press start and dies

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
elric

press start and dies

Post by elric »

I have an intermittent problem and will look at it more next weekend but being intermittent i doubt it will happen when i want and will be a bugger to find. I think i will have to wire in some leds so that I can get a clue when it happens again.
Ignition on and all is well, panel lights etc.
press start and everything is instantly dead, no power anywhere. wiggle key and no change, wait for a min or two then I try the key and all panel lights etc back on and starts as if nothing was wrong.
RnR seems perfectly fine and is finned.

Most of the time it starts no problem, never misses a beat when riding or ticking over, only ever happens when i hit the start button.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Due to my wiggling of the key I doubt very much it is in the ignition, and this makes me think the only place is inside the start relay.
Maybe the start motor is stuck and sucking all the power away but I would have thought I would still get a smidgin of power to light at least something on the panel.
I tidied up the wiring around the starter relay this weekend and thought it might be that but alas no such luck.
LotusSevenMan wrote:Cut and pasted this entry I made on the HOT STARTING topic. Seems very similar!!!!!!

We get a lot of grief from Caterham starter motors due to the headers being very close to the solonoid so crawling in traffic cooks it. Usual problem is after filling up at a petrol station and you get the 'click-of-death'! That's the solonoid on the starter not pulling in correctly. All you hear is a click.
Let it all cool down (having faced the shame of pushing it off the forecourt) and leave it a while. It then starts as if there was never a problem!!!

Suspect the 'Storm suffers a similar fate so clean all the starter components as in brushes and make sure all the electrical cables are cleaned too and making a good contact. Use an assembly grease like 'No Crode' on the terminals to ensure all is OK in that dept and....................................................... good luck!!!
benny hedges

Re: press start and dies

Post by benny hedges »

try bypassing the relay with a jump lead from the + terminal to the post on the starter....
let us know what happens.
also check the main earth strap form the - terminal to the frame....

defo sumat simple m8
are you absolutely 100% sure the battery is fully charged and the battery terminals are good & tight?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 on the loose battery connection
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
elric

Post by elric »

Thanks for replys guys,
I will check out your suggestions.
It's only easy if you know the answer!
elric

Post by elric »

:clap:
Well done guys, positive battery terminal appeared to be the problem.
It's only easy if you know the answer!