Speedo gone loopy

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Whoa Nelly

Speedo gone loopy

Post by Whoa Nelly »

So my speedo needle croaked. Aaaand then it was working again. And stopped. Then reeling drunkenly around the dial, working ok for a bit, then dead again. More likely to be the speed sensor, or contacts in the instrument panel, do you think?
WN!
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
r4vtr

Re: Speedo gone loopy

Post by r4vtr »

mine had a sout of this when the bat was on its way out also the reg rec went a few weeks later never done it since so i put it down to being one of these but might be something difrent on yours
97 model ,black, plus 2 rear sprocket ,double bubble screen ,rentec sports rack.......much more to come
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Same thing happened to mine, I had to replace the speed sensor.
hope this helps ChrisC
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Whoa Nelly! wrote:So my speedo needle croaked. Aaaand then it was working again. And stopped. Then reeling drunkenly around the dial, working ok for a bit, then dead again. More likely to be the speed sensor, or contacts in the instrument panel, do you think?
WN!
if it isn't the sensor it could well be a dry solder joint on the circuit board inside the clocks?
for what it's worth it would probable take you a mere 30 mins or so to resolder it all, at least it would rule out a possible before you waste money on a new sensor.
i know they are pretty much shielded from the elements, but could be condensation damage or duff manufacturing...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Are the miles still clocking up on the odo ok, i.e. 1 actual mile = 1 recorded mile? if so, then the sensor is ok.
Ride Safe
Phil