor factors and bike shop, the other a tyre & exhaust business. If the tyre's had its best I'll definitely replace it. If as once happened, I'd barely done 50 mile on it and got a nail in the centre of the tread, I'd repair it.

I do know people who'll always replace - each to his own I suppose. And yes, sometimes it does come down to money
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Just for info my tyre man says that Michelins can legally take a repair (in the right part of the tyre) They paid for tests to be carried out and got the nod from insurers. Its only what he said and I have read nothing to back up this statement though.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Pulled the bike out this morning to go see a Pal get his CBT only to find a flat rear (a Storm 2 Ultra with 400 miles on it!) thanks to a b45st4rd nail. "I'm Fecked ain't I" sprang to mind. I'm with Jim. And bang goes another £120! Gutted.

Then I found this:
http://londonbikers.com/news/3039/punct ... e-you-flat
Sweet.

And my pal got his CBT though and he's after a wee Vee Twin, a Varadero 125. Time for a beer.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!