My 98 VtR1

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
rst steve

Re: My 98 VtR1

Post by rst steve »

sirch345 wrote:
FirestormMike wrote:
sirch345 wrote:PS. IMHO surely a longer wheelbase (as in fitting a vfr single sider) will make the bike less flickable, because it will slow the steering down :?: It will be more stable in a straight line though and look the business :cool2
The linkage plates I had made took this into consideration and kicked the back up a little Chris. I also had 5mm worth of spacers on the shock.
That would surely help Mike but IMHO that's not completely going to bring the wheel base back down to the standard length. I can't get away from the fact that a longer wheel base is normally associated with cruisers where straight line stability is more important than going through the twisty bits, as know doubt you're fully aware. Don't get me wrong I really like the look of the VFR swingarm on a Firestorm, but I wouldn't be so keen to fit one if it affected the bike's handling, especially now I have my bike handling sooooo much better with my Rogered forks :D

Chris.
This is what is kinda putting me off doing the conversion. I am quite happy with the way the bike handles at the moment and putting on the VFR arm may mess it up. Think if i do decide to go for it i need to talk to someone like Roger and see if he can get the bike handling the same if not better with some of his magic and some beer tokens. Maybe new rear shock and sort out the forks????
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

FirestormMike wrote:I honestly think you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in handling. It was fine for me and I don't hang about, it's only about the same length difference as you would have with a stretched chain anyway. The interesting bit is that when you adjust the chain on the VFR arm, you actually change the ride height slightly.
To be fair Mike you should know really, considering you rode your bike with the standard swingarm first and got used to that, then fitted the SSSarm. A good point about the rear wheel on the standard s/arm with a stretched chain being back further (hence longer w/base).

That's the beauty of Eccentric Adjusters I guess, altering the ride height :wink:

What about the weight difference Mike, do you think the VFR arm is much heavier :?:

I'd be interested to hear what Roger's opinion was about the swap out of interest, so if you Steve (rst steve) find out do let us know :)

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's interesting Mike, I thought the SSS may have been heavier not lighter, although I can imagine the hub etc would weight a fair bit. Interesting too about how it swapped around the handling characteristics when the ahem red mist showed :wink:

I like the idea of the wheel always being in line too, something else that hadn't occurred to me with a SSS.

As you say (with the correct stand) rear wheel removal is going to be easier, as you don't have to touch the rear brake caliper or chain and rear sprocket etc, as they stay attached, unlike with the standard swingarm set up. It should be really easy in comparision.

Chris.
evo360

Post by evo360 »

steve top job mate, excuse my ignorance but what back end is that from? and how difficult was it to fit?
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

evo360 wrote:steve top job mate, excuse my ignorance but what back end is that from? and how difficult was it to fit?

Hiya it's a Yamaha R1 2005 seat unit and subframe. The subframe does need some serious cutting and then you need to fabricate a battery box and have someone that is good with a welder. If you have a look in the workshop section there is a thread that shows the conversion from start to now with loads of pics. :D
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Got my belly pan fitted today (cheers Kingster) think it looks really good and also think its gonna stay black will then tie into my idea of doing the frame and swingarm black. What do you think?????

:D
andyh

Post by andyh »

Thats looking really good Steve, not sure about the black swing arm and frame though, might be a bit much.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That is looking really good Steve :!: 8)

I'm inclined to agree with Andy, a black frame and swing arm could be too much.

Perhaps a photo shop preview would be a good idea :)

Chris.
Lenstormaus

Post by Lenstormaus »

Mate I have been looking for mirros with light inserts like yours, did you make em or purchase :D
woodworm19

Post by woodworm19 »

Nice !!!!! :thumbup:
A bird in the hand shits on you’re wrist !

chris56

Post by chris56 »

Very nice !! Like the red and black scheme myself Quite a bit of work involved with the single sider
STAGE 2 Moriwaki Storm Moriwaki Engine Rebuild Pistons Cams Valves etc Moriwaki Air intakes.Air Filter Mod
Full SAMCO race hoses; Lightened Fly Wheel Dynojetted; KN Filter; Moriwaki Exhaust Moriwaki Carbon Belly Pan Titaniam Nuts & Bolt WP R Shock