My Black Storm!!

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
nora2004

Re: My Black Storm!!

Post by nora2004 »

Right then, im off out with the new setup, see what its like, dropped the rear shock setting down to its softest aswell asfter talking to Roger, it was on number 5! lol And with me been only 12st kitted out it was wayyyyy to hard, funny though as it didnt feel it really!

Report when I get back :wave: !
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

Im back!!

And what a days ride! lol Went upto Teesdale, onto High Force, Alston and Hartside then down into Penrith, stopped off at my caravan for some grub then back upto Hrtside Cafe to meet up with some mates!

What can I say, its a different bike all together, the turn in rate is quite alarming for such a heavy bike, same with changing direction at speed! It always felt as if my front tyre was under inflated, very soft wallowey front end, always wanting to run wide unless I hung off like a bloody monkey to force it round a line!

But now, I can lean with pretty much pin-point accuracy now, hit every apex and keep as tight as I like, to the point I was scraping the pegs on pretty much very tight corner, something which Ive never done before on it!

Now I mentioned meeting up with mates for a reason, I knew 1 of them and he is new to biking on a zx636r, but some of the others were experienced, so much so that the guy on the Kwak always raved about how fast they were, saying one lad was the quickest rider ever, a riding god! LMAO!!

Now one lad is on a 1 year old ZX10R, the other on a 4 yr old RSVR and the god god rider on a brand new RSV4R and little ol' me on my 100hp Storm!

Destroyed the Mille and the Zx10R, the lad on the RSV4 was with me the whole the way, I pulled at a few points but nowt major, eventually I dropped off and let him past, and again he couldnt loose me, even had a few looks up the inside but it was farrrrr to dangerous to be overtaking at this pace on the road, eventually me and him had to stop for a good 5 mins for the others to catch up!!! lol

I love my Storm to bits, a £1400 bike running circles round top end, high spec machines costing over 10k! lol

FIN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nora,
It's good too hear you're very pleased with the upgraded forks by Roger Ditchfield. It is unbelievable how much better the upgrade makes the Firestorm isn't it :thumbup:

It's great too hear your exuberance of excitement from your new found confidence due to the forks upgrade, but do take care out there :!:

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

nora2004 wrote:
I love my Storm to bits, a £1400 bike running circles round top end, high spec machines costing over 10k! lol

FIN
:clap: well in! says it all.
money well spent :thumbup:
had similar comments tonight about how awesome it sounds when it flew past, from a brand new z1000 owner and k1200 rider!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Same thoughts exactly. Been for a good blast today on dry roads with the new suspension and 15 tooth sproket. Getting the bike over to the edge of the tyre on most corners without much effort and it just stays on track with no fuss what so ever. Better handling than the Mille i had when they first came out and the Falco that followed that. Not bothered with looking at the speedo anymore or i think i would ease off so just stick it in the corner and grin :D That front sproket has made so much difference too, goes like a rocket in every gear and quite happy to lift the front in 2nd off the throttle when i asked it to :D Can't think of a bike i would swap it for and even better is that it only cost me £600 off of the insurance company , what a bargain :beer: What a bike :thumbup:
would make more use of a set of butt sliders these days
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Really enjoyed this thread guys. Very well sorted bike. Love the comment that a £1,400 bike can mix it with more up to date machines. Looking forward to bringing mine to a similar spec. :biggrin
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sounds like you are very happy Nora. Good to hear. Confidence in your bike + confidence in your own ability is a real leveller.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Wow,what a read!! Sunderland, not that far from where I used to live (other side of the tunnel and up the road to Whitley.. 8)

Nice bike. glad you got your plate. I made my own up online for £6.99 bargain and put my slogan on top n bottom, boys from SW will testify, as they've seen it lol..

Image I wouldn't trust a bit of sticky stuff so had Dave put it on properly, just keep forgetting to cap the screws off!!

Rear LED with indicators, can't remember now who was asking, but mine was already on my bike when I bought it, but then found this one and bought it for Daves bike, boys have seen them in action..It was cheaper than mine and looks just as good if not better... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VTR-FIRESTO ... 334ec7b6cd

Looks like you just need a bellypan on it...Don't know if you've seen this site, but it may have some bits you want?
http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/vtr.htm

On the Jaws site, they have a link to the company who made the seat on my bike, which I bought from another member, what a godsend when we rode to Swansea from Dumfries! Comfy as fook on the butt cheeks with the built in geLastic etc..
http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/ worth their weight in gold!

I can't make out your cans, but they look a lot like mine..Again, boys down SW England can testify to their tone!!! Image
Hope this lot is of some help..
ABB.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

And another update!

Doing a bit of ebay watching scored me some mint SP1 calipers for £60, a Cbr929 Master cylinder for £30 and a brand new set of EBC HH's for £20!

Off work today so fitted em all, and what a tw@ on I had bleeding them, took forever! lol

But there on now, took it out for a short ride to bed them in, and theres a huuuuuuuge difference, really makes the std setup feel like pushbike brakes! lol

Cant wait to get out on the twisties with them!

Next up, rear shock!

Ohh, and pics, pretty pants ones, but meh, gives you something too look at! lol

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

So where are the pictures of the pretty pants?
:Drool:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

Sooo, went out yesterday to test out the new brake setup, and by god its better, found myself getting cocky and braking as late and hard as I could to get the back wheel skipping about! lol

Anywho, went back out today to test out the some cams I got, but it was raining and the roads were wet so no hooning about for me, although I did get this! lol

[youtube][/youtube]
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

sh1t that was close ! Sheep eh that's one problem i don't have round my way lol.

Looked really damp and still hooning it ,nice one.

PB. :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nora, that sheep did look pretty close to me too 8O
nora2004 wrote:And another update!

Doing a bit of ebay watching scored me some mint SP1 calipers for £60, a Cbr929 Master cylinder for £30 and a brand new set of EBC HH's for £20!
I think you did well in getting the new front brake set-up for that money :thumbup:
I see you already have braided brake hoses.

Chris.
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

So started doing a bit of work the last week on the Storm, giving it a bit of a refresh, so lots of paint and lots and lots of new stainless nuts and bolts etc!

STarted off with stripping thr forks back and painting them up, looks much tidier now, then started going through the bike with new stainless bolts and what not, still need to order some more to finish that off tho!

Yesterday I pulled off the rear linkages and was shocked to find the shock pivot bearing well seized, as you can see I had to cut the bolt to get it off the main bracket, then smash the sh1t out off the pin to get it out the bearing! lol 2 others were also wombles, needles in the bearing were rusted and just fell out when got the pin out, but not bad for 18k, cold of been worse! Got some new bearings coming, also gonna pop in some grease nipples to prevent it happening again!

Then tonight, stripped off everything I want powdercoating, everything in the crate is going satin black, wheels and hub gloss black, then a few little brackets etc will be painted up by me!

Oh you can also see my homemade bike stand, as trhere aint no stand on the market which allows the swinger to be removed, so an hour or 2 later and this was the answer, works a treat if a bit ugly though! lol

Still debating whether to get the swinger powdercoated or not?

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

eek, got that just a bit late :lol:

Will ride much better with that lot fixed though, and the stand is a good solution :thumbup:
AMcQ