Enhanced rider scheme - worth it?

General Biker Banter
vtryorks

Enhanced rider scheme - worth it?

Post by vtryorks »

When I passed my test I was given a pack by my instructor with details of the DSA Enhanced Rider Scheme and also advanced training from IaM and Rospa etc.

Has anyone done these, are they worth doing? Enhanced Rider is £180.

If I make it a year without a claim, I reckon my insurance will be less than that anyway.....would I be better off going for some tuition on a track instead?
pinkyfloyd

Re: Enhanced rider scheme - worth it?

Post by pinkyfloyd »

My instructor friend said they are worth the money but he did recomend ride around for a year on the bike to get to know the thing well first.

Also the insurance discount is barely noticable. Something like 5% so not worth doing just to get a reduction on premium.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Start off with something like the police bike safe course after riding for a few months. Costs about £30, gives about 5% discount on premiums, only lasts a day and you will lear bloody loads. Well worth doing IMO :thumbup:
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Cheers guys.
chi kung

Post by chi kung »

I did a police bike course on Friday. All i can say is i now ride faster smoother and safer. if you can be bothered to get to Oxford area the course is for free.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

chi kung wrote:I did a police bike course on Friday. All i can say is i now ride faster smoother and safer. if you can be bothered to get to Oxford area the course is for free.
Good aren't they? :D
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

so the police one is well worth doing then... i ain't the best rider out there but i've seen worse... i was thinking of doing the advance one but don't think i'd wanna pay that sort of money out if i can spend it on my bike instead....
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
chi kung

Post by chi kung »

Any training is worth doing as i think we need all the help we can get. I liked the police taring because you ride how normally ride and then they correct you from there. Didnt keep to speed limits got up to 85mph. Its very odd having a police bike following you while speeding. Its very impressive when you follow them and you cant keep up around the bends and i dont hang about.

Go to saferider.org for free training.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

riding with off duty police bikers is very enlightening, you can see them all reacting to the hazards and working to the same training..........its like they are part of a machine

And when one overtakes they have a rule, "room for 1 room for all!", so if overtaking a car and pulling back in to the gap between that car and the one in front, the 1st man has to make sure he gets right out of the way and brakes as late as possible so the other 5 or 6 bikes can also fit into the space! as a civillian riding with them you have to learn quickly otherwise you will get in their way and screw up the well oiled machine!..............

As you say its feels wrong leading a group who you know are all policemen and highly trained bikers, when you are doing 3 figure speeds, with a black visor and race cans! But as long as you respect built up areas, roadworks and other hazards they encourage you to "make progress"
AMcQ
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

i'll have to look into it then....
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Must agree that getting the international sign for go faster, :Argue 1: , by the man in white whilst already above the speed limit is the most unnatural feeling ever- it also banishes any stupid thought that even although the majority of the cops ride around on "tourers" it will take a heck of a rider to actually out run them if ever in that situation.... up here in rain land its also free and the added bonus is that they only ever take you out on a 2:1 ratio, and its even better when the other rider did'nt turn up. Best advice I had of them was dragging your rear brake when in the town, saves all that kangaroo'in on the front brakes.. other than that, behave in the town and we will leave you alone..
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time