2003 VTR Opinions?

General Bike chat
Noahrob

2003 VTR Opinions?

Post by Noahrob »

Hi,

I have been visiting your boad for a while trying to formulate my opinion on the VTR. This is a great site with a lot valuable threads and a bunch of enthusiasts. I have been riding for many years and right now have a SV650s which is a lot of fun, but a little underpowered. I am thinking of the VTR, but have a few questions that I would like answered. Can you please advise?

1. Handling - Some of the reviews I have read say it is a standard witha little fairing while others say it is quick and nibble. At 477lbs I doubt it is quick and nibble, but I get on my bikes and want something that I can crank over...is the VTR a good match?

2. Brakes - Again, I have heard a wide variation in responses. Some say they rock and others say they suck...I am hard on the brakes and would put steel braided lines right away, but do they really suck out of the crate?

3. Vibration - It is a big V-Twin...it is supposed to vibrate a little, but I would prefer to keep teh filings in my teeth...what do you think?

4. Reliability - I have read a few threads about the bike stalling at low RPM and something about water pumps going out...is this fact or some pissed off CBR rider?

5. Last, but not least...those huge freakin carbs...is it really only 110mi to the tank? Even the 2003? I heard a rumor of a 2005 Fuel Injected version, but thin the price tag would be way up there.

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

the bikes a beaut, not the best at anything but the most fun I've ever had.
All things can be improved. forks revalved, better shock, brake lines etc
you can go on improving bits as you want.

bottom line is this is my first V-twin, and its bloody good fun.
I get about 25 - 42 mpg depending on how I ride.
Works out more mpg if your going quick rather than slow........odd but true
nothing gone wrong in 15,500 miles.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Ian E

Re: 2003 VTR Opinions?

Post by Ian E »

I've had three VTR1000s from new. 1998 'R', 2000 'W' and now have a 53 Reg VTR1000 F3. Top bikes and excellent value for money.

1/ Handling - Don't believe all the reviews you read - they aren't that bad. I find they handle ok. Get to the edge of the tyres.

2/ Brakes - Fine as standard. Far betting than those on the CBR600s I had before the Storms. Fitting EBC HH pads does improve braking though.

3/ Vibration - Never been a problem. Less buzzy than the CBRs I had.

4/ Reliability - Has been 100% on all three Storms I have had over the last seven years.

5/ Economy - They drink petrol but its worth it! The later larger tank size improves range a bit but still not brilliant.

Cheers,

Ian.

P.S. don't pay over the odds for a new Storm. I was offered a pre-registered zero miles 53 plate one last year for £4800
scottVTR

Post by scottVTR »

[quote="nhr22259"]"not the best at anything"[quote]

According to an American sports bike comparison of all sports bikes the VTR comes out number one in one item, fuel consumption. Uses more than the Harleys even! :?

Who cares all you have to do is stop put in some more go juice and another 160kms of awesome riding awaits. :)

I love the VTR but compared to other bikes I've riden (R6 & GSXR750) the brakes are ordinary (can be improved though).
DD

Post by DD »

Well, it all depends on what you are compairing one to.
I came from a 1100inj Moto Guzzi with Big Brembo breaks, so nothing is going to compair to them however the VTR breaks have never worried me.

The Guzzi had WP suspension which had that many adjestments you could spend all day fiddling, however the VTR isent going to be as good but with a bit of patince I am as happy with the set up as the MG.

The Guzzi had a 19L tank (well it was ment to but 15-16 is closer) and the max distance was 200km (125miles) and the F3 VTR with a 19L tank gets me 250km (156miles)

Handling the MG was a full time job so getting on the VTR is a effortless ride it has never done any thing too bad yet.

Vibration....... shezzz its so bloody smooth compaired to the 2 valve MG that it nearly puts ya to sleep.

As for Reliability sh1t you wanna own a Itialian bike..... I have never heard anything about the water pumps but the CCT's can give trouble sometimes thats all I think.

Now if you want the best then you need a R1 or RSV but try and tour on one of them. The vib thing is a V2 thing you will like it or you wont a mates Bussa that I often ride is very smooth on powering up but on the down rev its bloody terrible give me a v2 anyday. To sum up the VTR is a very very good alrounder.
cheers Darryl
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Totally agree with all that's been said so far, the VTR is a great bike and vastly under rated by all the bike press. Don't listern to them, go buy one and you'll never have so much fun on two wheels.

If you have an SV at the moment then you will find the VTR the same but with the added bonus of lots more grunt and more "grin factor". But be warned...... they are highly addictive :lol: :lol:

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Bink

SV650s

Post by Bink »

If you enjoyed the SV you'll love the VTR...
As far as I know the SV suffers some short comings too! Weak forks, brakes, shock etc... However it is still a cracking bike which is fun to ride.

The VTR might not have the best suspension/ brakes or shock but it never bothered me. I have Braided hoses & standard pads - no problems or scary moments. If you fit a decent set of tyres you'll have a great handling bike and the weight was never an issue and I don't notice it on the go. In fact all lighter bikes are a bit too flighty for me!

Friends of mine who ride GSX-R's, R1's, TLR's, ZX6-R's jahda jadha ... all sports bike ... have riden my VTR and all praise it for it's smooth power and handling.

I've had mine now for two years and no plans to trading it in. She keeps me happy!
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

True highly addictive and I can't help lavishing time and cash on mine, girlfiend walked as a result unfortunately.

" ah well, just me an you baby..." :?
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Firestorm will feel like a bus compaired to the SV. I test rode one of them after a CBR and I couldn't believe how quick it turns in. I thought the tyres were triangular shaped! But like you say, the performance was just not good enough.
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

I've owned more than a few bikes in the past and the Hawk is by far, the most fun. I've never rode a bike that puts a smile on my face so quickly. There are a few minor things that probably could use improving from a racing standpoint, but I don't race it. Put steel braided cables and the braking dramatically increase. I do wish there was a bit more control over the suspension, but no big deal. When it's time to retire my VTR, I'll be looking for another one, hands down.

Scott
ktd001

SV swap

Post by ktd001 »

I had an SV650 previously and there's no comparison. It may be a lighter but that's about it!
The VTR turns quickly (with a set of Bridgestones on) and braided hoses will give you all the brakes you need. That plus loads more grunt, no soggy spots in acceleration, no back end twitching, miles smoother gear changing (you can get rid of the jockey box you need to keep your knackers off the SV's tank), more useable engine braking, nice long gears that you keep you off the limiter and, er, well there's probably more but I'm getting tired now!
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Oh yea.... the storm is 427 lbs, not 477lbs. That's fifty pounds less. Plus if you scrap the stock exhaust you can probably save another 20 lbs. Those suckers are heavy!

Go for it!

Scott
phattire

I Call It Involving

Post by phattire »

I swapped my 2000 VFR 800 for my 2003 VTR, one thing you forgot to mention was----------

TYRES!!!! :lol: :lol:

2,400 miles and they are totally and utterly-- KNACKERED :D :D

Less vibey than a VFR

More grunt (Hence the tyre problem!!) YUM YUM!!!

I get about 140 to a tank.

Look at the links on this site for suspension settings and you won't go wrong. (Went round mallory last Tuesday in 1 min 10sec, only about 9sec off the club racers pace and I was on a stock bike!!)

And as above, Double H pads YUM YUM!!!

Phats
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GO GET ONE----- NOW!!!!

:D :D :D :D
If it's yellow you should see a doctor!!!!
Noahrob

Post by Noahrob »

I am having technical difficulties and can only see the first three replies to this post, which is disappointing, since I would like to read people's responses.
Orange Robbie

VTR 2003

Post by Orange Robbie »

I bought an FY version of the Firestorm in March this year.
I don't find the handling of the Storm as quick as the CBR 600 I owned previously, but I do find it more accurate through the bends due to the longer wheelbase. The grunt moving from a four is brilliant, pulling smoothly from 1500 RPM past the redline, and with a smooth and very linear power delivery. A mate of mine has recently had a SV 1000 as a loan bike, hates it, bugger all power below 5000 RPM and then all the power comes in, his bieng the naked version finds it tiring to ride also, no he aint a whimp, 20K miles plus a year on a bike. I also find that the Storm offers good wind protection in it,s standadrd form. Crusing on a Strom is 80MPH +, low revs very relaxed, can catch you out. As stated in an earlier post, the harder you ride it the better the fuel consumption. I personally don't find the bike particularly at home on tight twisties, but fast long sweepers, excellent.
The suspension I think needs some work, for me on the soft side. Don't know where you live, but there is a place in Atherton, Manchester where a mate of mine had his RSV set up for £40, came back a different bike, or a chappy in Lancaster by the name of Roger who a number of guy's in this forum have used I belive with very good results from what I have seen.
There is also a review on the MCN website, if you click on this link it should hopefully take you through to it. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page= ... eId=932494.
Personally I really like the bike, and there is no bike that is perfect, and bikes will always have negative points.
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.