separate .wma file sform .mp4 files automatically?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
tony.mon

separate .wma file sform .mp4 files automatically?

Post by tony.mon »

I'm having a spat with I-Tunes and Win 7 libraries, I have a Win 7, 64 bit setup.

I've tried to consolidate all of the family's music into a single folder in Users/Public/Music, and this works fine, except that when I import any file into I-Tunes it then converts it into a .wma file as well.

So in the Public/Music folder I end up with two versions of the same song, one MP$ and one WMA.
Then later when I try to add new songs to the I-Tunes folder (it's set to do this automatically at the moment) it puts in the .wma one and converts the .mp4 one as well, so i end up with two of each song in I'Tunes (and also in Media Player, which sources from the same folder).

Now, is there a way to automatically place .wma files in a separate folder, say one at Users/Public/Music/WMA, so that the library only looks at .MP4 files?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to add new songs to the Music folder, when I-Tunes adds them to it's own folder the converted copy goes somewhere else, and then isn't seen in my normal storage folder?

I know I can use the "show duplicates" feature in I-Tunes, but this can also show different versions of the same song (live vs radio edit, for instance) and deciding which one to delete can be tricky.
And it doesn't seem to exist in Media Player.

Any ideas?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Re: separate .wma file sform .mp4 files automatically?

Post by Wicky »

Have you looked at the import settings?

Preferences > General > Import Settings > Import Using....

Might be a bit different on the PC itunes app
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: separate .wma file sform .mp4 files automatically?

Post by cupasoop »

Have you tried looking in the itunes help?
Importing music and video already on your computer
If you have audio or video files on your computer, you can import them into iTunes so that they appear in your iTunes library.
If you have an iPod, you can add music and video to it only by using iTunes. To add media from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you need to first import it into iTunes.
Here are ways to import files into your iTunes library:
Choose File > Add to Library, and locate a file or folder to add.
Drag a file or folder from the desktop to the iTunes window.

By default, adding items to your iTunes library places a pointer to each file in the iTunes folder; the original file remains in the current location. For information about copying files to the iTunes folder instead of referencing them, click this link:
Copying files to your iTunes folder automatically
If the file is an unprotected WMA file and you have Windows Media Player Series 9 or later installed, iTunes makes a copy of the file and adds it to your iTunes library. The original WMA file remains unchanged. You can't add protected WMA files or protected WMV files to iTunes.
Rich.