Touring on a storm

General Biker Banter
firestarter1977

Touring on a storm

Post by firestarter1977 »

Hi all, have been away a while but am back .

I am off on a little tour later in the year on the storm.

Just wondering what luggage is good for my high level pipes and have to be easily removed. Have looked at the tech 7 stuff on the fast one which looks good for high level pipes.... Anyone used them??

Also I have been thinking if fitting some vfr bars , is this a worth while mod???

What about touring screens???

It's only 10 days but I would like to be comfortable :)

any advice appreciated

Mark

the thunder rolls on!!!
marravtr

Re: Touring on a storm

Post by marravtr »

ayup matey, i used oxford panniers on my storm (fit a treat on the SP too) with hi levels no probs as just adjust the straps to where you want em, if you fancy a blat down you can try em for fit before you go and buy anything :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
firestarter1977

Cheers timbo

Unfortunatly it's the storm or a supermoto, storm seems the best bet lolol

the thunder rolls on!!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I too used Oxford panniers on my Storm-still have em for the SP Marra :wink:-and they were fine with my HL exhausts mate.

Just sell the storm and the CCM. Buy a Goldwing instead :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
SP1's rock!
firestarter1977

Jb can't part with the ccm :) far too much fun !!!

Marra I will pop over when I have the bike road legal again and have a try of them panniers... Cheers fella

the thunder rolls on!!!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

no worries mark, just pm me, im around most of the time matey
Last edited by marravtr on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
firestarter1977

Will do marra .

Nice one fella

the thunder rolls on!!!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i like that underbelly wotsit you have there....
same colour as mine as well.

i think your bike would make a much better tourer if you took that off and lent it to me :P
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Firestarter,
Touring on the storm is OK, but for me it was the seat that gets me first! But at least the tank range ensures you get the chance to get off the bike and get the circulation back.
This was my France set up with Fuel range extender!

When I went to france I used the standard seat, but I have now got a 2nd seat which I had modified by Tony Archer to add more height and gel pads in both rider and passenger areas.........Is based on stock profile so looks good, but not had a chance to test it over big miles.

If you are thinking of going 2 up you will need a grab rail, but the pillion seat will be grounds for divorce I would think, but thats up to you!!! The grab rail is good for strapping things to, so a worthwhile mod even for 1 up.

I also use Oxford paniers, but not with Highlevel cans, so cant comment on the clearance, but I have found a problem with them overloading the bodywork on the tail plastics and breaking off the lower mounting lugs where it secures to the lower subframe.
The problem is the seat is much narrower than the tail plastic, so the paniers exert an inward load on the tail piece at its widest point. My fix for this is to use a broom handle cut to length just wider than the tail section, this is fitted below the tail, and bungie'ed up into the mudguard section. This then reacts the inward load of the paniers agaisnt each other, rather than using the fragile plastic to transfer the load.
also cover the tail with tape to protect the paint from rubbing from paniers or straps
You cant see it in these pics, but I will try and take some pics later to show you what I mean.

Oh and I fitted the front mudgaurd extender and double bubble screen some time ago, but they also make sence for long distance work.
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

AMCQ46 wrote: This was my France set up with Fuel range extender!

don't go to spain with that - apparently it's illegal to carry a fuel can there ;)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

I have to disagree with AMCQ there. I rode down to Croatia on my tod and had no worries with the seat and was comfy all day. I wasn't doing huge mileage, max 350 but was proper comfy. I then picked up the bird in Croatia and we toured around a bit. She was happy on the back so rather than fly back she rode back with me. She had absolutely no complaints and felt really comfy even with a rucsac on her back. She's quite little mind, about 5 foot 7ish and 9 stone (I think). I however, did get a bit of elbow ache with her on the back simply because I couldn't move around as much. Wasn't major and like AMCQ says, frequent stops for fuel helps out.

All in all I would say it is a cracking bike to tour on. I was extremely jealous everytime I saw a bike with hard luggage tho... That would've been fantastic.

Enjoy!
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

That reminds me - if anyone gets ride magazine, March edition, page 8 it is I think, "your bike" section, there is me, the bird and the fastest colour Storm in Croatia!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Haha!

Spotted you the other night when I was reading said mag Giddsy!

Good work :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

there are also those Ventura luggage systems
http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/system/bikeselect.aspx

dont know anyone who has tried them on a storm, but looks like it would work with a passenger as well .

Looks like they do a kit for the storm and it can be converted to a grab rail or a rack.
F**n expensive mind
AMcQ