Rear CCT leaking oil

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Giddsy

Rear CCT leaking oil

Post by Giddsy »

It is leaking oil which is coming through the nut and down along the bolt. The picture tries to show this. It is only a very small amount. As per previous posts I seem to be losing about a litre every 1.5k miles but I would like to sort it. Any ideas on how to fix this? Don't spose I can just use a bit of sealant on the bolt? Is that a bit of a bodge?.!

Cheers

benny hedges

Re: Rear CCT leaking oil

Post by benny hedges »

after my near miss and blacknek's disaster, you really need to get some threadlocking compound on the long bolt, just in case it decides to unwind itself on you.

i was lucky enough to catch mine before it did any damage.
this will make the bolt stiff to turn and will also seal the thread so you wont lose any more oil.
probably best to mark the thread where it is now, set the timing mark to tdc, unwind it, degrease it, then apply some threadlock and do it back up.

wonder if that's where it's all been going then? :think:

is that just crap on the earth lead or has it blistered / corroded?

and your shock spring is going rusty lol! :silent:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Cheers Benny,

To check I have this right as I didn't put the ccts in so not hugely familiar with it all.

Is the bolt coming out totally? Or do I just unwind the locking nut and degrease etc with the bolt in position/

Thanks matey...
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Oh yeah - it is crap on the earth wire and I know I need a new shock really!

And yeah reckon this is where all the oil is going so in the end a bit of a result...

Cheers again
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just wind it out a bit m8, so the threadlock goes into the thread when you tighten it back up :thumbup:
when it goes off it's still possible to move the bolt, but it will be stiff as crouton & will definately not vibrate itself loose again. ever!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

benny hedges wrote:just wind it out a bit m8, so the threadlock goes into the thread when you tighten it back up :thumbup:
CAUTION!!!!

There are two possibilities of the cam position when you set the engine at TDC at the crank.
One is the safe position for undoing the CCT, and the other one ISN'T :!:

To find out which one, take off the rear cam cover and look at the cam lobes.
If they're pointing upwards (above horizontal, anyway) it's the right TDC, but if they're pointing downwards and pushing the valves down then DON'T TAKE THE CCT OUT.
Rotate the engine 360 degrees at the crank to get to the correct TDC position.

Sorry to be shouty, but you can kill your engine real easy at the wrong place.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:
CAUTION!!!!

Sorry to be shouty, but you can kill your engine real easy at the wrong place.
np, was assuming that as he's fitted the manual cct's, he would know how to find tdc on the compression stroke.
if you cba taking the covers off, put your finger down the plug hole ((if you can reach lol) and feel for compression.
there wont be any when the valves are open!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Don't know what all the fuss is about.
All you have to do is stop the plunger rotating and undo the locking nut. :roll:
Give it a degrease, slap a little hi heat silicone into the thread and onto the back of the nut and do it back up again.
That will cure two problems in one go. The silicone will seal the oil leak and act as a locking agent to stop it coming undone.
I did over 15thousands miles on mine like that and never had a problem. Also silicone is not as permanent as some thread locking agents.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good point, Pete, and thinking about it that's all I did to mine last time.

KISS, eh?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

8O 8O 8O
Okay, not that I'm paranoid but what does K-I-S-S mean?
Is it some anagram I'm not aware of or has my gaydar broke down and Tonies made a pass at me :?:

Pete.l
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Keep it Simple Stupid, is what you have to hope he ment. otherwise it may just be internet grooming :lol:
AMcQ
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

There seems to be a gay biker theme happening...stop it now..please..... :eek2 i do not and dont want to be affiliated with chocky pushing into the pink...it wrong and god punishes thee that pops ya wee wee into the pickle tunnel......
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

There seems to be a gay biker theme happening...stop it now..please..... i do not and dont want to be affiliated with chocky pushing into the pink...it wrong and god punishes thee that pops ya wee wee into the pickle tunnel......
Gayest thing ive read on these forums!
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Great - thanks guys. Liking the KISS idea.. keeping it simple that is, not kissing forum members by way of gratitude...
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

I'm not kissing any members whether they are on the forum or not :eek2

:biggrin
Should have got the simple stupid bit on my own, that's the best discription of me yet :oops:

Pete.l