Wheel touch up paint

General Bike chat
Pop H

Wheel touch up paint

Post by Pop H »

I have a 98 Firestorm and recently decided to remove the bright yellow rim tape put on by a previous owner. Some of the wheel paint has lifted in a few places. Has anyone got any ideas on some cheap touch up paint which won't look too botched?
benny hedges

Re: Wheel touch up paint

Post by benny hedges »

use the colour code under the seat, get a tin of 1 pack mixed up at halfords to match the rest of the bike
13.99 for a 400ml rattler & a fiver for a touch up pen
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pop,
I'm assuming the wheels will be black and not silver for a '98 model too, in which case Ford Graphite Grey (Metallic) will be a pretty close match. Most car accessory shops should stock it. I just spray some of the paint into the can top, then using a small kids paint brush just touch up the damaged area's.

Chris.

PS. I see it's your first post. Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Hmmm ... my wheels on a 2000 are the exact same colour as the fork legs. It's a silver with a greyish hue .... did I see it called light pearl grey? Can I get that made up in Halfrauds? Thought I saw on RS paints site will look later.
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
Buckers

Post by Buckers »

So could you use the same paint on fork legs. the paint on my front forks has gone ugly.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Swagger,
I can't help with the silver wheels paint code I'm afraid :thumbdown:

Buckers,
I see no reason why the same paint can't be used on the fork legs, followed with a good coating of clear lacquer for that extra protection.

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Halfords (for a change) can do some stunning paint matches so I'd use them. Make sure you try and go when it's a quiet time as when they are rushed they will spend less time getting it right. I had to match up some paint to a Ruston and Hornsby stationary engine from 1934. A sort of dark green olive colour. I went mid week and the guy spent 3/4 hr getting an absolutely perfect match. Incredible. Paint it on and then really struggle to see where you have just applied it. Great job.
I have used RS paints when I had a problem with the Mica yellow on my 'Storm fairing and it wasn't that good a match even with the correct underseat code quoted, but that is a bl%dy awful colour to try and get right (even though it's the best colour overall so there; yah boo).
Explains why I did my new lower fairings in the Ford graphite grey metallic spray to match the engine casings rather than that yellow!!!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Stormy Steve

Post by Stormy Steve »

My 2001 Italian red Storm,has gold wheels.

Anyone got any idea as to,where to find the code for these?

Steve.