my VTR appears to be back firing,

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
AMCQ46

Re: my VTR appears to be back firing,

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote:
Taz69 wrote:Tony, thanks for the info, I have replaced the vacuum hose for the rear, is that what you mean?

I presume when balancing the carbs, the airbox is off, which also means the thicker hose's from the cylinders are open aswell! As this is what I picked up from the workshop pdf by AMQ I presume this is ok?

Thanks
Taz, no, the air box should be fitted as it is when the bike is being ridden with the thicker hoses as you call them connected :!:

Chris.
Chris, I tried it with air box on and off and got the same readings, so whilst I agree air box on is most representative , I don't think it will change the balance.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Chris, I tried it with air box on and off and got the same readings, so whilst I agree air box on is most representative , I don't think it will change the balance.
AMcQ, fair enough if that's the case, just ignore me Taz.

My way of thinking is/was that you'll get a more balanced (excuse the pun :wink: ) less fluctuating so more accurate reading with the air box, engine breather pipes and air filter fitted, as that'll be the closest the set-up will be when the bike is out on the road being ridden, also I've not seen any of the workshop manuals suggesting to balance the carbs that way. Admittedly I've not tried balancing them that way myself, so I'll take your word for it AMcQ :thumbup:

Chris.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

benny hedges wrote:
Taz69 wrote:A little update.

After having it running a while, its still popping, back firing on idle, would it be a good idea to get the carbs cleaned? they appear to be fairly easy to take off, I am sure someone on was offering a sonic clean service for carbs, maybe I am wrong, but I need to start looking somewhere don't I?

Mark
just wondering... dont want to worry you like, but do the camchain tensioners look new?
does it look like the frony cyl head gasket has been changed recently?
im wondering if the previous owner has had a cct failure and slightly bent a pair of valves?

are you absolutely sure there are no air leaks around the carb rubbers, exhaust ports, headers or link pipes?
Benny, I will have a look this afternoon mate for any evidence of CCT's being done, Thanks.

Chris and AMQ , I will put the airbox back on as to satisfy my own curiosity now the cracking on the rev's is beginning to worry me so I will just check to see if it helps matters.

I am in recovery mode at the mo after my birthday party last night, lol.

Mark
VTR1000 Firestorm in yellow, lubbly jubbly.
Life's only Fun when your doing a Ton.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Right Guys,

Bit of an update.

I fitted the airbox/filter back on this morning and checked all the rubbers etc, fired her up and while not perfect by any means, there was none of the CRACK! on revving, but still farting and popping, so I let her warm up for a bit and started the carb balancing, straight away there was a difference and after a while adjusting, revving, checking etc, the farting and popping started to disappear, not totally but I think its far better.

I had a look round the exhaust connections, carb rubbers, hoses etc and could not see any sign of carbon on the exhausts to indicate there is a leak anywhere, the rubbers are seated correctly on the carbs.

The CCT's are automatic still I presume, picture attached. There is no sign of any work done to the head etc. On the last video after carb balancing, I positioned the camera near the engine so you can hear the engine more so than the exhaust, can anyone confirm what the ticking is, the engine has done 40k.

I have uploaded some videos on youtube as below.

Airbox off 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a09kV7cA6uU

Airbox off 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3f4sNzZeaA

Airbox on, before balancing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QztOdG0kYew

After Balancing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxq2dyOco1M

Pictures of Carbs, CCT's etc.

Carbs http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/p1010064w.jpg/

Front CCT http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/p1010063z.jpg/

Rear CCT http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... 059yy.jpg/

Exhaust http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29 ... 62noh.jpg/

I am pretty sure the carbs could do with coming off and being ultrasonically cleaned!

Thanks in advance

Mark
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just ride it mate and try to get to a meet then we can have a proper listen.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

I am liking your reply Benny, I am taxing it tomorrow and hopefully I am going down to Weston Bike night on Thursday! Where are you based?

Mark
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

im up north in sunny warrington mate which is right between liverpool and manchester but far enough away from the chavs lol :D
(like cheeky kev and his rabble)
youre not far away from playerone, mjonesey and h3r3tic

firestorms are quite hard to break (unless you bin) and if you do break them theyre very easy to fix. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Cool, I get to Liverpool now and then, but normally in the car as we go to Anfield.

Pete.L said he will pop round and have a listen, I havent heard from Playerone recently, is he all better now and his spill in wales?

Mark
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Well guys, just thought I would give you a bit of an update!

I got her out tonight and went for a blast up the A38 towards Gloucester, Whoa what a difference the balancing makes, its more responsive, smoother acceleration, quicker, you name it, etc.

Absolutely fantastic little ride out.

I am still a little concerned over the engine noise, its not major and it maybe me being paranoid about CCT's.

Thanks for all the help chaps.

Mark
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I ride them the same whether they've got the cct's done or not.
No point pussyfooting around, it's no fun that way and the cct will let go at some point anyway.

Treating it gently won't prevent a spring rusting inside the engine, the spring's under no more tension, heat or pressure at 9500 than 2500 revs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Hi all,

Pete came round yesterday, had a listen and took her out for a ride, apart from recommending the shims to be done, she appears to be in working order, lol.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, also a big thanks to Pete for popping round.

Mark