the end of my tether is in sight - won't rev

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kevg

Re: the end of my tether is in sight - won't rev

Post by kevg »

cupasoop wrote:I know everyone is jumping on the electrical bandwagon but have you checked the vacuum pipe going to the fuel tap?
yup, i was gonna say the same a fuelling problem, has the tank been off recenty? are the pipes back on again in the correct places
cheerz

kev
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Gotta be honest i had the same exact symptons and it was the pipe, but think they both checked that already. Id just done the cct`s and was :sick: :Toilet1: When i cranked the ignition :lol:
silversixx

Post by silversixx »

Hi, yes the tank has been off, the carbs drained, and a separate fuel supply rigged up. It made no difference. The only encouraging sign so far is that with the tps unplugged, it ran exactly the same. Right now I'm looking at the possibility of the tps having been damaged when the rec/reg failed and zapped the system.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Keep us informed, I would hate that with all the knowledge on here we could not give you your confidence back in Honda's
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

If the TPS tests ok then unfortunately the next item is the ICM :(
Ride Safe
Phil
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Does the TPS qualify as OK, when u have it set at 520ohm, and as you open the throttle the value increases. Mine does that fine.

Gerrit
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

As a passive component then yes thats ok, fully open it should be about 5K ohms.
Ride Safe
Phil
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Phil-VTwin wrote:next item is the ICM :(
but how does that speak to the tacho?
obviously it gets a signal somehow to count the pulses to calculate engine speed and work out advance.... i think thats the problem...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Yes the ICM uses the IPG to tell it when to trigger the CDI and the TPS to tell it when to advance but both of these are passive components with no direct connection to the battery volts and therefore unlikely to have been affected when the reg blew.

The tacho signal is nothing more than a duplicate of the incoming IPG signal but at a higher peak voltage level to drive the tacho unit.

TIP:
You can test the IPG using a drill press and a magnet mounted on a piece wooden dowel. Spin the dowel in the chuck and hold the IPG close to the spinning magnet, voltage will appear at the connector. :)
Ride Safe
Phil
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I'm with Phil on this.
Don't know if any of you remember but a couple of ECU's got zapped when a few members thought it was a good idea to test their sparks by taking the plugs out and earthing them against the engine cases. Always used to do that in 'the good old days'' with no problem but with far more sensitive microprocessor driven technology "it don't like it up em" :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Phil-VTwin wrote:Yes the ICM uses the IPG to tell it when to trigger the CDI and the TPS:)
for those who are thinking :wtf: - the accronyms refer to the ignition control module, ignition pulse generator, capacitative discharge ignition module and throttle position sensor!!! :lol:
for a description of what these components do and their position on the bike & wiring schematics, get the pdf workshop manual from the workshop forum.... it all makes sense, honest! :roll:

i'm wondering.... when a new r/r is fitted, if it's not a oem honda one with the standard plug connector, does it matter which coil (from the genny) goes where...
is it not possible that something is amiss with the new r/r wiring configuration and that is confusing the ignition pulse and therefore confusing the control module as to what rpm the engine is at and what ignition advance to apply?

i would like to understand the relation between these components better myself as it seems this is not just a freak one-off problem and tbh i'd be extremely surprised if it were a problem unique to the storm, seeing as almost all bikes have a similar ignition system these days... :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

is the IPG a fragile unit? What are the chances that it will work up to 5000rpm, and then stop working? The IPG obviously works on my bike, but could it be the culprit that causes the "rev-limiter" symtom at 5000rpm?

Gerrit
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Gerrit wrote: could it be the culprit that causes the "rev-limiter" symtom at 5000rpm?

Gerrit
thats what i suspect - or the icm isnt reading it proper.
a quick google for rev limiter faults shows loads of cars (mostly honda) with rev limiters working randomly at 3500rpm etc
granted thats mostly on fi engines but there must be a reason for this, if it isnt mechanical or fuel related...
have you thought about putting it on a dyno?
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Yeah I have an opportunity for a dyno - I import the XT range of laptimers and one of the local National SBK racers (BMW 1000RR) bought a laptimer from me at a discount, and offered his dyno use at his tuners workshop for free, catch is, it must be in the week, Now I work for a tyrant and getting off time is the catch, but YES putting the bike on the dyno will probably the quickest way to a solution, I must make a plan.

Gerrit
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

thats the ticket imo, let them know you are having trouble with ignition & suspect an advance problem.
you can bet they will have top diagnostic gear in the workshop and will be keen to sort it...
wouldnt surprise me if you roll out better than ever

how's your bad back doing? must be really painfull.... i prescribe a few days rest. :thumbup: