Next bike - BMW F800 GS

General Bike chat
geodude

Next bike - BMW F800 GS

Post by geodude »

Close to deciding on this. Really like the fact its good off-road but not as heavy or high as the 1200.

I want a bike to commute/tour on. The storm is wasted on the daily commute.

I may wait for the VFR800X but I doubt that'll be too good green laning.

What do you think?

PS. This will not be replacing the storm!!
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
benny hedges

Re: Next bike - BMW F800 GS

Post by benny hedges »

have a look on youtube bud, that is a well useable machine!! :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
geodude

Post by geodude »

Exacty what I'm doing mate. lol
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
geodude

Post by geodude »

[youtube][/youtube]
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Dont know about the 800 but I know lots of people having big problems with BM at the mo. Mainly electrical but lots of other issues also. Make sure you really do your homework before going for the kill, if you are buying within warranty its not such an issue as BM are brilliant with after sales but once outside 8O big bucks!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
geodude

Post by geodude »

Beamish wrote:Dont know about the 800 but I know lots of people having big problems with BM at the mo. Mainly electrical but lots of other issues also. Make sure you really do your homework before going for the kill, if you are buying within warranty its not such an issue as BM are brilliant with after sales but once outside 8O big bucks!

Thanks Beamish. I found a list of issues and recall notices but can't find it again now. Pfft!!!

I didn't do any research before getting the storm. lol
geodude

Post by geodude »

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

:eek2 Wow, I know recalls are usually erring on the side of caution but that is a lot of recalls on one type of bike over the coarse of two years! I wonder just how many corners are being cut to keep the bike priced competitively. I would talk to some owners and ex owners though before making a decision as some recalls are just nonsense.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
geodude

Post by geodude »

Thanks Beamish. Just asked on another forum
http://www.bikerforum.co.uk/forums/bike ... wners.html
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Geo,
I have to say I like that little GS, and it is well rated as both a road bike and its ability to do green laning as well

there was a good test in BIKE magazine last year where they took the BMW enduro GS450X, the F800GS and the R1200GS adventure all out green laning................everyone was seriously impressed with the ability of the 800, and the guy on the 1200 had a sense of humour failure!

As an aside, I have been strangly drawn to a BMW But I will start a new thread on the subject rather than hijack yours [dont know why I am being so thoughtfull, forum hijacking is compulsary here :lol: ]
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

Thanks Al. :thumbup:

I have booked a test ride for Saturday. Even though I asked for crash bars and mentioned it was watching Chris "Teach" McNeil that convinced me to try the F800 GS, he still booked me in :twisted:
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Had 1 as a courtesy bike, reckon i would lose my licence on it easier than on the k1300, the small screen does a very good job at keeping wind off you at 90-100mph, but it is so easy to ride that you end up riding like a tw@ cos you can and its hell of good fun.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I spent a bit of time riding a F650 GS (same engine, different state of tune and taller final gearing) the first year it came out and found the engine to vibrate more than I liked (particularly at highway speeds). I would hasten to guess that the 800, with its shorter gearing and higher state of tune, would be shakier yet. While that is by no means the only measure of a bike, its impact on long-distance rides would have me seriously questioning laying down the money down for either example. While it's not yet in productiobn, the new Tiger 800 seems like a promising alternative.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
geodude

Post by geodude »

I had some fooking awesome fun today test riding both the F800GS and F650GS with the F650GS winning by a margin. Only because the F800GS was just too tall and even with the 3cm lower seat, I still would have struggled.

Anyways, full report and Videos to follow.
geodude

Post by geodude »