How D.I.D. I manage to trash my chain so quick...?

General Bike chat
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

OK, I just bought an O-Ring version, but the chain I put on in the Spring is trashed - 3000 miles max - to say I'm unhappy is an understatement!

It's always been cleaned and lubed, it's correctly aligned and the sprockets are OK... I'm not a wheelie monster, I do ride fast - but I was having to take a turn of adjustment after every trip to Paulines (156 miles, ave 90mph)..

Personally I think D.I.D. have some explaining to do - has anyone else trashed a chain so quick...?

:(
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

cliveyandrews

Re: How D.I.D. I manage to trash my chain so quick...?

Post by cliveyandrews »

I've just bought an EK O-Ring cheapy for £20 (was £65) - from Fleabag....

If it lasts 6 months I'll have saved for an X-Ring Tsubaki...

:thumbup:

Audi, Vide, Tace

cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

"D.I.D. Proffesional O-Ring Chains are warranted only against manufacturer's defects in material and workmanship for 6 months from the original purchasedate or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The warranty begins on the date shown on the sales invoice or receipt."

Well, I guess as I bought it last year, and just took my time to fit, I are be proper buggered!

:thumbdown:

Audi, Vide, Tace

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cliveyandrews wrote:OK, I just bought an O-Ring version, but the chain I put on in the Spring is trashed - 3000 miles max - to say I'm unhappy is an understatement!

:(
there's your problem - it's because of the sub-standard spring.

that's quite sh1t tbh - are you sure it was a genuine article and not a blag one?
did you change the sprockets at the same time or just the chain? worn sprockets will eat a new chain in no time & vice versa...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Truth to tell, I didn't do the sprockets - they looked near new - when I buy the decent chain I will however (prob -1t on front)

Does make me wonder if the chain I bought wasn't pukka - it came with a split link (I got it from Wemoto IIRC, so you'd assume all is well)

Ah, well, nowt I can do now - I might get one of those oilers - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUTORO-MOTORCYCLE ... 2309e62aea

Audi, Vide, Tace

cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

OK, I will - I was baseing it on the RiDE reviews...

Audi, Vide, Tace

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

get a proper scottoiler clive - the v7 universal one comes with everything you could possibly need.
ive got a newish one here that im not using atm cos my vac relief valves keep airlocking it...
ive been using dry ptfe spray instead which imo is the best thing since.
i'll have a think if i want to let it go, but ive seen just the oiler unit go for a tenner on ebay, the rest is just pipes & fittings.
worth doing tbh as you want at least a year out of a chain & sprox set.

also another possibility for the rapid wear - check the condition of the cush drive next time youve got the wheel off.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

cliveyandrews wrote:Truth to tell, I didn't do the sprockets - they looked near new - when I buy the decent chain I will however (prob -1t on front)

Does make me wonder if the chain I bought wasn't pukka - it came with a split link (I got it from Wemoto IIRC, so you'd assume all is well)

Ah, well, nowt I can do now - I might get one of those oilers - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUTORO-MOTORCYCLE ... 2309e62aea

Hold on, back right up. You put a new chain on old sprockets? There's your problem....the new chain will wear like wombles. Always change the sprockets when putting a new chain on.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/002 ... st&sd=DESC

Did 27k with this set on my cb1300, wasnt dead then either. Gold O ring, lightweight sprokets highy recommend.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

still on same chain and sprockets i bought it with years ago, chain has seen 15t 43t sprockets too, before going back to 16t 41t :):)
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Zakalwe wrote: Hold on, back right up. You put a new chain on old sprockets? There's your problem....the new chain will wear like f*ck. Always change the sprockets when putting a new chain on.
Yes, I did - in 30 odd years of biking - I've never thought it an issue, and have never had premature chain wear - I can see the thinking though....

I can't afford sprocks at the mo, and have ordered a cheap EK 'O' ring to keep me mobile.
When I have the cash I will get sprockets as well as chain.

Audi, Vide, Tace

Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

cliveyandrews wrote:
Zakalwe wrote: Hold on, back right up. You put a new chain on old sprockets? There's your problem....the new chain will wear like f*ck. Always change the sprockets when putting a new chain on.
Yes, I did - in 30 odd years of biking - I've never thought it an issue, and have never had premature chain wear - I can see the thinking though....

I can't afford sprocks at the mo, and have ordered a cheap EK 'O' ring to keep me mobile.
When I have the cash I will get sprockets as well as chain.
I have put new sproks on a 3000 mile old chain. 14000 miles later it is still going strong. But have heard that the other way round really buggers the chain up.

Don't scrimp on drive chains.......a set of smashed casings will be a lot more expensive to replace if the chain snaps.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Buggers your ankles up too...!

No, the chain is good, just an 'O' ring, surplus stock jobbie - reduced to "Clivey Price" lol...

The only thing is it comes with a spring link, the D.I.D. did too - so I've ordered a rivet link in it's place :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi, Vide, Tace

Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

I'm with Zak, its not worth scrimping. Just grabbed a Renthal Drive Kit comprising sprockets and an R4 SRS Chain for £135 from B&C.
Sure, its not cheap but what price do you put on a solid final drive?
I'm am surprised to read about chains for the VTR coming with split links :wtf:
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That thought occurred to me too.
Another thing is chain adjustment. I'm not saying you did this Clive but, a lot of riders run their chains too tight. This will also cause more rapid wear.

Chris.