Brembo front brakes

General Biker Banter
firestorm nige

Brembo front brakes

Post by firestorm nige »

Hi All, i am looking to fit some brembo front brake calipers and am looking for any one that has done this. And which type i would need. Thanks
mik_str

Re: Brembo front brakes

Post by mik_str »

Why? While I am not arguoing the quality of Brembo bits, the last of the Nissin axial calipers fit to Honda sportbikes (pre-2004 Fireblades, SP-1, SP-2, F4i) are excellent bits and bolt right (with just a little grinding if mounted to original VTR forks). Best of all, they are readily available and cheap to buy.

Here is some food for thought for you:

As a company, Nissin is not known for innovation -- many of their calipers are unashamed copies of other company's designs, most notably their four piston calipers until recently on most all Hondas -- Brembo designs, and the monobloc Yamaha calipers which were lifted from the original Spondon motorcycle and Brembo automotive units. If they are not known for innovation, they are certainly renowned, and rightfully so, for their talented structural engineering and metallurigal / manufacturing staff. When it comes to these areas they are second to none. In my studies of the 919, 929, and 954 calipers under pressure the total deflection at the center of the bodies (furthest away from the buttressing of the cross supports at each end) was less than 0.001", exceptional considering my earlier studies of Brembo units which averaged three times as much. Their metallurgy is considerably better as well, rumored to be utilizing aluminum/lithium castings (for their high end units) selectively chilled to control stress concentrations and load paths without resorting to much more expensive forgings or heavier bodies, affecting a useful life span considerably greater than any other manufacturer. In short, their components are world class, and they make them by the hundreds of thousands. (http://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/upgrad ... 15745.html)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Thinking the same thing Mik - I'd read this somewhere else.
(Cracking Canadian GP eh?)
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Indeed it was, with enough rain for Jenson to feel right at home, lol
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

So your into brand names,well save your cash as there nothing wrong with the standard stuff if its in good order.I thought it was rubbish too but now I know better.Sorting the forks is the best brake mod,I can lock mine easy with two fingers at any speed.Good enough for a Blade and a RC45,not much better names than that.