fuel gauge

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alec

fuel gauge

Post by alec »

Is there anyway of fitting a fuelgauge on to my 98 storm i have had a search through the forum but cant find anything on this,
cheers alec
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Stratman

Re: fuel gauge

Post by Stratman »

I doubt you can, but can't see why you would really?

When you fill up, ride on the trip not the main odometer. At about 80-100 miles, pop into your next petrol station. When RLOD comes on, do this in the next 20 miles. Refuel. Set trip to zero. Repeat process x 100 if we get a decent summer :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

alec

Post by alec »

Stratman wrote:I doubt you can, but can't see why you would really?

When you fill up, ride on the trip not the main odometer. At about 80-100 miles, pop into your next petrol station. When RLOD comes on, do this in the next 20 miles. Refuel. Set trip to zero. Repeat process x 100 if we get a decent summer :D
Thanks for that, i wasn't sure how far i could go on the red light, and i'm hoping for a decent summer need to get out as much as possible,
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
alec

Post by alec »

KneeWobblers wrote:I get 27 miles on the red light, until coff coff splutter splutter, red light always comes on between 98/102 miles, never get less than 125 per tank even when riding with AMCQ :lol: :lol:
Cheers, so as long as i fill up after about 15 - 20 miles from when the red light come on i should be ok, i'm used to bikes with fuel gauges so i suppose i was spoilt lol
alec

Post by alec »

FirestormMike wrote:It can be done, see here.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 71&start=0
Bit of a faff though.
Do they dothose instructions in english too :crazy:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The rules of Firestorm riding are:

1) always have the trip milage displayed, I dont know what total milage the bike has done as I have never looked at the readout in the last 10 yrs! :lol: you only care how far since you last filled up.
2) Brim the tank.......dont fill up on the side stand as you wont get as much in, stay sitting on the bike and keep it upright when you fill up.
3) reset trip after every fill up
4) as you get close to 100 miles start looking out for petrol stations

then repeat till you run out of money

note........if you have a newer one with bigger tank, the milage in step 4 will be a bit higher
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KneeWobblers wrote:I get 27 miles on the red light, until coff coff splutter splutter, red light always comes on between 98/102 miles, never get less than 125 per tank even when riding with AMCQ :lol: :lol:
at track day I got 70 miles till the red light, so now you have thrown down the gauntlet we will have to see what we can do when the roads dry out a bit :lol:
AMcQ
alec

Post by alec »

AMCQ46 wrote:The rules of Firestorm riding are:

1) always have the trip milage displayed, I dont know what total milage the bike has done as I have never looked at the readout in the last 10 yrs! :lol: you only care how far since you last filled up.
2) Brim the tank.......dont fill up on the side stand as you wont get as much in, stay sitting on the bike and keep it upright when you fill up.
3) reset trip after every fill up
4) as you get close to 100 miles start looking out for petrol stations

then repeat till you run out of money

note........if you have a newer one with bigger tank, the milage in step 4 will be a bit higher
thanks for that, i'll keep it on trip mileage from now on, and the running out of money part wont take long lol
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Yep, that's the way to do it - and plan your routes with 100 mile breaks. Not just for fuel - to rest your brain, to stretch your legs (and shoulders etc), take on cool fluid (on hot days), take on tea (on cold days), take on chippy food (on all days) - doesn't do anyone any harm to take a break when riding a bike!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Oh, and by the way Alec, your avatar is driving me nuts.... it's soooo distracting! :Tongue5:
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
alec

Post by alec »

bandsawman wrote:Oh, and by the way Alec, your avatar is driving me nuts.... it's soooo distracting! :Tongue5:
Oh ok i'll change it then !!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF