Tyre pressures ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
arnie

Tyre pressures ?

Post by arnie »

I am sure the question has been asked many times, but what are the correct pressures to be using in my VTR I am currently running Dunlop Sport Max tyres with 32 Front and 41 Rear, this is how the bike arrived with me. Thanks folks, arnie :thumbup:
Wicky

Re: Tyre pressures ?

Post by Wicky »

F 36 & R 42
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I,d never go above 30f/34r myself ,harder to get heat into the tyres after that and the front don't track right and you lose feel.Ask an experienced racer.Folks have gone nuts with high pressures lately.I know they're different but gp bikes run around 5-7psi.
tinysmall

Tyre pressures ?

Post by tinysmall »

On the road the tyres are designed to run at 36 front and 42 rear. That's how you get maximum life out of them and where they are safest. If the manufacturer designed them to run at a different pressure, they would tell you.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

oldbikeman wrote:I,d never go above 30f/34r myself ,harder to get heat into the tyres after that and the front don't track right and you lose feel.Ask an experienced racer.Folks have gone nuts with high pressures lately.I know they're different but gp bikes run around 5-7psi.
running my supercorsas at 26/30 atm for that reason.
not bothered about how long they last... no point having everlasting tyres and a lowsided bike.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agreed, although the new Dunlop Sportsmart is designed so that you can drop a couple of psi front and rear and they then function well on track.
Looking forward to finding out if this is realistic....or whether it's neat trick for Dunlop to sell me new ones in the morning.

Or, of course, if I highside it to oblivion and am forced to buy an Aprilia v4R Carbon in red.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

talking about tyres...... i just scored meself a pair of these, very cheap.
pay me when you're ready deal :thumbup:

http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/m ... -power-one

anyone tried them on the road? they are michelin's contender for the control tyre domination.... got proper good reviews so will give them a good try.
i'll have them on for wales :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Oh yea and Honda Knows all about cam chain tensioners, rectifiers,front and back springs,fork damping and lots of other things that'll have you on your butt.If you want to ride around on brick hard tires that is your look out I'll stick with 40 years riding/racing experience.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Each to their own. I'll be sticking with what the tyre manufacturer recommends because in my experience, when the manual says 20Nm of force and I apply 40Nm, threads get stripped and I prefer to keep my thrads where they are supposed to be if you get my drift. :D
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/news/check- ... pring-ride
Peter McNally, Avon Tyre’s Technical Product Manager for motorcycle tyres said, “Tyre pressures on a motorcycle are critical to the safety of the rider – there’s no other way of putting it. The tyre’s connection with the road has to be perfect and if the tyre is underinflated after a winter’s lay-off, the bike will not handle properly and it could be dangerous.
“We know from testing our range of tyres – including our new Storm 2 Ultra sports-touring and VP2 Sports tyres – that it is critical to use the correct pressures. Using under-pressured tyres can degrade handling and affect steering, as well as leading to increased and uneven tyre wear.”
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... re_en.html
We do however advise you always to ride at the highest pressure level given from the motorcycle manufacturer. Some amount of comfort will be lost, but that loss will be outweighed by improved safety. In addition the rolling resistance will be lower which will help to save fuel. Incorrect inflation pressure reduces the service life and may have a negative influence on the riding characteristics of the motorcycle. Under-inflated tyres flex excessively, easily overheat and can suffer damage. Over-inflation can cause uneven wear. Improper inflation, either too high or too low, can adversely affect overall handling and ride quality. Tyre pressure will be measured when the tyres are cold. During riding the tyre becomes warm and the tyre pressure is therefore higher (up to 0,5 bar). This excess pressure should not be let off as it will automatically be balanced out as the tyre cools down again. Please note that the maximum load of the tyre depends on the inflation pressure. This means that you have to increase the inflation pressure up to the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall of the tyre to achieve the maximum load carrying capacity.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

You'll know a lot more than me, that's for sure. But as technology changes we have to adapt. If the people making the tyres recommend 36/42 then its the safest thing to run.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

It really hurts when you fall off.Honda won't care.And it's not the people making the tyre.
Billinjah

Post by Billinjah »

I've tried the higher pressures on mine but have gone back to 28\30 on normal days and 24/26 on hotter days when I'm going for a fast ride seems to understeer less and the Tyres get up to temp quicker. On the track with supercorsa softs on the rsvr I used to run 20/22. The bike just feels so twitchy on the higher pressures. The logic I was told by a racer once was if you run lower temps you get the tyre hotter faster and the pressure rises with heat after a race we used to do the pressures in parc ferme and often saw 45psi so maybe the manufacturers are talking hot temps rather than cold?
tinysmall

Tyre pressures ?

Post by tinysmall »

The manufacturers are talking cold temps for road riding. Hammering it round a track is very different to riding on the road no matter how fast you try to ride. On the road you are constantly slowing down for things and cornering much slower. You don't build hardly any heat and even after a motorway blast it would probably only raise the pressure by one or two psi. On track it gets caned everywhere and the compound is much softer (if you are using track tyres) plus using tyre warmers. The heat build up then is immense. The moto gp boys start of running something silly like 10 psi cos it builds that quick.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i checked mine on sunday and was running 15 in the front and 21 rear!
hadnt checked them since my last track outing at oulton in november!!

they are now a healthy 30 / 36.
i find at that pressure they (supercorsas) heat up well, corner and brake fine with no unusual wear patterns.
considering these were practice scrubs and ive done over 5k on them so far.....
when i park the bike and rollit over my gravel drive, i can see the contact patch as all the crap sticks to them.... it isnt at all like the exaggerated picture of under-inflated tyres.

would say though that if you run a tubed tyre (i know most are tubeless now but...) running lower pressures can be deadly as you can get tyre creep, which is basically the whole tyre & inner slowly revolving in the rim until it tears the valve out resulting in rapid deflation and the tyre coming off the rim within like 1/2 a second!

happened to me on a roundabout many years ago... im sure some scrote let my tyre down but i didnt notice until it was too late :Ball Kick: