Headlight removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
cunningstunt

Headlight removal

Post by cunningstunt »

While trying to change the headlight bulb tonight the spring clip that holds the bulb in has come off in my hand!
Firstly i haven't got the foggiest how it goes back in so i was wondering if anyone has the headlight unit in their spare parts that they could take a photo of the back section so i can figure that out and secondly, if i have to take the unit off the bike is it as easy as the four screws and it comes out or do i have to take the clocks and the support bar off too?
would make more use of a set of butt sliders these days
benny hedges

Re: Headlight removal

Post by benny hedges »

tbh it would be easier if you took the fairing off bud.
the clocks & bracket stay on.
all you need to remove is the 4 allen bolts (2either side) and a screw underneath near the rads (if it's fitted)
oh, and the mirrors.
and dont forget to disconnect the daylamp connector, and put it back on when you reassemble as it's impossible to get at with the fairing on!

if you are stuck, get a copy of the shop manual from the link in the workshop section - there's a section in it that shows how to remove the fairing.
the fairing comes off with the headlamp attached, so there is no need to remove the headlamp to refit the clip... unless you have broken something lol.
it just hinges under a little flap and then clips over the bulb base on either side....
you will see when you have got the fairing off.

you cant get the headlamp out with the fairing on though, dont even try lol!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I had the very same thing happen to me. I found the best option was to remove the fairing complete with the headlamp. You can then see much better how it fits back.

I tried loads of times to fit that spring clip back without removing the fairing first, but failed miserably.

Chris.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

Just been to look at the manual via the link. All looks straight forward really if not a lot easier than i thought. Will whip it off tomorrow and sort it out. Thanks guys :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just watch when you put it back on.... connect the daylamp, support the sides and line them up over the rads, line the tabs on the headlight up with the 2 rubber grommets on the fairing bracket - dont force anything!!!!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

I will be carefull not to break anything else but you never know!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

have a helper, it is a pain with 2 hands but easy with 3 hands..........even one of the kids will do, but dont shout at them too early or they run off crying and drop the faring.
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If need be put a towel on the front mudguard so you can rest the fairing there
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And drape a couple of bits of rag over the side topmost fairing mounting brackets- they're sharp and can easily damage paint.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

All done with the help of my wife for the third pair of hands :D Forgot i had the bikeviz led's in the airscoops though but a pair of cutters and some crimp terminals have sorted that for next time if needed. Mended the headlight spring retainer with a washer so it sits properly now and cheaper than another headlight too :D Fairing went back on better than it came off and seems to line up properly now too so all good. Thanks for the help guys :beer:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done.
I wondered about putting all wiring (to headlight, sidelight, indicators, and in my case indicators in mirrors) to a single block connector, to make fairing removal easier. Why unplug four or five things when you can just do one?

Anyone done this?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cunningstunt

Post by cunningstunt »

I did it on a coulpe of beach buggies i made for headlights,sidelights, indicators and wiper motor so if i needed to take the bonnet off then as you say, one plug and all off. I might try it on the storm for indicators and leds if i can be arsed now it's all back together :lol:
mattster

Headlight removal

Post by mattster »

Good work on getting the clip back on! I recently discovered that my storm doesn't have one.... A previous owner obviously wasn't as patient as you lot!
I think this may be contributing to the piss poor visibility at nighttime (even worse that the thundercat!)
Anyone know if you can buy them separately?
Or... Would anyone be able to post a pic so I try to bend an old coat hanger to fit?
Cheers!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

mattster wrote: Anyone know if you can buy them separately?
Or... Would anyone be able to post a pic so I try to bend an old coat hanger to fit?
Cheers!
go a local scrapyard and take one off a car - they are all the same.