WORKSHOP DAY.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
robwestwick

WORKSHOP DAY.

Post by robwestwick »

I'm really looking forward to this day, get some guidance on my CCT's and meet some fellow Stormers!!

I'm relatively new to bikes and would like some basic maintenance tips (I can clean and polish the bike!!)

Apart from some screwdrivers and small sockets, is there anything else you want me to bring Tony?
parkergb6

Re: WORKSHOP DAY.

Post by parkergb6 »

Hi guys,
Is there still space for the workshop day on the 19th. I'm looking to do CCTs and would like some guidance. I'm also going to replace the standard brake lines with braided hoses. I was looking at HEL lines. What do you guys think of these. Going to do clutch line as well. Would you guys recommend the race type setup,over mudguard set-up or standard set up.

As far as tools go what would I need to bring. I know I keep going on but there is so much info on CCTs I cant decide which type to go for. I would like to fit them and forget them. So any advice please.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers Geoff
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

All that's fine, we can get that lot done on the day.
As regards brake lines, I've never noticed a difference between the two setups, pads and M Cyl's make more difference.
But I'd guess that the shortest lines would be the better ones.

I've PM'd you my address and contact details, see you at 10 on the day.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

did i read it right someone is going to bring down some manual cct's is that for us to purchase or just for there own bike?
ill buy a set and stick em on on the day
i could do with ure adress again i been there but cant remember how to get back ha ha
east london/essex [leyton ]
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Yeah I will bringing some spares down like before for anyone that wants to purchase them.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

cool send me a pm price and stuff is it the same ones posted some here else?
recommended by other users of this fine forum?
im toying with getting hagon progressive springs for me forks
is that doable inone day? do i need special oils to go with em
any internal fork gubbins? seals?
shims sound the longest to do
i could postpone them
and since im having stuff molested in that department should i consider new spark plugs? if so what brand model
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can get a fork spring kit, Hagon do one including oil, if it was me I'd choose 7.5 weight oil but anything lighter than the standard stuff will help.
Hyperpro also recommended.

You could also replace all of the seals, and both fork slider bearings( upper and lower)in each side for a complete job.
But if they're not leaking you could leave well enough alone.

Trouble with shims is that all the work goes into getting to them. Measuring them doesn't take long, but if one or more needs replacing it's a huge waste of time to put it all back together while you order shims in, then strip it and install.
I have some, though, of the most common sizes, and so we should be able to get the job done.

However I can't guarantee this will be the case; if I don't have them in stock there's nothing we'll be able to do on the day.

Iridium plugs are a definite improvement on the standard ones, either NGK or Denso are fine.
elric

Post by elric »

Any spaces left?

Not sure if I will have CCT's by then, getting my alarm first and will likely have it fitted but if I can't find something I need to do (there are a few things in mind) then I'd like to watch the CCT's in prep for my attempt. If nothing else I'll make tea, be a spanner boy, take some snaps and join the run out afterwards :)
It's only easy if you know the answer!
alec

Post by alec »

Hi Tony,
looking forward to the workshop day, i'm not sure if my carbs need balancing (i'm sure you'll tell me) but if they do is there anything i need to be able to do this, ie parts.
cheers alec
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For carb balancing I have all we'll need, but the front take-off point is a complete b*st%rd to access, best done by tank and airbox off, carbs off and heat shield off, unless you have tiny, thin, double-jointed hands.

For that reason most people fit a permanent take-off, which is usually a small brass pipe that screws in and you can then leave a length of rubber hose permanently attached, with a stopper at the end when it's not being used.
You can tuck it away out of sight between balances, but makes balancing a 10 minute job instead of two hours.
(assuming you have a balancer).

I happen to have a spare one you can have for a couple of pounds, and we can install it on the day between us (although you'll be doing most of the work!)

I'll then balance your carbs for you.
alec

Post by alec »

tony.mon wrote:For carb balancing I have all we'll need, but the front take-off point is a complete b*st%rd to access, best done by tank and airbox off, carbs off and heat shield off, unless you have tiny, thin, double-jointed hands.

For that reason most people fit a permanent take-off, which is usually a small brass pipe that screws in and you can then leave a length of rubber hose permanently attached, with a stopper at the end when it's not being used.
You can tuck it away out of sight between balances, but makes balancing a 10 minute job instead of two hours.
(assuming you have a balancer).

I happen to have a spare one you can have for a couple of pounds, and we can install it on the day between us (although you'll be doing most of the work!)

I'll then balance your carbs for you.
i'll take you up on that deal mate put my name on it, i dont mind doing the work but am a complete novice, although i did do my cct's ok which is something else i might get you to check, many thanks
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

if the tops for for a cct change and possibly shim fettle can the carbs be done in 10 mins as u mentioned?
do we have to get hold of stuff like locknut blue ?
blob748

Post by blob748 »

Hi Tony, i live in Meopham. Really interested in the workshop as i have 3 VTR,s. Would be great to have some input. Is it ok if i come along?
Regards
Med
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stockpiling for Mad Max times ahead???
blob748 wrote:Hi Tony, i live in Meopham. Really interested in the workshop as i have 3 VTR,s. Would be great to have some input. Is it ok if i come along?
Regards
Med
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Darknomad wrote:if the tops for for a cct change and possibly shim fettle can the carbs be done in 10 mins as u mentioned?
do we have to get hold of stuff like locknut blue ?
No, I've got some.
Carb balance is only 10 minutes if the front cyl adaptor is already fitted.