954 Forks > UPDATE NOW WITH 954 BARS :)

General Bike chat
seb421

Re: 954 Forks

Post by seb421 »

Update;

954 Forks, Clamps (yokes), and Bars all fit like a dream with no modding at all to the fairings. glad i just thought wombles it and ordered the 954 bars any way.

just uploading pics now.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

To see multiple pics and lock to lock etc see this link

No modding to the bike at all.

Lock need's putting in and also have the HISS sensor unit of the 954 to make it look good, (wont work but looks trick)

Tank needs fittings correctly and top bolts in clamp arnt in but everything is fitting just fine

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/ ... =slideshow

seb421

Post by seb421 »

The front end of the bike has lowerd quite a bit, about an inch and half maby more?

and the riding position is a lot more race like now with the bars and the dropped front, feels better than it did as stock.

Still need to put that rear under tray on correct (needs clips through the holes) and need to put the undamaged black tank on and put that tank on properly

you can see its gona be some wired colours till i get it painted up.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

All looks good...decent progress!
seb421 wrote:The front end of the bike has lowerd quite a bit, about an inch and half maby more?
Umm..wont that have changed the geometry of the bike? Are the forks shorter than the original forks? If so, then it is going to be very skittish to ride...after all, dropping the yokes on most bikes by a few millimetres makes a massive difference.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
seb421

Re: 954 Forks > UPDATE NOW WITH 954 BARS :)

Post by seb421 »

Will just have to wait and see, i have read a lot of posts on using these forks and read nothing but positive improvement and feel,

hopefully i can road test it before i get banned.

Only issue im having at the moment is the throttle cables, they are far far to long now.

wonder if i can get shorter ones or use the throttle unit and cables from a 954? any one know if this is possible?
seb421

Post by seb421 »

just bought a RR2/RR3 twist grip throttle assembly and kill switch gear as the storm twist grip and kill switch combo will not work on this bar unless i drill into the bar, and dont fancy doing that.

might get some rental grips too? or do think it will look fiddler?

hopefully i can see the firestorm bits on ebay.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

seb421 wrote: the storm twist grip and kill switch combo will not work on this bar unless i drill into the bar, and dont fancy doing that.
you can just grind off the locating lugs on the throttle housing and killswitch housing with a dremel or file - the little pins that locate into the holes in the standard bars....

i had the same thing with vfr bars, ground off the lugs and they fit fine :thumbup:

considering using the switchgear off my cbx (to match the master cyls which are already on the storm) cos i prefer the integral killswitch rather than the separate unit on the storm, and on the left bar there is a thumb choke instead of fumbling round under the tank for that poxy button effort.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I was thinking about doing that, but as it locks the throttle in place I thaught knowing my luck I will be miles from home and it will loosen and slip round when I twist the wrist giving bugger all control.

The RR2 RR3 looks to use a twist grip that uses the switch gear as part of it's housing so had to get both. Will try it with the storms cables and if that's two long will probably have a paddy and then order the blade ones.

Have you swapped the forks on yours benny? wondering if it's gona be harder to turn in with it sitting lower, it shouldn't be should it?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

seb421 wrote:
Have you swapped the forks on yours benny? wondering if it's gona be harder to turn in with it sitting lower, it shouldn't be should it?
no m8, just dropped them thru the jokes a bit. tbh it falls into corners now lol, no problem going round bends at all.
& if the screws are done up tight on the throttle & stuff, they don't move at all.
just wondering if you get the blade switchgear if the connections will be the same on tother end?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

i was thinking that about the connectors, but seeing as its the same buttons i came to the conclusion that i could cut and snip if needs be?

wombles wet dream broke down again last night.... think its some kind of fuelling issue, as unless its ridden with hardly any throttle then it suffers from starvation, think the carb's/needles may be clogged.

the bike will feel like its ran out of fuel, leave it for 5 mins engine off, every now and then twisting the throttle..... then fire it up and it gets going again
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

seb421 wrote:
the bike will feel like its ran out of fuel, leave it for 5 mins engine off, every now and then twisting the throttle..... then fire it up and it gets going again
#i'd suggest carb or tank breather is blocked / maybe a tired diaphragm in the fuel tap (if it has one?)
Buckers

Post by Buckers »

sorry for being ignorant but why put on 954 forks?

Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to get an sp1/2 or other sportsbike?

I mean I like my vtr but if I wanted to go quicker I'd get a bike more suited to going quicker?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Buckers wrote:sorry for being ignorant but why put on 954 forks?

I mean I like my vtr but if I wanted to go quicker I'd get a bike more suited to going quicker?
Buckers,
Now where's the skill in that :wink: :plainsmile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seb,
Glad to see you've found out the 954 bars will fit.

IMHO the reason must be why others (may be not all) who've done the Blade USD fork conversion recommend higher bars (such as I mentioned before I.E. heli-bars, spondon or converti-bars) is because as you mention the front end is now lower than with the standard Storm forks. Using higher bars may be to help take some of the now added extra weight off the front end by allowing your body weight to sit slightly higher than it will with 954 bars. Hopefully you'll be able to try it as it is soon to see how you find it, then take it from there.

Your bike by the way is looking very nice. The silver tail section goes very well with the blue :thumbup:

Chris.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Buckers wrote:sorry for being ignorant but why put on 954 forks?

my bike was smashed up, that's why.

plus wouldn't be able insure a 1000 cc super sports, tried to get insurance on my dad's blade but I couldn't afford it, storms are dirt cheep to insure.

and as I'm aware forks dont add any more horses.... to any bike, no