Do I buy a Firestorm?

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Baldrick

Do I buy a Firestorm?

Post by Baldrick »

Hi all
Just signed up to the forum as I am thinking of buying a 2002 Firestorm! I know it might not be the place for unbiased advice from you guys but you may have a hard time converting me to Honda being a massive Kawasaki fan for most of my 30yrs of riding. I'm currently riding a SV650 at the moment and like the nibblness of the twin but would like a little bit more go, also it can be a bit viby on the motorway.
Ok the VTR I,m looking at is a 52 plate with under 10k on clock full service history and a bunch of extra's in blue. So you lot all you have to do now is persaude me to buy this and not a ZX12r!!!

Good Luck

Baldrick
Baldrick

My names Rick and I'm bald! I've been bald now for 20 years
Current Bike Kawasaki ZX9r
benny hedges

Re: Do I buy a Firestorm?

Post by benny hedges »

yes you got to love the nibbllyness :D
is it a 19L '02 (with honda wing on the tank & 1/2 digi dash) or a 16L '01 model with analogue clocks?
what colour blue? is it the deep blue or the metallic (teal)
the teal is a bit of a marmite colour but they do look nice waxed up in the sun... (if we get any)

try & get a test ride, your mind will be made up instantly either way, but if you've been riding the sv i think you will get on with the storm but warning - they are deceptively fast! :roll:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

It's a teal colour with gold wheels (are these standard)? it has analoge clocks with a small LCD screen on the speedo. I know what you mean about the colour as it will take a bit of getting used to but after reading some of the post i'm glad it's not YELLOW.
Baldrick

pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I wont try and convince you to by a VTR. I'll just point one or 2 things out and let you make your own mind up.

You ride an SV650 so you know what a V Twin engine does. The VTR does the same thing only a bit louder, faster and because its not a Suzuki it can be ridden in the rain without the front spark plug getting soaked and killing the engine dead.

And if you dont buy one, I'm originally from Belfast and will personally come shoot you to death if you dont. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, as I have a yellow one, go to hell, buy the ZX.

On the other hand, I also have a red one, so you'll love it, they're addictive, same as you're used to but more so, and this forum is a lot better than the zx one....Go on, do yourself a favour.

But ride one for an hour or so first.

Good luck either way :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Welcome Baldrick :thumbup:
"For God's sake, Baldrick. You're looking for something that starts with an "R". Rrrrrrr."
Couldn't resist it. :D
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
tinysmall

Do I buy a Firestorm?

Post by tinysmall »

Twinpotter wrote:Welcome Baldrick :thumbup:
"For God's sake, Baldrick. You're looking for something that starts with an "R". Rrrrrrr."
Couldn't resist it. :D

Lmao! That is one of the funniest bits ever. Cracks me up every time I see it.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Not if you want smoooooth blaaaaand. Just anther inline four, albeit a very nice one.

Yes if you want a bike that "talks" to you (Wife's description), yes if you want something thats different, that will rattle windows with the right pipes.

I love it partly because it takes me back to the days when all my mates ran Guzzis or Ducs, also its deceptively quick, I have 3 points to prove it.

OK fuel range isnt the best but unless you are touring with bikes with a longer range its not really a problem, most people want a stretch after 100 or so miles.

Mine is the dreaded teal, it took some getting used to, its a very "Japanese" colour, but again it is unusual and you cant really see it when you are riding it!

If you hate it after a month or so you are still in the best time of year to sell it on, so what have you to lose?

:beer:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Well here are my arguments:
1. I cant speak for any ZXR forums, but this one is very very helpful and useful. Everyone on here seems to be friendly and willing to help out with pretty much anything. I have seen posts where people offer free parts to others who have come off and damaged their bike, in order to get them back on the road. This forum does seem to have a very good community spirit.

2. The firestorm is a Honda. Yes it has its problems, but these are fairly minor and in general, the reliability and build quality is excellent. The bolt heads dont rot and corrode like they do on the Kawas and the engine is very 'rattle' free. To me, Honda engines and gearboxes always feel so 'solid' and well made.

3. The engine isnt as powerful as the ZXR, but it is powerful enough to keep the vast majority happy. Personally, I had an R1 6 months ago and found the step down in power a little odd. Yes the firestorm doesnt have the same top end, and yes it doesnt quite 'scare' you in the same way if you yank back the throttle at 8k rpm, but it does have a lot of low down grunt with a fairly flat torque curve. It also pulls and pulls and then pulls some more as you accelerate. 2nd gear is amazing and on the twisties is geared perfectly for fast driving. I find that the firestorm is one of those bikes where you will pull back on the throttle, look down at the speedo and wonder how the hell you just accelerated from 60 to 100 without realising it and so quickly.

4. The bike is quite easy to work on, without having too many 'fancy' parts requiring main dealer expertise. I quite like the fact that I know if anything went wrong with my bike, I know there are people on here who could point me in the right direction and there is a knowledgebase part in the workshop section that has all the info I would need to fix it, right from replacing CCTs and fixing the damage that a failed one can cause, right down to balancing the carbs, fitting new exhausts, swingarms, brake calipers etc.

5. Personally I think they look better than the ZX12s but that is just a personal preference. I think the firestorm with the seat cover and aftermarket bottom fairing looks really good.

6. The V twin sound...for me this was the deciding factor between the firestorm and the VFR or ZX12 before I bought. With some aftermarket cans they sound awesome, take out the baffles and oh my god...love it.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Miztaziggy wrote: Stuff

Sold! Where can I get one?....

Oh wait. I already have one! :lol:
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote: Stuff

Sold! Where can I get one?....

Oh wait. I already have one! :lol:

Lol. Loving the abbreviated version of Ziggy's post there :thumbup:

Couldn't agree more though :D
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

Well what a great responce from you all :D may be i'm almost there had a short ride on 02 storm today!! Brian who works across the road from has one and we have been talking for the past couple of weeks about bikes and stuff like we all do :thumbup:
So this lunch time I took his pride and joy out for a quick spin. First impressions are usualy lasting and when you said it pulled! Well just accelerating down the sliproad only short shifting as only borrowing and been on bike a couple of mins. I found it suprising light and quite easy to ride not like the SV which is VERY snatchy and viby :(
Don't think Brian is on this forum but a big shout out to him for letting me take his bike out when I only met him about 3 weeks ago.
Hope this is the first of many strings
Baldrick

pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

So you buying one or not? Theres 80 of the buggers on Ebay at the moment. For some reason people are getting rid of them. I dont know if I should be getting worried or if they are all just mad!
Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

Going in to see dealer at weekend to have a another look and see what deal he will give me on SV
Also note sure that the asking price of £2800 could be a bit high for a 9 year old bike? Though low miles and extras Inc scotoiler,heated grips,gear indicator and hugger may help.
I will keep adding my thoughts on this page while is interest and replies to my ramblings.
Baldrick

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

make sure you point out that it is a 01 model and not the facelift 02.
i wouldnt go much over 2 meself, depends on the trade in.
theres plenty of sorted ones come up for 1500 - 2k
the mileage is irrelative. i'd rather have a well sorted storm with 25k on the clock than a standard one with 10.

you will want to change the cans, fit a hugger, lowers, manual tensioners, change the r/r, get the forks sorted, upgrade the brakes etc... you could spend another grand on top of the buying price before you know it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.