SP1 Bought.... Not Happy....

General Biker Banter
tonyf

Re: SP1 Bought.... Not Happy....

Post by tonyf »

Man the pitchforks, gather the stones!! :D Thanks guys - loads of support which I really appreciate. So massive thumbs-up from here...

As Trading Standards were open today, I thought I'd hear something, but nowt as yet. They have his name, address, e-mail address and phone number. I even know where he works so all avenues are open for compensation. He actually works in the banking/credit-card industry which would be very poor for him should he be taken to court for mis-representation of goods. More than one-way to deal with a lying clunge... :D

I couldn't resist taking all the fairings off today when I got back from smashing 80 golf-balls to have a look and its pretty good underneath. The exhaust down-pipe on the rear cylinder appears to have a bit of a blow by the bracket which I'll examine tomorrow.

My opinion right now (and my opinion will change from minute-to-minute) is to go for the complete refund route including my courier costs.

I like the bike but as Pete says, even when I get it right (and by fook - if I do it, it will be mint) - would I be wasting my time. The 'money' investment is not high as it is all there, it appears to be un-restricted and all I need to do is clean and service it.. But, how much less is a Jap import worth? Is it 10% less? Is it as bad as having a Cat C/D marker? I dont think so - but I aint an expert....

Time for a beer I think..
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

tonyf wrote:Man the pitchforks, gather the stones!! :D Thanks guys - loads of support which I really appreciate. So massive thumbs-up from here...

Time for a beer I think..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Holy Sh!t It's quarter past five :eek2 Definitly time for a beer :beer:
See ya!
:lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Beered up and now time for bed...

I sent the bloke a polite e-mail and I've just received a reply - he is definitely standing his ground. This is going to go on and on....

Night y'all!
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

No need o change the clocks......You can change the speedo to show MPH and miles on the odo by holding down the buttons on the clocks when you switch it on (I cant remember the correct sequence....search on Speedzilla).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Zakalwe wrote:No need o change the clocks......You can change the speedo to show MPH and miles on the odo by holding down the buttons on the clocks when you switch it on (I cant remember the correct sequence....search on Speedzilla).
Nice one Zak, didnt know you could do that on the SP, I knew the Apes could be changed on the clock assy but not the SP. That is a definate bonus.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

Hi, this is a real bummer for you. I have had a bit of experience with issues such as this and will offer the following advice. This is not meant to sound harsh, just realistic.

You are obviously disappointed, and I would be too. I have been to see many bikes that look mint in a picture ( just washed, nice and shiny etc ) only to find a right dog after driving 200 miles ! Right now you need to put emotions aside and deal with the facts.

It really comes down to how the bike was advertised, do you have a copy by any chance ?

I wouldnt play on the condition side of it as that is subjective, one persons immaculate is another persons poor. Keep to facts.

Did he say it was a uk bike ? If he didnt its up to you to ask, he doesnt have to disclose it. I dont think him stating 'miles' is enough, did he say the speedo says miles ?

Did he actually say full Honda service history ? Again if not its up to you to check it.

As I said its all down to facts, by him stating a fact and that not being true you have grounds for a full refund, if he didnt say and you didnt ask then there is not a lot you can do, as they say buyer beware.

In my opinion I wouldnt bother with trading standards, cab or any thing similar. All the information you need is readily available on line, check the facts, decide if you can deal with it yourself, if not get a solicitor.

The other thing it might be worth looking at is the 'distance selling' regs, as you effectively bought the bike over the phone without seeing it, and it was delivered to you not collected in person. You may have a right to a refund within 7 days for any reason, even if you just change your mind. Although I am not sure if this is applicable to private sales, it has to be worth a google, I will try and find out as well.

The other thing you need to bear in mind is even if you are totally in the right, if he wont play ball then court is your only choice, this could take months, and even if it goes in your favour it doesnt mean you will get your money. If he can prove hardship then he will be asked to pay you a £1 a week. And remember a court can order someone to pay, thats not the same as forcing someone to pay.

Chin up and good luck. :beer:
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

I think I'm going to change this thread to "It shouldnt happen to an SP1 buyer". :(

Just looked at the Distance Selling Regulations and as he is a 'Private' seller, not a trader - it looks like I'm pretty much gubbed. The only aspect I can probably get him on is the description of FSH. The fact he has not disclosed other information is down to the fact that I have not asked the question.

Oh well, I'm just going to get on with it. I'll continue my pursuit with Trading Standards, but will now finally accept that the bike is mine and get on and enjoy / make-it right. :)

:D

Sunny day, time to play... 8)
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Good man. Put it down to experience. I know how unpleasant being duped can be but there are positives to be had from it. Hope you get it confirmed that it's the full power version. Enjoy making it your own. Now get out there and ride it and have fun. :) Good luck and keep smiling.
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

As I said in my original post it is not restricted in power at all just limited to 112mph..........
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Good news..... :D

Not restricted plus I've come to an amicable agreement this morning with the seller who has agreed to pay me some compo to bring this to a close.... :D
I now view the bike as mine and have started work on getting the bike right.... Fairings are off and I'm underneath the bike covered in $hite sanding and polishing the exhaust. I know no-one will see it under there but I know its there.... Bring on that OCD Clarkey!!

Massive thanks to everyone on the forum who have offered advice and support. Brilliant :thumbup:

I'll post some photos later on as the strip-down and rebuild commences...
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Nice one :thumbup:

Like I said earlier-it's still a tidy SP :D Enjoy :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Result! :thumbup:
err, when you're done can you come round and polish ine too? :biggrin

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Pete.L wrote:Result! :thumbup:

Pete.l
Nice try Pete - I tried to get my youngest (6 year old) to help me. He is absolutely brilliant at cleaning stuff up on bikes - he has decided to do nothing all day apart from play with lego so failed there....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pete.L wrote:Result! :thumbup:

Pete.l
With a sander?

I'll pass, thanks.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

LOL!