Chain maintenance

General Bike chat
Jbrebel

Chain maintenance

Post by Jbrebel »

What chain lube/oiling system do you use at the minute?

After coming back to chains after a belt (the one thing I do miss about the Muell :biggrin) I'm trying to gauge what’s best for the SP-I hate shitted up chains and sprockets. I want to keep the SP's as good as possible, with it being stood and not run as much as possible atm it’s a bit of a concern. Chains seem to suffer more often than not when the bikes stood I've found-especially cosmetically. Unless you run the bike on a beach :biggrin:

Hopefully the bike will be getting plenty more miles on it in the coming months anyway-I'm just about to finish my back yard with accompanying Bike Safe :thumbup: At least I can rest at night knowing its well locked up!

Anyway, back to original question…

Fire away!
SP1's rock!
benny hedges

Re: Chain maintenance

Post by benny hedges »

i use miller's dry ptfe with graphite spray - empty a full tin on the chain & sprox and it stops sh1t sticking to it.
then a scottoiler with their oil onto the rear carrier.
works really well. the chain is well lubed but not to the poit where it's dripping.
last thing i want is shitty black oil all over me white paintwork.

btw scottoiler oil - same stuff as chainsaw oil only a bit dearer.

some folk swear by reynolds chain wax but i havent tried it myself yet.
apparently it is bone dry but lubes the chain & cogs good without any mess at all.
or oil on the tyre :eek2
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

john, i use putoline chain wax, never had any probs using it, different colours but (use the clear one) :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I use Profi dry lube chain spray from Hein Gerike, same as said above, it stops poo sticking....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JB,
After trying many of the chain lubes available out, I like my Scott oiler the best :D
I used to have one slightly tight link on my Firestorm's chain. But a few ride-outs after fitting the S/Oiler, that link is now as free as all the others.

Chris.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

:thumbup:

Cheers chaps, helpful as always.

I've only got a can of that Motrax gold crap kicking about at the minute and don't want to really on that tbh...

Off to an auto jumble tommorrow am so I'll have a look at what I can get my paws on there. If not it'll be a trip to the local shop.

:)
SP1's rock!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I get peed off with sprays - always thinking I'm going to drop the thing getting of the paddock stand on my own!

I've just fitted a Tutoro chain oiler - like a scott but gravity fed and £20 delivered http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

Had a bit of an butt time priming it but reckon the theory stacks up and Ride Best Buy :D
donk

Post by donk »

Hey all,

I used to buy an aerosol cleaner. A mate of mine gave me some parafin in a spray bottle..... best chain cleaning product i have ever used.

I now clean the chain every 2 weeks..... its such a joy to do. :crazy:

I then use a wax. The parafin is oil based so it lubricates as well.
simo

Post by simo »

:clap: I don't forget Donk, parafin is very corrosive so don't know what lasting effects you might have. WD40 sharp shifts sh1t and muck :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

BigVeeGrin wrote:I get peed off with sprays - always thinking I'm going to drop the thing getting of the paddock stand on my own!

I've just fitted a Tutoro chain oiler - like a scott but gravity fed and £20 delivered http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

Had a bit of an butt time priming it but reckon the theory stacks up and Ride Best Buy :D
:thumbup: Nice one BVG-got one too :D For £20 I thought I'd try it. If it's pants I'll take it off and go back to aerosols.

Probably fit it over the weekend.
SP1's rock!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I was thinking the same thing JB.
Where are you going to fit yours? I had a quick look at mine and couldn't see a good spot to locate it.
You'll have to let us know how you get on.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

:biggrin

That's the only "slight" issue Pete-I've had a quick scout prior to ordering it...but there isn’t much room really is there :biggrin :lol: Plus it's gotta be horizontal.

I'll be "attempting" to fit it this weekend so I'll let you know.

If it all goes to pot and it'll not work/fit correctly one of my mates says he'll buy it off me :thumbup: We shall see... better get :think:
SP1's rock!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yeah, I wondered if the SP1 was the same as the 2 in that area. I even thought about putting it under the rear seat hump but decided that would be a pain remembering to switch it on or off each time.
Good luck :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Pete.L wrote:decided that would be a pain remembering to switch it on or off each time.
Good luck :thumbup:

Pete.l
maybe you could rig it at such an angle that it won't drip when it's on the sidestand?
or so it only drips oil when you pop a wheelie? :biggrin
ive used something similar before - was just a norgren lubricator designed for airtools and set it up so it fed onto the gearbox sprocket rather than the rear so it didn't oil the back tyre when it was stood.
try chainsaw oil from a tool hire place - it's non-fling, sticks like quange to a duvet and is reasonably cheap. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

:lol:

Looks like I'll fit it-trial it-keep it or bin it :thumbup:

We shall see :)
SP1's rock!