Hopeful selling price or what.....but it's sold

General Bike chat
tony.mon

Hopeful selling price or what.....but it's sold

Post by tony.mon »

This Storm fetched a good price, apparently....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-HONDA-VTR-10 ... 500wt_1156
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tinysmall

Re: Hopeful selling price or what.....but it's sold

Post by tinysmall »

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

absolute bargain seeing as you can pick one up in that condition for 1500 quid lol :lol:
i would hardly call 10,ooo miles low mileage :roll:
low mileage to me is like less than 5k

and 115bhp??? i didnt see any moriwaki bits there did you :lol:

ah well, someone is obviously very happy :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

But...It comes with a seat cowl! thats worth an extra 8k atleast!!
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Mine came with a seat cowl so when I sell mine I'll be looking at least that then. Great stuff.

Oh yes. I have pazzo style levers too, thats bound to be pushing the price up to around 12K then.

Offers anyone?
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Hmm, that's tempting Floyd...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Eclectic wrote:But...It comes with a seat cowl! thats worth an extra 8k atleast!!
Anyone wanna buy a seat cowl??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Hi guys,

Holy thread resurrection batman!

First post. OK I admit in a very odd place but I'll put something in the "hello" section next...!

I am on the verge of buying this bike and I have it reserved. Not for 10k obviously, but for what I think is a good price (based on reading this forum) for age and mileage/condition.

I noticed someone said "in this condition". I personally cant see anything wrong from the photo's but maybe your expert eyes have spotted something I have not.

This is my first Firestorm, having lusted after them since I was 18 (1998). Had a bandit 1200 at 20 and nothing since, so its my entry back into biking.

I'm really excited but there seems to be many examples around, ranging from £1500 to £3500 or even £6000 for a brand new one.

If anyone can offer any insight to this particular bike based on the pictures, I'd love to know as I'm about to complete the purchase this week. I'd be really grateful!

Cheers,

Martin
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If anyone can offer any insight to this particular bike based on the pictures,
Tricky as the ebay pics have expired. Unless you have a new linky poo...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, it's the old style clocks, so a 16 litre tank.
Th owner has exaggerated the bhp, no way on earth it has 115bhp with just a can and K+N.
106 tops, but it would need dynojet or factory pro equivalent to get 106, really.

115 would need a full system and some fairly serious engine work, cams, hi comp pistons etc.

And the owner's just remembered the two previous owners,

Mileage isn't that low, there's been a few about lately with half that or less.

The original asking price is a joke, there have been brand new ones selling for £5K or so this year.

Hope you're not paying too much for it, there's lots to choose from at the moment.

But as long as you're happy with it, good on yer.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Thats a great reply. Thanks guys.

I know the BHP is not accurate for the mods listed, I think they develop say, 95 as standard so gaining 20hp is going to take more than an air filter and dynojet. I base this on my limited knowledge of cars.

Old style clocks I prefer, 16 litre tank doesnt really bother me so much and I suppose I could fit a 'blade tank if I wanted? Not really the touring type..plus I have shares in BP hehe :D

There are 2 owners on it as far as I know, so I'd be the 3rd but I need to confirm tomorrow. It does have full MOT history with it, all except 1. Plus a bunch of receipts. Had a new chain recently and rear sprocket. Signs are that it was 1 owner for a long long time, then this guy got it but from what I've been told has sold it due to family pressures. It was serviced 400 miles ago apparently and MOT'd in March.

Its £1600 sheets. I also have to pay for delivery (£100 odd) but to tell the truth, at these prices, I'm not really going to penny pinch too much. I just always wanted a VTR and whilst I'm not a mug, I'm not going to cry over say £100 or so. The other ones I've seen, more local to me, were £3k+ from dealers, they were newer, but similar mileage. Is there really THAT much difference between a bike on 7k and 10k?

Seemed a reasonable price to me, I hope I'm not an idiot :D

Thanks again for the input, its really helpful.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Wicky wrote:
If anyone can offer any insight to this particular bike based on the pictures,
Tricky as the ebay pics have expired. Unless you have a new linky poo...
Heya mate,

The pics show for me, just have to scroll down a bit on the ebay page. If it doesnt work I'll download them and post them here :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Based on your reply, go for it, you should be happy at that price. :thumbup:

It's when people are deceived I get annoyed.

No matter what you pay for these (within reason) they're a lot of bike and performance for the money.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I totally agree. TBH though, if anyone buys something like VTR based on claimed horsepower, they dont deserve to find a good one.

V Twins are not, in my mind at least, about BHP at all. They are all about torque.

I have to admit, for the price, whilst I'd love to get a really good one, I sort of relish the chance to "improve" a teenage dream. Having had a bandit 12, theres just something so different about a VTR. I could go out and buy almost anything (couldnt do that at 18!), even looked at a Busa, but the VTR, even an old one, I dunno, something just appeals and always has. Can't put my finger on it. My buddy thinks I'm nuts and I should buy a new Z1000 or Ducati Streetfighter. But no.

Maybe it has something to do with the name. That sounds stupid but "Firestorm", is a cooler name even possible?

Had a pillion ride on a VTR in 98 from a uni mate, he then bought a 748 BP. Always had a desire for a Twin since, but couldnt afford one at the time then lost my way to cars after 2 years on a 125 and a year on the Bandit in the US.

I recently considered a Ducati and I might well buy a 916 as well, but VTR for starters!

So, hopefully this all works out and I get to fettle a decent machine. Or should that be fondle?

Hmm.

Either way, in a while I will hopefully post some sort of triumphant message when I pass my DAS. Until then I suppose I have to ride around on a CB500F in radio contact etc, but jeeez, have they improved or WHAT?!? It almost looks like a proper bike. I did a day on one last week, did around 150 miles and tbh, it felt like a proper bike. Never thought I'd say that about a CB500.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

As Tony says at that price you wont be disappointed with her. I was the same as you and always hankered after a V twin. I have got to say personally I love my bike to bits as for me it also not about the bhp but the torque as you pointed out.

It looks like it still has the good old stock cct's fitted so your first mod will be to sort them out, but plenty of vtr geeks on this forum matey.

Just get her bought and get that vtr grin on your face.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good