Carrillo rods came in....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Carrillo rods came in....

Post by mik_str »

My custom Carrillo rods finally arrived today. The weights (as measured on a digital scale) are the following:

Carrillo Rear: 457.1g (78.8g; 14.7% - OEM Rear: 535.9g )
Carrillo Front: 456.3g (82.3g; 15.3% - OEM Front: 538.6g)

(N.B. OEM rods are an extra set I bought on eBay with the original intention to use before deciding to go ahead with the Carrillos).

Weight difference from stock is in brackets, pretty significant IMO. As this is reciprocating weight, it should result in an engine that spools up noticeably more quickly (especially when working with the lighter flywheel, pistons, rims, brake rotors, aluminum clutch plates)....

I will be getting the crank assembly balanced to the new bits too, for smoother running and greater durability.....

Coming soon: one kickass rebuilt VTR engine... muahahahahahah
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
benny hedges

Re: Carrillo rods came in....

Post by benny hedges »

pics & £££ pls :thumbup:
interested in new pistons & rods for mine when £ permits.... :twisted:
i suppose the lighter rods will offset the heavier hc pistons?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Micky,
That weight difference from your new rods compared to the OEM ones sounds interesting to me as well. Do keep us posted on your opinion once you've managed to get around to fitting them. Having it all balanced with the new pistons and lightened flywheel that you all ready have should be well worth doing IMHO :thumbup:

Cheers,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Hi again :)

regarding the piston weight, while I do not have the stock pistons out to weigh them, someone on the superhawk forum posted OEM piston numbers some time back and the OS JE's I have are around 30g lighter (going from memory). THis is surely due to their forged construction (as opposed to cast for the stock slugs). The loss of about 100 or so grams (combined) of reciprocating weight should not only result in an engine that gains (and drops) rpm much more quickly, but also reduce stress on all parts for better durability and longevity (bike is a keeper now given what I have invested in it). Needless to say I am looking forward to getting it done and out on the road (although the latter likely won't be until next spring due to a local phenomenon knows as winter, lol).
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Mik_Str said
Coming soon: one kickass rebuilt VTR engine... muahahahahahah
Gotta love a Man with enthusiasm :thumbup: Especially when he's still modding :wink: It's going to be quicker to list the bits which are still standard soon :lol: :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

How right you are Pete. I am working on shortening that list yet, with a Graves aluminum fairing stay and SP-2 speedo waiting to be installed.....

When done (if ever, lol), it will surely be one of the meanest and well rounded VTRs out there..... :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hey, looking good with those mods- jealous? no......
Not really.

My JE's came in today, so that's the next little game, but go careful with all the lightening- here's why:

One of the great strengths of these engines is the grunt from low down form near-on tickover upwards.
If you want balls-out top speed then maybe an IL4 or Ducati-style cams will deliver.
But if you try too hard to get really light internals you may just find that you lose out on that lovely, creamy, low end, and then you could lose the ability to get the thing off the line.

Not sure yet, as I'll be trying a lightened flywheel on mine, but as a comparison against another VTR with a stronger engine I was able to launch up the 1/4 mile drag strip quicker every time.
Anyhow, good luck with the winter rebuild- bet your local dealer loves you.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.