Oil leak from gearbox SP2

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beamish

Oil leak from gearbox SP2

Post by Beamish »

I think I have managed to bloody break another bike! I have oil dripping down from gearbox final drive shaft under the front sprocket. I thought these SP's had a cassette type gearbox but from the workshop manual it looks like its not :eek2 I dont fancy the frickin bill from a crankcase split! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
warby221

Re: Oil leak from gearbox SP2

Post by warby221 »

Looking at it Jim it’s the same setup as the firestorm gearbox
So as long as the bearings ok just get the seal pulled as it comes off towards the sprocket
Think I’ve got a seal puller somewhere if you need it
It’s a bit like a corkscrew with a wire cable attached
To get a shop to do it shouldn’t be too costly it involves removing the cover the sprocket and chain from the engine then pulling the seal “as long as they have a puller that is” probably an hour pluse parts
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i pull them with self tappers - easy.
drill a tiny hole into the seal metal ring and screw a self tapper either side.
pull it out evenly with pliers.

best to clean the shaft & surrounding area spotless before you take the old seal out.
mr muscle foaming mousse ftw :thumbup:

if you pull the round spring out of the old seal you can use it to tap the new one in,

have a look at the gearchange seal while you're there.

have you been overfilling the oil???? :roll:

*tip when you remove the gearbox sprocket cover, leave one bolt in the clutch slave cyl - but before you do that, remove the clutch lever,
it puts pressure on the clutch master cylinder pushrod. if you remove the lever no fluid will leak from the slave cyl.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Brilliant this is all good news, the oil is at the top level after a recent top up but I am about to drain it for a full service so I can check, is a leaking seal a common fault for overfilling, I am assuming the overpressure blows the seal? Whats the best way to check the shaft bearing for wear without a bloomin micrometer or should I just change the seal and hope for the best. I will order a new seal along with the service items and give it a go. Top advice as usual :D
Wouldnt mind I had just ordered the new speedo sensor from the great US of A £65 cheaper than rip off Britain.

Thanks guys :beer:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

bet you get hit with import duty lol :lol:

you can get both gearchange & sprocket seals from wemoto bud, cheap as.
or if you get them out intact just go to your local bearing / drivetrain place as it will no doubt be a common size.

when you have the seal out of the output shaft, see if there's any sideways play / up & down.
i'm sure there will be some tolerance but it won't be much...
id very much doubt it's fkt tho tbh or it'd be noisy / whining on take off, like a car with a fkt gearbox.

yes overfilling oil can blow seals but afaik (on hondas anyway) it's usually the crankcase seals that go.
but tbh i think to do that youd have to fill above the level of the oil pressure relief valve then it would be smoky as crouton anyway...
plus it's belch out of the breathers & crouton your air filter up...

tip when you put the new seal over the shaft, wrap some tin foil or sellophane round the shaft to avoid damaging the lip on the new seal.
also be carefull not to turn the lip inside out or it will piss out!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Thanks mate, top tips always save money. Because the sensor before postage is under £50 it shouldnt attract any vat but we will see.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

£18 is the cut off for import duty :thumbdown:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Booo :thumbdown: still $67 or £147 gotta be worth a punt. :thumbup:
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Beamish wrote:I think I have managed to bloody break another bike! I have oil dripping down from gearbox final drive shaft under the front sprocket. I thought these SP's had a cassette type gearbox but from the workshop manual it looks like its not :eek2 I dont fancy the frickin bill from a crankcase split! Any info would be greatly appreciated.

That's one of the reasons why I got shut of my SP1. It was jumping out of 2nd gear under full throttle, and I didn't fancy the bill to split the cases. Now why cant all bikes have a cassette gearbox like the 04-07 Fireblades???
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Wierd......stripped off the fairing, cleaned up the area, ran the bike and there is no oil dripping from anywhere :confused I will have to keep looking as I know there was a leak at some point and I dont fancy coming off due to oil on the back tyre. The oil level is normal just below the max on the sight glass with the bike upright and the oil hot. Any ideas? I started to look at the clutch and the oil cooler but all appears dry. Will look more in depth this week when I get the time.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Could it be oil from a Scotoiler or over-exuberant chain lubing?

This usually collects in the sprocket cover.......

There and all over the rear tyre sidewall, anyway.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Good call but I sat and watched the oil drip forming at the bottom of the gearbox selector input shaft (on sunday after a blast). Could the outside air temp coupled with engine temp just have been high enough to cause a weep? It was a scorcher that day. I will still have to change it for peace of mind though.