Fuel Consumption

General Bike chat
steveb137

Fuel Consumption

Post by steveb137 »

What can I do to improve fuel consumption? :crazy:
Before buying the Firestorm I realised that I was not buying the most fuel efficient bike on the market however, reading various posts in the forum, most owners achieve 90 miles on a full tank before the light comes on. On a full tank I am only getting 83 - 85 miles, I do not ride too aggresively so being a novice to biking, what can I do to improve this? :confused
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Consumption

Post by sirch345 »

Steve,
If you're not riding too aggressively may be you're riding it more like an inline four, which would be understandable if that's what you had before the Storm.

You don't need to be revving it right out up to the redline in every gear. You need to make use of the torque as this bike has plenty.

Are you absolutely sure the jets in the carbs and the air filter are standard, as a previous owner could have added after market can's with bigger jets and an after market air filter. Then when he comes to sell it, he re-fits the standard can's but leaves the bigger jets in the carbs, only a thought.

This is not really going to help with fuel consumption, but makes for a smoother gear change :)
I find changing up into 2nd gear asap makes for a less clunky gear change too. I'm probably changing up into 2nd gear between 15 to 20mph.

How many miles has the bike done and when was it serviced last :?:

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

steveb137 wrote:What can I do to improve fuel consumption? :crazy:
Before buying the Firestorm I realised that I was not buying the most fuel efficient bike on the market however, reading various posts in the forum, most owners achieve 90 miles on a full tank before the light comes on. On a full tank I am only getting 83 - 85 miles, I do not ride too aggresively so being a novice to biking, what can I do to improve this? :confused
I don't know about most only getting 90 on a tank. My RLOD comes on usually at about 105 miles - sometimes higher, depending.

Today went out for a fairly quick ride on fast B roads and A roads, filled up at 94 miles with 10.71 litres, so over a gallon left. Now, assume the odometer is 5% out for the bigger back sprocket I have and it equates to 39mpg. Over the 10 years I have owned the bike I average between 36-42 mpg, dependant on riding style.

As Chris (Sirch) says, gets everything back to standard then go from there. I also found that whilst you don't have to rev the nuts off, keep the engine spinning freely and don't plod along in too high a gear as that just seems to waste fuel too.

90 miles to a 16l tank is 25 mpg and just wrong!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

steveb137

Post by steveb137 »

Thanks for your comments guys. To reply to some of the comments:

No I cannot guarantee that the air filter and jets are standard. The guy I bought it off stated that the bike was standard but I don't know about the previous 5 owners! Not being very mechanically minded (yet :lol: ) Is there an easy way of checking the jets?

The bike has covered 19k and there is very little evidence of service records, apparently the bike has always been owner/serviced

My previous bike was a VFR V-Tec.Does this give anyone any further suggestions?

I am hoping to fit some after-markets cans when my financial director (the wife) approves my requisition :D However, this could be a while off yet, much grovelling and housework to do first!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

steveb137 wrote:Thanks for your comments guys. To reply to some of the comments:

No I cannot guarantee that the air filter and jets are standard. The guy I bought it off stated that the bike was standard but I don't know about the previous 5 owners! Not being very mechanically minded (yet :lol: ) Is there an easy way of checking the jets?

The bike has covered 19k and there is very little evidence of service records, apparently the bike has always been owner/serviced

My previous bike was a VFR V-Tec.Does this give anyone any further suggestions?

I am hoping to fit some after-markets cans when my financial director (the wife) approves my requisition :D However, this could be a while off yet, much grovelling and housework to do first!
Steve,
If you're intending to get some after market cans in the not too distant future it would be best to sort out the jetting then once you have them fitted. You could check the air filter and see if it's a standard one (paper filament type), even if it is it may need changing. If it's pretty dirty that may not be helping you with the fuel consumption.

No real easy way to check the jets, carbs will need to be stripped down. You could also check the spark plugs to see what colour they are. If they're black then it's definitely running rich.

You may find you're riding technique will get better as time goes by and the fuel consumption will improve. I imagine a VFR would be revved more than the Firestorm.

Chris.
steveb137

Post by steveb137 »

It appears that the Storm is due a service. The air filter is very dirty and the plugs are black and slightly oily :?
I've ordered new k&N filters and a set of Iridium plugs, hopefully they will arrive in time to fit at the weekend :thumbup:
Is black, slightly oily plugs bad news or just a sign of age? Looking at Chris's comments before is it a sign of running rich? If so this would explain the poor fuel consumption and what can I do to improve the mix?
Hopefully the service will improve things :)
simo

Post by simo »

Are you running standard gearing? 3750rpm @ 70mph :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
VTR Jay

Post by VTR Jay »

:beer:

Have you heard of Hi Clone?

:beer: :beer: :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

steveb137 wrote:It appears that the Storm is due a service. The air filter is very dirty and the plugs are black and slightly oily :?
I've ordered new k&N filters and a set of Iridium plugs, hopefully they will arrive in time to fit at the weekend :thumbup:
Is black, slightly oily plugs bad news or just a sign of age? Looking at Chris's comments before is it a sign of running rich? If so this would explain the poor fuel consumption and what can I do to improve the mix?
Hopefully the service will improve things :)
Steve,
Giving it a service is a good move seeing as it seems like it's due for one, but don't forget if the plugs and air filter haven't been changed for a while I expect the oil and filter needs changing too.

I'd personally see what colour the new plugs are after covering a few miles with the new air filter, then take it from there.

Not wishing to pour water on your fire, but fitting a K & N air filter (if your bike has standard jetting) will most likely give you an annoying flat spot in the rev range if others on here are anything to go by.

To get best results from a K & N air filter and after market can's and to iron out any flat spots you'll need to get it set up properly on a dyno.

Chris.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

I found that cleaningness of air filter have tremendous effect of Storm fuel consumption.
With relatively new filter I am easily doing 200 km to reserve + 40 km on reserve on 97 storm with 04 fuel tank (19 liter) and Arrow race cans.
I am not big fan of KN filters, so I keep on running stock filters.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
steveb137

Post by steveb137 »

Fitted new plugs, air filter, oil filter, changed oil. Hopefully fuel consumption will improve :!:

Just filled tank to brim and will see how far before light comes on this time :think:
simo

Post by simo »

Out at the weekend in Northumberland , lots of traffic, alot of minor roads as well. On one particular tank did 112miles between fill ups. The down side is never got above 80mph so not much of a Buzzzzzz oh and light still was'nt on. And Yes it does work :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
bobthetrain

Post by bobthetrain »

I've just got my first Firestorm, and I reckon my fuel economy is worse than yours! I filled it to the brim last time I put fuel in, and the light came on today at 73 miles. Do you lot get 80-120 miles PER TANK (ie. until it stops) or until the light comes on? The previous owner (who I truly believe was a decent bloke) reckons there's about 20 miles left after the light comes on, which would make it 90 odd miles to a tank for me. It's a '99 bike, so does that mean it's a smaller tank than later bikes? Most of my riding has been in town centre 30mph areas, but not at busy times of day. Incidentally, I'm not worried about the fuel economy, having owned cars like a 2.3 Saab turbo and 4.0 Jeep before, I'm just curious, and wondering if it could point to the carbs need sorting or something similar.
Cheers folks!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fit KM clocks.

This simple mod means you can get up to 170 between fill-ups! (it goes quicker, too). :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

rev it harder, at least 4 - 7k instead of lugging around just above tickover - you will get miles more out of it. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.