How hot is too hot?!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dazjm

How hot is too hot?!

Post by Dazjm »

I have an R6 reg/rec on my machine, noticed when i was stripping the bike, that the spade terminals and about an inch of the insulation of a couple of the terminals had been cooked. Turned brown and brittle.

I noticed that the reg used to get very hot, almost instantly after turning on the engine. Too hot to leave ur finger on for more than a second. Checked the charing voltage and its about 14.3V pretty constant.

Ive since cut off the offending bits of wire and put new spade terminals on the end, and reinstalled the reg/rec. Turned it on and it immediatly started cooking the spade terminals ( noticed a little burning plastic smoke coming from the connections, not huge amount, but noticeable.)

I read recently someone said that the regulator could start dumping a lot of current to ground if it as faulty, this could explain the intense heat? Would i be able to test for this, or should the baking terminals be indication enough?

Just wondered if anyone else with this mod has had similar problems with the connections.
benny hedges

Re: How hot is too hot?!

Post by benny hedges »

might just be getting hot cos of the bad connections.
i do thermal imaging on electrical panels at work and 99% of the time, overheating contactors and busbars etc are caused by loose or corroded terminals.

but it could be faulty if it gets so hot so quick...
maybe keep a eye out for a spare one cheap just in case it pops
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGULATOR-RECTIFI ... ycle_Parts

Anyone bought one of these?

CBR 900 uses the same type of reg/rec i think?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

looks very similar to the cb1100 r/r i have on mine.
no problems with it so far and it fits the standard plug.
and it runs cool, well, warm but not hot.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

Just tried out the above reg/rec. Works ok so far, doesnt get as hot as the R6 one i had. Still hot tho! Charging at a pretty steady ~14.4v.

Couple of things i could use an opinion on.

I was trying to balance the carbs, using the 2 ball bearings in tubes method. They didnt seem far out, the moving ball was roughly 3-5 mm out of line, my question is, how the hell do you access the carb sync screw? Any hints?

Also, maybe more worrying. Since i stripped down to valve clearance job, and put a "new" set of carbs on, im hearing a sort of medium pitched whine/whistle. Not noticeable on tickover, more prominent once the given some revs, doesnt seem to get louder with more revs, maybe a bit higher pitched, if anything, i notice it less due to the other noises. Im sure it wasnt there before.

Ah well, at least shes ticking over! One minor oopsie was walking away from it once it was idling, coming back and finding it had pissed out about a litre of coolant from the lower joint hose, which id forgotten to tighten......
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

before you adjust the carb sync make sure the clips are tight as crouton - i reckon the noise is a bit of a leak.
use a 8mm socket on a long extension - 1/4 drive is perfect.

the carb screw... take the 2 bolts out of the front of the tank & wedge sumat between the tank & airbox lid so the tank is raised.
make sure it cant fall down when your hand is under or it'll fkin hurt.

the screw is on the lefthand side, halfway along, underneath the tank.
again, 8mm socket is best imo, as if you use a screwdriver you will push the screw as you turn it & get a false reading.

give it a revving between each adjustment to let it settle down.
you need the bike at normal running temp, no choke, set a high idle, around 2-2.5k

like i said, check for any vac leaks before you start.
spray easy start or wd around the carb joints to test it, the revs will change when you spray it if there are any leaks.

dont set it on fire with the spray lol - & your method might be a bit more accurate if you restrict the tubes a bit by pinching them with a clothes peg.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Dazjm wrote: Couple of things i could use an opinion on.

I was trying to balance the carbs, using the 2 ball bearings in tubes method. They didnt seem far out, the moving ball was roughly 3-5 mm out of line, my question is, how the hell do you access the carb sync screw? Any hints?
Daz,
The ball bearing that moves in that type of balancer (same as I use) needs to move the same amount either side of the stationary ball bearing, then the carbs are balanced. I take it you mean the ball bearing that moves is moving roughly 3-5mm to the left or the right of the stationary ball bearing. If that's the case then they will benefit from adjusting.

I do the same as Benny, use a socket to turn the adjuster. Once you get the hang of adjusting the balance you'll find it a lot easier to do, as with most things.

Chris.