Sidestand

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Eclectic

Sidestand

Post by Eclectic »

My sidestand seems awkward, it doesnt look bent, but the bike definetly leans to much on it. After having her for 2 days she chucked her self on the deck out the back through the tarmac after I had given her a clean. Was gutted.

Now, I removed the sidestand to look at it, theres a tiny kink, but a ton of play in it when the spring is removed. So my question is, is the play normal? or is it bent there? Also, whats the best way to straighten it? I wouldnt of thought heating it up would do it any good as it would be weakened, so probably a vice. Though there maybe some pro tips lurking.
Last edited by Eclectic on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benny hedges

Re: Sidestand

Post by benny hedges »

you could just tw@ it back straight but be carefull you dont damage the built-in cut out switch otherwise the bike wont start.
best removing it carefully with the bike on a stand & weigh up the options when it's off.
if it's got a kink in it you might be better off welding a brace along it after youve straightened it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Ouch. And on a pretty silver one too. Aw.

If you find lots of play at the pivot bolt end (and I've had some serious amounts of that esp. on VT500's, which leant by absurd amounds before tipping over), try replacing the pivot bolt and hammer/vice up shut the pivot jaw a bit - it'll take it if you do it gently - to tighten it up. Then as Benny says, a welded brace will stiffen it up the stand arm. And grease it often :thumbup:

Mind you, I never leave a bike stand on tarmac though (esp. in sunny weather) without popping a wee pad under the hoof. Especially after the same happened to me years back.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

The worst damage is a small black patch on seat fairing. Wee bend in the clutch lever and a few dents in the stock can.

I bought a huge bit of slate from my boss to put her on since. Out for a bimble with my dad and brother this morning on some twisties, if I get a chance to get her on his paddock stands Ill attempt the persuader on the stand.
slipper 1

Post by slipper 1 »

One has just come up on eblag for £12.50 with switch.
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

My searching fu is failing. That or its already sold.
slipper 1

Post by slipper 1 »

Just checked again. Someone has pressed the Buy it Now button. Could only have been on for an hour or so.
slipper 1

Post by slipper 1 »

r6.com are showing as having one at £15
http://www.r6parts.com/search_stock_res ... 9&model=13
masakabassist

Post by masakabassist »

slipper 1 wrote:Just checked again. Someone has pressed the Buy it Now button. Could only have been on for an hour or so.
That would have been me :oops:

I've been searching for one every morning, afternoon and evening for months and as I logged on to the bay not expecting anything there she was.

Sorry lad

James
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

haha, ya crafty bugger. No worries, theres bound to be another...

PS, if you find ya bike on bricks in the morning, it had nout to do with me! :shh: :twisted:

Cheers for that Slipper!
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Well, took it off and gave it a good clouting. Its straighter than it was, it will do for the coming time. Though I sheared a bolt on the mounting bracket :roll:

Figured Id remove that to clean the bracket down, first bolt was stiffer than hell, but eventually came out, the next was even tighter so I gave it some welly and it went, YAY. Only to keep spinning and spinning and spinning....
:Ball Kick:
masakabassist

Post by masakabassist »

You may be able to knock it through as it's only threaded one end (I haven't tried this so do so at your own peril haha) that I believe a nut is threaded onto. Try and find the manual on here and have a look at it from there.

James
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

At this point in time atleast, Im just gonna pretend it didnt happen, as the bolt is definetly still wedged in.

Ill need to get some time to get over to my dads, his facilities are much greater than mine!