Oil Level

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Silver twin

Oil Level

Post by Silver twin »

Just finished an oil change and thought this time I'll measure the amount of oil I put back in. So the manual says 3.9l.

Any how 4.25l later and I'm getting about the right level in the window. Is the manual quoting the amount required if the oil only is changed and not the filter ?

I'm guessing so, anyone else got an idea of how much they out in. Got to admit next time I do it i'll go back to just filling it till the window is 1/2 to 3/4 between the marks.

Also is it only me that finds checking the level on your own is a bugger, kneeling down one hand holding the rear subframe the other on the frame and then trying to get your head low enough to see the oil level. Mind you last time I asked the wife to sit on a bike to keep it level while I looked, she couldnt take the weight and the thing toppled over!!

Cheers Dave
tony.mon

Re: Oil Level

Post by tony.mon »

Find a suitable piece of wood to put under the sidestand so that the bike is almost upright- I use a Xena disc lock, which is around the right thickness.
Also try the handle of a wooden mallet (the square or rectangular ones, obviously) as this can be slid in or out and act as a wedge.

Before you let go of the bike, tie it to something solid with a bit of rope round the handlebar to stop it toppling.

Then you can get on with the oil level.

CAUTION:- even unscrewing the oil filler (if it's tight) can cause the bike to topple if you haven't secured it well, so tie it securely and loosen the filler before putting the block or wedge under the sidestand.

But preferably use a rear paddock stand.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
r4vtr

Post by r4vtr »

changed my oil twice since had bike n both times it only took 4 ltrs (with filter change) n that was to the full line
97 model ,black, plus 2 rear sprocket ,double bubble screen ,rentec sports rack.......much more to come
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

r4vtr wrote:changed my oil twice since had bike n both times it only took 4 ltrs (with filter change) n that was to the full line
aye same here, tad over 4 Ltrs