Instrument Cluster

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Phil-VTwin

Instrument Cluster

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Well its all finished and working perfectly :) As i am getting on a bit i had trouble focusing on the standard speedo to see what speed i was doing around town.

So i had a look for a digital speedo that would fit the storm with the minimal amount of work and choose the unit from a early R6 (pre-2003) as all the sensors would plug in and work, it was cheep too at £25 :D

I did make myself a new rev counter gauge and used the circuit board from an spare set of VTR clocks to drive the needle motor in the same stepping rates as standard.
Next i designed and made my speedo healer and added the digital gear and voltmeter unit, the clocks are mounted quite high in the screen so that everything is still visible with the tank bag on, even when its extended to its full height.

Maybe not to everyone's liking, but its very functionable and much easier to stick to the speed limits around town and past cameras!!

Not the best picture i know!
Ride Safe
Phil
gilson

Re: Instrument Cluster

Post by gilson »

Nice Phil, you must have a late Firestorm? I'm having trouble fitting an Acumen DG8 to my early Storm track bike. It's learn't the gears but then it get's confused. Did you have any problems with your gear indicator (assuming it's an Acumen?)
No bike (yet).
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tidy job that m8, looks like it grew there :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Its a '99 Storm and the volt/gear indicator is one i made myself, cost less than a tenner for the components but a few weeks of writing code for the microcontrollers to get it working properly. I wanted to use a single processor to do both but ended up using one for the voltmeter and another the gear position, i did have some problems with it getting confused after learning but a quick re-write of the software sorted it out.

Sorry i cant help with the Acumen but maybe Tony can as he has one.
Ride Safe
Phil
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Phill your a brainy wombles!

thats ace mate, two thumbs up from me, id love a digital dash
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
gilson

Post by gilson »

seb421 wrote:Phill your a brainy wombles!

thats ace mate, two thumbs up from me, id love a digital dash
Agreed, and I'm struggling with the Acumen!
No bike (yet).
seb421

Post by seb421 »

i had a blub go out on mine about 4 month ago on the rev counter at the top, took it apart today and relised they are the same bulb as the sidelight's :) i had two blue ones knocking about that a had fitted for a day, then decided it look chav'ish having a blue light on the front on the bike so glad i can use them on the dash.

i think i will leave them here, and might evan get a red one or green one for the speedo
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Looks good, Phil, makes a change from the Vapor ones.

Gilson, I posted a "how-to" in the Knowledgebase for fitting an Acumen.
Sounds like your one hasn't got the permanent live connected, if it forgets the setting when you turn the ignition off?
:thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice job Phil 8) 8) Well done mate :clap:

gilson wrote:Nice Phil, you must have a late Firestorm? I'm having trouble fitting an Acumen DG8 to my early Storm track bike. It's learn't the gears but then it get's confused. Did you have any problems with your gear indicator (assuming it's an Acumen?)
If it's just the gear indicator and not the one with the voltage indicator incorporated then I fitted one of those to my bike. I had trouble like you after I'd programmed it too. The indicator gear numbers just kept changing by itself, even when I hadn't changed gear. I found this only happened if I had forgotten to switch the lights on :crazy:

The main thing when fitting these is to make sure your connections are really good connections, especially make sure you're using a good earth point :!:

Chris.