Top Speed?

General Bike chat
simon t

Top Speed?

Post by simon t »

OK, Bike magazine this month has the Storm up against an SV. According to their test the top speed of the Storm is 143mph. Last time they tested it, (July '02) they got 158! So much for precision testing :roll: They also have it it elsewhere in the mag (rag?) as 151.

So what is the top whack, and if they've got it well wrong, should we all write in - "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" etc :D
bluesman

According to data I have

Post by bluesman »

from several different magazine reviews it came out always between 152-154 mph.
It might be down to a lot of different factors, like a wind, rider size .. including manufacturer sponsorship :wink:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
simon t

Post by simon t »

Oh and the article also said it had got a light clutch and good mirrors, so maybe it wasn't a Storm they tested at all :?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Last time Bike tested the 'Storm they arived at 157.50 mph.

All of which i s baldrocks because I get really bored with people coming past on long straights @ 120 odd the going really slowly in twisties, when I get back again.

Fastest I've seen on the clock was 155, which felt mighty fast enough for me!
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

anyone know what the SP1 top speed is?
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Lend me your bike Jacey Boy and I'll tell you :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

LOL :lol:
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

I have been here before,,, And i feel tha it has everything to do with size of rider wind and road conditions.

Some days i get 165 good days 170+ and im five foot eight stone. bike dont know im there!!!
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

looks like the mags are failing to rag bikes properly..

Before I wrote mine off the dyno said mine would run out ot revs at 169mph and I've indeed seen 169mph (indicated).
Perhaps they need reminding that they should twist the right hand not the left, and it should be held there, administering great pain and suffering to the bike whilst becoming intimately aquainted with the tank Thus creating a PROPER top speed, terminal velocity can then be experienced....

I mean really 143MPH !! MY LEFT BOLLOCK!!!

I had a TUUUUUUNED GSXR 400 which was faster than that!! (155!!!)
In fact I had a Yamagamma (rg250 chassis rd350 ypvs stage3 then some by stan stevens) and that clocked 145.... tho it did pop every 1500 miles.... 8O
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
eddievtr

Post by eddievtr »

I've almost stopped believing these mag reviews anyway. Bike had the peak BHP measured at 98, Superbike measured last year as putting out 108 at the back wheel, so someone's got it wrong. As for a top speed of 143, my old Thundercat would top out at 155, so I'd be mega-disappointed if this was slower by 12mph 8O
Ohlins shock, Goodridge lines, 6-pot calipers, carbon fibre hugger.....and all at someone else's expense!!
t00lkit

Bike response

Post by t00lkit »

I subscribe to this mag and I was looking forward to reading the write up against the other bikes.

True the SV is more up to date, but there were a couple of comments I didn't agree with (other than whats written by you guys)

1) The tester couldn't get used to the clocks/dials! "He didn't know how fast he was going". Big deal, these guys do 130mph round their test route on A and B roads, doesn't really matter if it is above the ton does it, still on the side of illegal.

2) "Its not as much fun because it doesn't feel like you're going fast". Surely if you feel confident with the performance of the bike at high speeds, thats a good thing. Rather than thrashing the knackers off it and jumping on the gears like a jumping thing!

3) £6500 for a new storm, surely not? I bet you could pick one up for a grand less than that, making it better value than the SV.

I might write in....
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Perhaps Honda have fallen into the same trap as the car manufacturers where models get progressively heavier and less powerful (same as people too I guess) as the Eurocrats pass ever more stupid rules on emissions and the like - but then they'd have to lose a lot of power to make that much difference.

As for not being able to see the speedo..... you can see it perfectly well at the legal limit and anything past that I'd have my eyes tight shut anyway!
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

true about the speedo and legal limit but it is a fair point-ish,
the older generation speedo like on my old 98 model (RIP baby :( ) is a lot clearer to read than the newer......
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

MDJ (RIP Baby :( ); that was so sad when I read it. No firestorm deserves to go to that big A-road in the sky.

On a lighter note with all the points raised;

1) I agree with MDJ that the old 'Storm's speedo was slightly easier to read than the new one (but the new one isn't as bad as "Bike" mag make out (I also read another mag recently (can't remember which one) that also slated the 'Storm's speedo)

2) I agree with t00lkit - If it doesn't seem as fast as it is, that's a good thing. I can remember being scared s**less at 60mph (can you believe it?) on my lessons + after passing my test!

3) I agree with Simon t - the mirrors are CRAP, If and when I get one I'm going to fit longer stalks on it, as recommended by "Ride" mag (the best bike mag without a doubt) in their test last Sept (Oct issue).

4) The best review of the 'Storm was Ride last Sept/Oct against the SP-2. Highlighted any shortcomings without unecessarily slatting it. (still got that issue!)

:roll: