What battery?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
numbnuts

What battery?

Post by numbnuts »

What battery should I use,I've been using a 12ah battery for the past year and i have had nothing but trouble starting the bike in the mornings here in gibraltar so its not exactly cold.Try it on the key and it barely turns the engine over and most of the time it zero's the trip and clock,had to bump start many times (luckily i live on a hill!)I was beginning to think it was the starter motor but now with the 14ah its good
I got the bike when it had done 4700km and it did it a couple of times but then it gradually got worse.
The owners manual has a 10AH in the wiring diag,the battery shop shows a 12AH in their manual,I have now fitted a 14ah battery and it seems fine so why does it show a 10ah in the manual?
There's nuttin like a throbbin " V"
balls

Re: What battery?

Post by balls »

Have you checked the r/r and how much charge you are getting at the battery , My r/r has just died but you could hardly tell from the look of it :D
Gallax

Post by Gallax »

Hi

i put the 14 as well (YTX14-BS) it's 15mm higher so you have to take the flappy cover off the holder but you get extra bang for your bucks.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

balls wrote:Have you checked the r/r and how much charge you are getting at the battery , My r/r has just died but you could hardly tell from the look of it :D
N/N,
Worth doing what Neil (balls) suggests I agree. You should be getting around 13.5 - 15.5 volts.

Having a bigger amp hour battery is most likely only masking the problem.

Have a look at this link:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15702

HTH,

Chris.

PS. I'm not sure how you've seen two different amp hour ratings for the Firestorm battery.
My bike is a 1999 model and a 10amp hour battery is what I'm using and always have done.

PPS. If you've got an alarm/mobilizer fitted that will drain your battery if the bike is not used for sometime, unless you use a battery charger/monitor.