Hi - New to Bikes and Firestorms!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
robwestwick

Hi - New to Bikes and Firestorms!

Post by robwestwick »

Hi,

Just a quick intro, I passed my DAS 18 months ago and have just bought a 99 firestorm from my younger brother and loving every minute of riding her so far (confidence is also increasing). Some people say it is too much for a newbie, but hey it only goes as fast as you make it :thumbup:

However, she died yesterday whilst on the way back from an early morning ride.....

The dials died, followed by a flashing odometer and then as I pulled to a halt the bike cut out. We managed to jump start her only for the same thing to happen again 3 times before we got home - is this the dreaded rectifier issue I have read about elsewhere on the forum.... sorry if it is obvious question I don't have much bike experience.

Any advice would be great or maybe it's something else.
seb421

Re: Hi - New to Bikes and Firestorms!

Post by seb421 »

Hi mate, is it fcuk to much of a bike for a newbie, i think the big lazy twin has to be on of the easiest bikes to ride full stop, the way the twin delivers its power is very confidence inspiring, its like riding a living thing that has a pulse (apart from the bird) if you want to dordle about it will if you want to give it the beans you can and it will hang with the best of them too.

mine gets blown away by my dads CBR954, but it will and does pull away from my mates R6 and another mates 2009 ZX6R from the stand still, wont brake quite as hard tho!! nealy been up the chuff of the others a few times :eek2

As for the R/R issue im sure the others will help but mines still the original unit from 2000 and hasn't failed nearly 27,000 miles I think most of which was done all last year
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you can get a yam r/r or newer finned honda type with the same connector for like 20 notes - sounds to me like thats your problem, whereabouts are you???

oh sorry, just noticed you're in bolton - give tony a ring at pitstop (bike breakers) in lowton, just down the road, he'll have summat to fit.
01942 684684
cracking bloke but can talk the back leg off a donkey so dont go if you're in a rush lol :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

I agree it does sound like it could be the rectifier that has died, especially if yours is still the earlier type, the un-finned type.

Chris.
robwestwick

Post by robwestwick »

Thanks for the welcome!

Replacement reg/rec with fins fitted at the weekend and she is now running like a dream!! :D
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Welcome aboard.

My first bike after a 15 year "break" was a Firestorm (then a SP1, currently on a Fireblade). Is it heck too much...after all, the throttle works both ways.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

robwestwick wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

Replacement reg/rec with fins fitted at the weekend and she is now running like a dream!! :D
Good to know you got it fixed :thumbup:

Chris.
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hiya & welcome :wave:

Glad that's all sorted, mine did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago and mine is a 98 Storm and had 27K on the clock so didn't do badly on the unfinned one for that length of time.

Enjoy the forum, very very informative and the confidence will come,and it won't take long.Just take it as steady as you feel happy with and don't feel under pressure to outdo anybody, they will remember they were once where you are you now, and in fact, the more you go out with friends who have been riding for a while, then the more it will bring your riding on too. Be happy, just enjoy the bike and it will all come together.. :thumbup:
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Sat May 29, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Welcome Rob - I can vouch for the Storm's userfriendliness having got mine exactly a year after passing my test. Only thing I found was that the bike can instill a bit too much confidence - you don't have to think too much about what gear you're in, and the temptation to rush an iffy overtake needs to be reined in, for me anyway. Enjoy the bike & the forums!
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
robwestwick

Post by robwestwick »

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

replaced rec/reg and all is now sweet again
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup: Enjoy the bike :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Hi and welcome, if ur feeling confident by July, how do u fancy coming along to operation storm