General Bike chat
marlbororman

Re: Hot cams on ebay

Post by marlbororman »

Nice one, so it sounds like youve got dump valves then :lol: :lol: :lol:
kevg

Post by kevg »

What vac relief valves?...where do they go then? whats they meant to do like? i re-read the thread and must have still missed you mentioning them.
cheerz

kev
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

soz kev, sort of cross threaded a bit lol - i was looking at intech vacuum control valves but cba spending 200 notes on something that may or may not work, so i got some from flowtech instead - i'll post the part number if i can find the bags or my catalogue.
basically the idea is, the inlet vacuum is approx 20mm.hg, but when you throttle off in a corner and get the BORrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound and the rear wheel hops, the vacuum is massive.
so with these things set at maximum, they will allow a vacuum of 300mbar and then open a port to allow air in, to control the vacuum at 300mbar, but not low enough to interfere with the operation of the slides.
i'm still trialing it atm but seems to do what i want... the engine braking is still there, but nowhere near as severe, meaning i can more or less coast with the throttle off.
if i decide i like it and the plugs dont go white, then i'll mount them inside the airbox, under the filter, with just the inlet hosetail sticking out, where my carb balancing lines plug in.
they were £22.50 each and i get 50% off, so just 22.50 for the 2 - better than 200 lol, seeing as i wouldve needed one for each pot that wouldve been errr :think: lots of wasted dosh.

have a look at the intech thread.
i'll update it with pics of the finished job if i think it's worth doing.

anyway - cams :biggrin
i've been busy!
check out the profiles -
new exhaust vs old
much sharper profile should snap open & shut, with higher lift

inlet - higher lift again with a longer open period - get more in lol

billet steel vs cast oem cams :cool2 hope theyre fkin hardened proper

nearly forgot to knock the core plugs in lol - these are fkin mint, never used lol :biggrin

got them in but decided to have a break then go back & check what i've done.
they'll probably want shimming but i miked the journals and they were same as stock - i'll get the feelers on them tomorrow probably or later if i cba lol.
can't wait to redline it with these babehs in :Ball Kick:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

That was quick, have you stripped yer engine already :D :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yup theyre in lol :biggrin
swapped the apes for TTs as well :thumbup:
might as well do the vacuum things in the airbox while it's off, panel it up tomorrow then see what it's like :thumbup:
can't wait! :biggrin

got some very sexy black art cans coming tomorrow as well! Image
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

benny hedges wrote:yup theyre in lol :biggrin
swapped the apes for TTs as well :thumbup:
might as well do the vacuum things in the airbox while it's off, panel it up tomorrow then see what it's like :thumbup:
can't wait! :biggrin

got some very sexy black art cans coming tomorrow as well! Image

8O 8O 8O 8O Jesus you dont mess aroound do ya 8O 8O 8O

Cant wait to hear the report on this one :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
kevg

Post by kevg »

Sounds excellent, your doing a fair bit of work there, wish i had my bike now to do more tinkering with over the winter, lol.
cheerz

kev
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i can't leave crouton all alone lol - everything i get i have to meddle with :biggrin
keep looking at my old cb thinking about streetfightering it... is bloody nippy for a old 750 but i feel sorry for it every time i go in the garage - it's just a refuge for homeless spiders atm & somewhere to hang my leathers when theyre wet!

was a good bike in it's time :roll:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It'll do you a turn while you're looking for another engine on E-Bay, though.
:lol:

Have you checked that the coils don't fully bind on full compression from the lobes?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:

Have you checked that the coils don't fully bind on full compression from the lobes?
nope! :biggrin
dont think so tho cos it turns nice and no crunching.
id expect it to lock up if it was bottoming out the coils....
just a bit wary of my measurements on the valve clearances as they seem ok but maybe a tad tight at 15 & 30 thou??
hoping to run it tonight but im shattered tbh after a late one last night and being stuck in traffic half the day!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stop bottling it and press the button.....
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ahaaha rofl!!! mate ive checked, double checked, quadruple checked, octuple checked, er :think: done lots of checking, and it all seems fine, but at 1230 last night id had enough lol, paying for it now!
want it tested for weds assuming i get the day off!
see if theres any red riders who like the taste of humble pie lol :lol:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:Stop bottling it and press the button.....
just as well i didnt lol...... checked clearances again, front inlets 15 thou, rear inlets 16 thou, happy with that..
front exhaust rt side 31 left 16, rear rt 12, rear left 8

they should be 16 thou inlet & 30 exhaust +- a few thou...
i reckon i will be on the edge with cooling so i'd rather run on the slack side, and maybe fit a fan on the left?
if anyone's got a spare fan assy, let me know pls!! :thumbup:

best get on flea bay now & see if i can find a shim kit - i'd rather get it right...
just out of curiosity, i rested one of the old exhaust cams on the head and it measured the same... so either someone's fkt up bigtime in the past or i've got some problems with my eyes!
it's a wonder the seats havent burnt tbh...

*anyone spot what i did wrong there???? :problem:
Last edited by benny hedges on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

benny hedges wrote: i reckon i will be on the edge with cooling so i'd rather run on the slack side, and maybe fit a fan on the left?
if anyone's got a spare fan assy, let me know pls!! :thumbup:
Or fit a bigger oil cooler, achieves much the same thing.
I'm planning both, fitting a manual fan on the LH radiator, and sorting out a bigger oil cooler and lines- not sure where from yet.
Gotta be a race one available somewhere.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

measured up the oil cooler on my 750 a while ago :think: looks like i can make it fit...
another simple option is piggy back a 2nd oil cooler on top with the bracket the other way and use compression tees on the pipework so they work in parallel? :think:
still want a left fan tho.

bloody shim kits lol - £3.00 for a single shim or 70 odd for a kit 8O
had to be done unfortunately, can't start it up knowing it's not right - you know what will happen lol :thumbdown:

*btw....
mail from the guy i bought the cams off.....
i asked him for the manufacturer details for the timing info....

Hi Martin, I was told they are HRC from a Belgium
source They came from wsb test team mechanic about 5
yrs ago Thanks Rob

- rouffignach

8O 8O 8O :think: ........................... :biggrin :clap:

ordered some uprated springs as well from tst....
and in the meantime, i'll fit these :thumbup:

cant believe how light they are! including link pipes the whole package was under 4kg! :biggrin