Replacement Seat

General Bike chat
FlyingElk

Replacement Seat

Post by FlyingElk »

Hi all!

I recently got my first Storm, and she's a beauty! '99 with only 4k on clocks! Man was I thrilled to find her.

Anyway.... Am now planning a lengthy trip (2000 miles or so) down through France etc. with my pal and his VFR800. Having done a few long runs on the storm already and discovered just how unforgiving the seat is, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good replacement seat which might be a little more butt friendly? I've looked at corbin's but i'm staggered at the cost. Anyone know of any others?

Ta very much

:beer:
Wicky

Re: Replacement Seat

Post by Wicky »

Never had a problem with long distance hauls on the storm - but if you do and can't afford a corbin try gel pads or eat more pies ;-) Alternatively take it to vehicle upholsterer and have them stuff it with whatever you feel needs adding. Also look at touring screens like the skidmark flip screen which makes 90mph+ cruising a breeze.

Have fun heading south to the sun and come back with pics!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
FlyingElk

Post by FlyingElk »

Lol at the donut cussion!!! "Fire retardant cover available as an accessory..." WTF?!

Thanks all for the hastey replies. I'll give Jaws a call tomorrow about the melboy seats. They both look nice but I'm hoping to keep the pillion cover too so will need to speak with them about that.

I have a double bubble at the minute and to be fair it seems to do a fair job of shielding all 6'2" of me from the wind. Is there a big difference with the flip screens?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I had Tony Archer rebuild my seat with extra foam and gel pads, he does a good job, but if you want gel in both rider and pillion, then the cost goes up a fair bit [think is is £60 or 80 for each pad before he charges for the recovering as well].

looks fairly standard:

http://www.tonyarcher.co.uk
AMcQ
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Funny, because I've never found the Storm seat uncomfortable - in fact the TDM one gives me more elbow ache because all the weight is going through there rather than being spread across the shoulders etc. Most upholsterers that I spoke to didn't recommend gel at all and said that lots of people who had it fitted asked them to remove the pads later.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

FlyingElk wrote: Having done a few long runs on the storm already and discovered just how unforgiving the seat is,
Strange not many people complain about the seat :confused
I would think that the rubbish suspension both back and front they put on the Firestorm maybe the cause of the problem you're having here :idea:

PS: forget the Gell seat, just get some padded leathers :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
FlyingElk

Post by FlyingElk »

Lovely thanks all again for the continued responses! Lots of food for thought... Will keep you posted as to what I finally go for.
:thumbup: