nitron shock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yorkylancs

nitron shock

Post by yorkylancs »

Hi all,i was looking to buy a nitron shock,was going to go straight to their site tommorow,but was wondering if any of you knowledgeable lot had any thoughts on them first.They look well made,but what are the alternatives at the same price,350 quid.Was impressed with there site,shall i or shant i ?
Phil-VTwin

Re: nitron shock

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Guy is very knowledgable about shocks, had lots of dealings with him when i had my Exige but that was a few years ago now, give him ring.
Ride Safe
Phil
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Thats Guy at Nitron yeah?Think i am going with nitron.made in Britain and all that,looked at Technoflex,but looked a bit old hat.Its the entry level shock,but should be a big improvement on the oversprung original.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Yep, Guy is the owner.
Ride Safe
Phil
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Yorky,
Do keep us up dated on the Nitron :)

I've got a set of up graded forks by Roger Ditchfield on my bike, which are a huge improvement over the standard ones, but atm I'm making do with a standard rear shock with a weight related spring that I fitted.

Chris.
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Will do Chris,looking forward to getting it on and hoping i can tell the difference,was thinking of putting some miles in with the old shock,then quick change and back out again so i can tell if it was worth it.Whats the standard shock like resprung?Its gonna feel some difference surely,bet dampings gone though.Just put some gilles rearsets on as well,they felt well slick,no more rattly levers,won them on ebay for 130 quid,they were bust,the replacement brake lever bearing cost fifty quid though!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Yorky,

The Maxton rear spring I fitted does make the standard shock better for sure, as the spring is matched for my own body weight. So far (touch wood) the rear shock has not lost it's damping.

I saw those Gilles rear sets for sale myself, but as they were damaged it put me off.

Chris.
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Why we should all have to faff about with shocks is beyond me,sub standard over sprung shocks and forks with no compression damping ruin a potentially great bike,shame on honda,riding my bike one time braking hard i could hear the front tyre chirping loudly absolute shite,waiting in excitement for the new shock!
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Nitron make good quality kit. Recently changed the rear on my Tiger for their Race shock with remote pre-load as the original (Showa) is badly under-sprung and compression/rebound don't work well either. Have to do the forks now as it shows them up, a set of Hyperpro or Wilbers springs and a re-valve will sort it.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks like a work of art Chris. 8) and that one seems to be the full monty :D

Good to hear from you again.

Do lets us know what your opinion of the new Nitron shock is won't you, even though it will be on your Triumph :?:

Where is the best place to purchase one of these shocks :?:

Chris.
yorkylancs wrote:Why we should all have to faff about with shocks is beyond me,sub standard over sprung shocks and forks with no compression damping ruin a potentially great bike,shame on honda,riding my bike one time braking hard i could hear the front tyre chirping loudly absolute shite,waiting in excitement for the new shock!
Yorky,
I expect Mr Honda had to work to a budget when it came to the suspenders on the Firestorm to keep the over all cost competitive, also with it being a sports touring bike most likely he took into consideration that two up riding would probably be used, hence an over sprung rear shock for solo riding. IMO if you take into account how little a half descent Firestorm can be bought for now, spending a bit more on the suspension that is set up properly for your body weight can turn it into a good handling bike which IMHO is well capable on our public highways.

I fully understand what you mean about having to faff about (as you put it) with the suspension, and would probably feel more strongly that way like yourself if I bought the bike brand new. But think what you paid for your bike 2nd hand, then remember the new price originally was almost £8K.

Chris.
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Hi Chris, got mine from HPS http://www.bikehps.com/nitron/ because there was an offer on the remote pre-load at the time. Might not have bothered with the extra remote as it's normally an extra £147. Can't really test it with this cold weather - need warm tyres!

Still miss my Storm :( Wish I knew what happened to it as it never showed up here (and the VTR1000.ORG sticker on the screen is easy enough to read!)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

yorkylancs wrote:Hi all,i was looking to buy a nitron shock,was going to go straight to their site tommorow,but was wondering if any of you knowledgeable lot had any thoughts on them first.They look well made,but what are the alternatives at the same price,350 quid.Was impressed with there site,shall i or shant i ?
Yorky,
Can you post the link for Nitron site that you're using :?: the one I used on line directed me to the Japanese site, and guess what they don't list the Firestorm VTR1000F

Cheers,

Chris.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Ride Safe
Phil
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hankie wrote:Hi Chris, got mine from HPS http://www.bikehps.com/nitron/ because there was an offer on the remote pre-load at the time. Might not have bothered with the extra remote as it's normally an extra £147. Can't really test it with this cold weather - need warm tyres!

Still miss my Storm :( Wish I knew what happened to it as it never showed up here (and the VTR1000.ORG sticker on the screen is easy enough to read!)
:oops: Oops, sorry Chris I missed your reply.
Thanks for the info and the link :thumbup:
I don't think I would either want to pay an extra £147 for the pre-load adjuster (although it must be good to have), but once I have it set that would be it basically. Different story if you need to adjust it regularly of course I.E. track days and/or pillion rider at times.

I don't think you're on your own about not knowing where your Storm went, a few others on here say the same about their old bikes too. You used to be able to track your bike on the DVLC for free, but now they charge for that info.

Chris.
Thanks Phil for the link :thumbup:

Chris.
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Image Got it finally,even managed to post a picture,definetely not going to work tommorow! Static sag and rebound adjustments,and a trip over to me mams,thats me sorted!