Greetings !! :-)

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
V-Twin Racer

Greetings !! :-)

Post by V-Twin Racer »

on the lookout for a VTR1000... just missed out on one in Barnes for £1100 notes... 17k on the clock in Black with Datatool Alarm/Datatag... Baglux Cover/Bag !! :(

if whoever bought it is on here?... ya lucky git !! :biggrin

my budget will probably mean an early model... i done a 'search' of things to look out for ie CCT's... were there any 'recalls' i should look for being done... to Frame etc !? :?

just a little back ground for you guys... been riding for donkeys... done despatching... now been in the office for 13yrs... had the usual CX's... Reveres/NTV's & GT's etc... then went Suzuki having owned numerous GSXR's... to which i still have my 'Special 7/12F' in my Avitar pic !! :wink:

last year bought a RSV Mille... 02... my dream bike... lol... loved it... suited my size perfectly... 118bhp @ back wheel... then bought bigger inj bodies/chip/Renegade filter... but before i could fit them... i had to sell it due to it letting me down to go into work in the mornings for my commute... as the colder mornings drew in... basically my boss gave me a ultimatum... bike or job... lol... in a joking way... but i could see his point... spent £200 with Southern Cross Boys to fix it but to no avail !! :thumbdown:

anyways... bought a ZR7 winter hack for £650... now missing the Thrum of the Twin... so will the VTR be a more reliable bike... it would be parked on the road with no cover due to a Tornado Alley effect... so open to the elements !? :(

sooo... if your still awake... ... Alright Fellas... Brian !! :beer:
V-Twin Racer

Re: Greetings !! :-)

Post by V-Twin Racer »

ps what are the chances of getting 65mpg on a Motorway @ 80mph... like i used to on my ZX9R !? 8O
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on getting a storm. Theres plenty around in your budget and they seem pretty bulletproof.

As for
V-Twin Racer wrote:ps what are the chances of getting 65mpg on a Motorway @ 80mph... like i used to on my ZX9R !? 8O
Probably can, provided its all down hill and the engine is off! One thing you'll soon realise is that between the poor tank range and the huge carbs Honda has fitted to the storm, shes a thirsty beast.

But the rest of us idiots dont care because of the fun we have riding the things!
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

my mam nearly called me brian.
or sandra if i was a girl. strangely, my first girlfriend was called sandra but she wouldnt give me a nosh so i binned her for her slut mate who was game for awt...
got a zx750 meself & love it... even better i love the fact that i swapped it for a set of cans that cost me £100 :D
will be putting a new motor in it shortly once my vtr is back on the road.
nice gixxer btw.

there's still one or 2 in the sales section i think... i think hgvfitter is still selling his.
yes, theyre a good reliable bike once you've sorted the cct & r/r niggles and stand up to the elements well apart from the usual - fork lowers go a bit grotty, rear hangers furr up a bit, headers rust (even thought theyre supposed to be stainless) and the rear mudguard strut on the subframe rusts.
and the wheel coating is a bit pants... like any other bike tbh.

regarding fuel economy, ive had over 220 miles out of a 19L tank so that's well in the 50mpg bracket... on a good run theyre not bad at all tbh, though on a hard ride or track day you will be looking for a petty station after 80 miles lol!
top end is not as high as your zx9r but with a bit of fettling it'll eat em :D

good luck with your hunt... they are very good bikes :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Welcome Brian
Another ol courier/proper biker on the plot! :thumbup:
40mpg is realistic. Good luck with the hunt.
Call PoB with pics, Roger?
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Brian :thumbup:

The Firestorm is generally a reliable bike once the CCT's and a rectifier with fins has been fitted (as already mentioned). Regarding starting in the winter, because the V twin has two big pistons rather than four smaller ones like an IL4 has, it takes a battery that's in good condition and well charged to fire her up. Some have replaced the standard battery with a bigger amp hour item like one for a Varadero which is 15mm taller, but is 12 amp hr. instead of the standard Firestorm battery which is 10amp hr. The only down side to fitting a taller battery is you need to cut off the top of the battery box. If you did carry out this mod make sure nothing metal like a loose spanner under the seat can come into contact with the live (+) terminal and the frame [earth (-)], as that would cause a dead short.
V-Twin Racer wrote:ps what are the chances of getting 65mpg on a Motorway @ 80mph... like i used to on my ZX9R !? 8O
If they're that good I should get another one :wink: :biggrin

Chris.
V-Twin Racer

Post by V-Twin Racer »

Spooky... my sister is called Sandra !! 8O

Thanks for the welcomes... im going to see a VTR with 43,000mls? on sat... is there a visual check i can make of the CCT's?... or are they hidden out of view of my mince pies !? :oops:

& if i see the battery has no lid... then i can assume its been upgraded !? 8)

how about a visual check of the R&R for fins?... where does this hide !? :?

the bike has Vipers fitted... no orginals... are these any good?... also theres no baffles either... cue ear plugs... its a Part-X... im hoping the last owner might of left them under the seat & the dealer hasnt noticed... lol !! :o

Twinpotter... if i buy it... it will be COC... which probably sounds rude to non-couriers... lol !! :wink:

ps who is this Roger geezer... he gets bleedin everywhere !! :eh:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I've replied in blue ink below :)
V-Twin Racer wrote:Spooky... my sister is called Sandra !! 8O

Thanks for the welcomes... im going to see a VTR with 43,000mls? on sat... is there a visual check i can make of the CCT's?... or are they hidden out of view of my mince pies !? :oops:
Unless they've been replaced with manual CCT's you can't tell by looking at them if they've had the stopper mod done. Manual ones have what looks like a big bolt sticking out with a lock nut on it. The manual adjuster in the photo shows the lock nut backed off.

& if i see the battery has no lid... then i can assume its been upgraded !? 8)
If the battery box lid has been removed a good possibility, but if you take a tape measure with you I can't see why you can not measure the height on the outside of the battery box. Standard battery height is 130mm for the earlier 16ltr fuel tank models.

how about a visual check of the R&R for fins?... where does this hide !? :?
Remove the seat and you should be able to see or at least feel the rectifier. It's located on the righthand side (rear brake pedal side) under the tail plastics.

the bike has Vipers fitted... no orginals... are these any good?... also theres no baffles either... cue ear plugs... its a Part-X... im hoping the last owner might of left them under the seat & the dealer hasnt noticed... lol !! :o
I'm not clued up on Viper, I don't think these were your more expensive cans. Perhaps someone else knows about these.

Twinpotter... if i buy it... it will be COC... which probably sounds rude to non-couriers... lol !! :wink:

ps who is this Roger geezer... he gets bleedin everywhere !! :eh:
Roger Ditchfield, he is a VTR Guru. What he doesn't know about the Firestorm is not worth knowing. Here's his site:- http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

hi m8... i had a set of viper cans on mine and they are nice & loud.... the bike went well with them though (til i fell of it & squashed them)
mine had no 'not for road use' marking - i'm using one of the cut down vipers on my scoot atm.

you can get generic DB killers off egay or if you're stuck drop us a pm and i'll knock a set up to fit.
the ones i use are just a sawn off pipe fitting (pressfit elbow) and have no physical resistance but just reflect the sound back down the can, ie no power loss but about 5db less than without.

for example, i had mine soundtested at oulton at 106db with laser cans, no baffles, fitted my home made ones and the noise level dropped to 99 which is a lot easier on the ear lol!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
V-Twin Racer

Post by V-Twin Racer »

thats for pointing out where the CCT's & R&R lives... & with pics... awesome... much appreciated !! :cool2
V-Twin Racer

Post by V-Twin Racer »

i saw your post about this early... il bear that in mind BH... unfortunately that VTR is sold already though !! :(
V-Twin Racer

Post by V-Twin Racer »

iv seen a Yellow one... with a matching Yellow belly pan... but Yellow just does not float my boat... id prefer in order Red... Silver then Black... but i suppose i could lose the belly pan... & get some Carbon stickers made up to calm the Yellow down abit (alot)... it also has been attacked with Purple anodising bits n pieces... which could be replaced... & a Purple seat... which could also be recovered with a Carbon look cover !? 8)

dont suppose the owner is on here is he?... based in North London?... anyone seen a bike of this description !? :confused
V-Twin Racer

Post by V-Twin Racer »

Barstewards... the Yellow one is a scam !! :roll:

back to do drawing board !! :|
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

V-Twin Racer wrote:iv seen a Yellow one... with a matching Yellow belly pan... but Yellow just does not float my boat... id prefer in order Red... Silver then Black... but i suppose i could lose the belly pan... & get some Carbon stickers made up to calm the Yellow down abit (alot)... it also has been attacked with Purple anodising bits n pieces... which could be replaced... & a Purple seat... which could also be recovered with a Carbon look cover !? 8)

dont suppose the owner is on here is he?... based in North London?... anyone seen a bike of this description !? :confused

A purple seat!!!!!!!!! it takes all sorts :eek2
AMcQ
slipper 1

Post by slipper 1 »

If you are looking for a VTR that is faster than standard then you need to get a black one!