Things i should do when carbs are off (standard storm)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dazjm

Things i should do when carbs are off (standard storm)

Post by Dazjm »

Any suggestions please, i have a few of my own, but i REALLY dont want to put it back together, and realise i should have done something!
Dazjm

Re: Things i should do when carbs are off (standard storm)

Post by Dazjm »

I had an issue with petrol escaping from the tank when i removed it. It completely saturated the spongy pad thats stuck the underside of the tank. Could i replace it with any kind of sticky sponge, or does it have to be some special type. I think a replacement is about £30 which i thought was a bit steep for sticky sponge!
benny hedges

Re: Things i should do when carbs are off (standard storm)

Post by benny hedges »

while the carbs are off, you could check the valve clearances and fit an adapter to the vaccum plug on the front inlet stub, makes it easier to balance the carbs, which you should do after taking them off.

you will need to replace the foam - it's there to soak up petrol and make the bike spontaneously combust in your garage.
without it you will never get a claim in.

i got a piece of it stuck to my shoe and didn't know until i'd walked through the living room and put indelible smelly black patches all over the carpet :thumbdown:
just for timbo's benefit, i'll explain how i got the stains out - first i hoovered up and succeeded in spreading the marks all over the room, so i sprayed them with cif mousse which is good for removing most stubborn grime.
this also did a good job of making the stains bigger, but gave the room a refreshing citrus smell instead of stale petrol.
the next day i went to asda and bought some vanish stain remover - specifically formulated for removing stains like mine. perfect.
best thing about putchasing this product from asda is the mrs works there so i get 10% off if i produce her staff discount card.
while i was there i also bought some finger rolls which were reduced to clear, and 8 cans of caffreys, also on offer.
i was debating buying some barbecue stuff but thought it might rain at weekend and i'll probably be out on my bike anyway.

when i got home i read the instructions on the stain remover - it's not as simple as just spray it on and the stain vanishes, as the name suggests.
i sprayed it on each individual patch and then dabbed it with a cloth, repeat, dab, spray, dab etc until the stain is gone.
it took quite a while due to the amount of marks, and once i'd started it made the rest of the carpet look dirty.
so instead of dirty patches ive now got clean patches.
i might have to hire a carpet cleaner and do the lot :think:

so for timbo's benefit - my point is, check your shoes before you walk across the carpet, especially if you have been tinkering in the garage, and if the foam under your tank has got soaked in petrol and fell off, otherwise you too might get stains on the carpet and have to face the wrath of your mrs and then have to scrub it clean. :thumbdown:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.