hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
jeffz

hello

Post by jeffz »

Ive just bought an old model, 1997 vtr thats been dry stored by the previous only owner. Its only done 6000 miles in total and is in very good standard condition.

Any suggestions regarding service would be appreciated.

jeffz :cool2
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: hello

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Jeff
:D Welcome Aboard :D
I'd start from scratch. Change all the fluids and check all the bearings to make sure the grease hasn't dried. If you haven't started it yet, some oil down the plug holes and turn it over a few times, also might want to let some carb cleaner soak away any deposits for a few days. Battery will probably need replacing.
Take it as it comes, most will depend on how well it was stored.
Sing out if it gives you any problems

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Ello Jeffz

There's a good write up in the workshop knowledgebase about getting a long standing bike back to life.
Rich.

Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome :wave: :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cupasoop wrote:Ello Jeffz

There's a good write up in the workshop knowledgebase about getting a long standing bike back to life.
You beat me to it Rich :)

Welcome aboard jeffz :thumbup:

Chris.
simo

Post by simo »

First thing,paint it RED. Welcome aboard ord rock :biggrin :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome on in matey :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

little bit of time and effort and ......let the good times roll .... "God thats cheesey"
welcome to the forum...ChrisC
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hi there & welcome :wave:

You sound like you have a good one there :thumbup: , low mileage, well stored, prob a right little find. :clap: .
Enjoy the forum and as the guys say, shout if you need anything as their knowledge goes beyond! :D

ABB
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Sat May 29, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
jeffz

Post by jeffz »

thanks everyone for the wellcome :D
jeffz

Post by jeffz »

Pete.L wrote:Hi Jeff
:D Welcome Aboard :D
I'd start from scratch. Change all the fluids and check all the bearings to make sure the grease hasn't dried. If you haven't started it yet, some oil down the plug holes and turn it over a few times, also might want to let some carb cleaner soak away any deposits for a few days. Battery will probably need replacing.
Take it as it comes, most will depend on how well it was stored.
Sing out if it gives you any problems

Pete.l
thanks for the wellcome !

im doing an oil and filter change at the weekend followed by brake and clutch fluid, im going to check the air filter and fit new plugs.
im going to order a rear hugger from pyramid plastics to tidy the back end.

Played around with the rear shock, tried the middle setting but now its a bit harsh so ill take it back a notch or two.

Overall i really like the bike.

Jeff
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:thumbup:
The rear spring is a bit harsh full stop.
Most average built blokes normally end up having it set on the first or second notch. Try a few settings and see how you get on :)

Pete.l
jeffz

Post by jeffz »

Pete.L wrote::thumbup:
Most average built blokes normally end up having it set on the first or second notch. Try a few settings and see how you get on :)

Pete.l
Cheers Pete, ive put it back on the second notch and is much better. Now ill start on the front end, any suggestions ? Ive got the handbook so i have the adjustment details.

i bought a powerbonze hugger today and im looking at the fairing lower from pyramid to go with it. Whats the general opinion on high level cans, who does them and whats best?

Jeff
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

jeffz wrote:
Pete.L wrote::thumbup:

Pete.l
Cheers Pete, ive put it back on the second notch and is much better. Now ill start on the front end, any suggestions ? Ive got the handbook so i have the adjustment details.

i bought a powerbonze hugger today and im looking at the fairing lower from pyramid to go with it. Whats the general opinion on high level cans, who does them and whats best?

Jeff
On the Std forks i think I added an extra line of pre load.
I soon dumped the spring and fitted "Progressive" to be honest. The only real fault with the Storm was its over sprung at the back and under sprung at the front. Get the springs sorted and put a little spacer under the rear shock and you can have a really sweet handling machine :D imho
Love the fairing lower look but I'll let others comment on the exhaust cause I'm not enamored with high cans and you'd get a totally biased opinion :lol: eg, they look sh!te :wink: :D

Pete.l
jeffz

Post by jeffz »

ok, ill try the front preload, any suggestions on a supplier for the rear shock spring ?
thanks again.

jeff