Leaking exhaust?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Fozzie

Leaking exhaust?

Post by Fozzie »

I'll try and cut a long story short. Got a set of viper stubby's for peanuts from a guy that took them off his Duke. Got my grubby little mits on some cheap brand new viper link pipes too. Now the link pipe fit is poor to say the least but with some well placed washers I've got it to a point I'm pretty happy with. My only issue is the link between the cans and link pipe is pretty loose and leaks. I've tried stronger clamps and no joy. I've tried Holts firegum and that gets sprayed about by the escaping gas and looks messy. I thought about welding or brazing but as I don't have any kit it would cost more than the cans. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking something like that chemical metal stuff along the joint. Would that give me a gas tight seal?
gilson

Re: Leaking exhaust?

Post by gilson »

Get some high temperature Silicone sealant. Wurth do some good stuff which is for head gaskets and similar and is resistant to 180Deg C. This should be enough for the link between the cans and pipes. I've used it on my aftermarket pipes as they link just after the rear cylinder, it's a lot hotter than 180 but it seems to work OK. Most motobike shops have it, I doubt Halfords will.

It might smoke a little, but after it's cooked it should be OK.
No bike (yet).
gilson

Re: Leaking exhaust?

Post by gilson »

This might be an overkill, and possibly too permenant:

http://www.wurth.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/UK-CD_05_0485.pdf
No bike (yet).