Introduction & help

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
davech42

Introduction & help

Post by davech42 »

Hi to one and to all. I have been the proud owner of many bikes, blackbirds, gixxers, beemers, rexers, zeds, a chop was in there somewhere too. The one thing all these bikes (and others) had in common was every one of them was unique. each of them i put my own stamp on. sometimes that was over the counter stuff sometimes my own ideas coming to life.
Now i am the very proud owner of a Honda.... Varadero (09) yes i know it aint a firestorm. but i believe the two bikes are close in many ways......brothers you might say.... but one of them ate too many pies :mrgreen: And i am hoping you guys are big enough to see past the differences because i need your help!!!!
I have plenty of time to mess with this as i brought the bike new this January and so it stands to reason i should wait two years for the warranty to run out.Having said that if this begins and spreads as easily as i hope it will it may well be fook the warranty.

My Ideal is for anyone in fair proximity who is willing to meet up to compare cross over pieces for the big Vara over coffees, beers J.D whatever. I am at the moment specifically looking at the front wheel The Vara has a 110 X19 the Firestorm a 120x17. i know the discs are the same size and i reckon they are the same. what i need to know are the wheel spindle sizes for the firestorm the same? and if the spindle spacers etc are the same. To that end i either need to meet someone & take loads of measurements and possibly play with fitting. or get all the details i need.
You guys are the experts (i Hope) is there anyone out there wanna help me create the worlds first (i think) Varadero super moto?

all that being said any info or ideas will not fall on deaf ears.

thanks for listening and hoping for a good response and to maybe meet some good folk
Dave.
benny hedges

Re: Introduction & help

Post by benny hedges »

well i have a spare storm spindle so i could send it to you to compare... or somewhere deep in the workshop forum is a parts fiche that covers both bikes - compare the meerkat.

first job i would say is trash the varadero 45mm carbs and fit the storm's 48mm carbs - pm kemics as i believe he has a spare set.
while you're down there pull out the ally restrictor plates out of the intake rubbers.
afaik the airbox & filter are the same so jetting shouldnt be an issue.

pics pwn :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
davech42

Post by davech42 »

thanks muchly Benny
Carbs no good the Vara went FI in 2003? but nice to know and pass on thanks for that.
yup spindle sounds good send me a PM with a price and ill give you my address for postage.
Dont suppose you have a front wheel i could try out? :biggrin
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

davech42 wrote: Dont suppose you have a front wheel i could try out? :biggrin
ive got a front wheel attached to the bike but i don't really need it, it's only required for parking. :biggrin

cheers for the varadero FI info - i didn't know that...... opens up a whole new world of options :think:
i got the spindle for a fiver and should only be £2 postage - drop us a pm with addy and i'll whack it in a jiffy bag monday :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
davech42

Post by davech42 »

You could always have a whizz over and we could try your lovely front wheel in tha Vara then i know what i need :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
just tried to PM ya mate and coudnt figure out how to ???/ mmmm must be a bit thick. doeas that price mean you want £7 or &£2 will Pm you my address as soon as i figure out how to use the damned thing. :sad2
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just click the username under someone's post, their profile will open up and there is a tab to send a pm. easy :thumbup:
call it a fiver tbh, it's no use to me :thumbup:
davech42

Post by davech42 »

PM for ya Benny :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Dave, this sounds interesting :thumbup:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:D Welcome Aboard Dave :D
It'' be interesting seeing what bits are still common beween the bikes.The early ones had quite a bit but Honda, whilst they kept on developing the Verado didn't do anything with the Storm after 02

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have a feeling that the Varadero swing arm would fit a Storm, and being longer would make life easier for drag strip launches......it's about 100mm longer as far as I remember.
Should take the same rear wheel, too.

And why not just stick the more powerful Storm motor in a Varadero?
That'd spice it up a bit...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote: And why not just stick the more powerful Storm motor in a Varadero?
That'd spice it up a bit...
especially with the fi - get a good map & yeeehaaaaaaaa :biggrin
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome on in matey :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........