cct failure

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stormtrooper69

cct failure

Post by stormtrooper69 »

well toying with idea to do cct's to manual inside a month and yesterday riding along at 30 ish, eased off throttle for lights and then loud clatter from front of the engine (sounded like a bag of bolts loose or its turned into a Ducati). so now have to strip bike and hope theres not much damage. :( anyway choice of when to do it has now gone, moral of the story is when you think of doing cct's dont wait a month cos it will happen.
Jazzscot

Re: cct failure

Post by Jazzscot »

Good luck with the rebuild mate. Exactly the same thing happened to me the very day my manual CCT's arrived. I was lucky because I managed to get away without any damage being done to my front cyl.

I hope you were as lucky as me!!!!!

The guide in the workshop section is spot on. I printed it and hung it on the garage wall when I did it. Really good guide that one.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
stormtrooper69

Post by stormtrooper69 »

its sods law. hopfully i caught it, from the clatter clutch in ignition off probably within 10 yards so fingers crossed. i will be using the post on here for changing them.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hope you're lucky....
If it's only moved one tooth on the affected cylinder you should get away with it.
If it's two, probably touched the ex valves.
Gotta do a compression check or remove the head to make sure, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

stormtrooper69 wrote:clutch in ignition off
that's when it would jump the cog, when you stop the engine

dont attempt to start it again until you have fixed it!!!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
stormtrooper69

Post by stormtrooper69 »

thanks for advice, hasnt and wont start till fixed, hopefully not too bad. cheers
stormtrooper69

Post by stormtrooper69 »

well done the ccts, checked the timing (it had jumped on front cylinder sorted that) , cranked it over by hand. fingers crossed went ok. nervous time pushing the starter button but looks like i got away with it. thank god. :D :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Result!
But I'd suggest a compression check on both cylinders just to make sure that there's no slightly bent ex valves.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.