Dumped coolant

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
elric

Dumped coolant

Post by elric »

Any Ideas,

Came out of work this evening and spotted a big puddle around my bike, worked out it was coolant and my reserve tank was empty along with some or all of the system!

Q1 if a pipe or Rad leaked would it draw out the reserve or if the reserve leaked would it draw out more from the system?

Next I spotted my ignition was on, neutral light and sidestand light etc. I do have a remote start on my alarm system but i did not use it today.
Petrol appeared possibly lower than expected as light came on whilst ticking over but it went off again, this was at around 90 miles since last fill, my always does about 120 +-5 miles before this notmally comes on (no one could have ridden it without totting up extra miles), our car park is also secure.

It is possible it might have remote stated I guess and ticked over for a number of hours, heated up and somehow peed out coolant but stopped itself siezing up or did sieze up enough under tickover to stall and then cooled off by the time i came out to run again.

I still had enough juice in the battery to start it up so maybe the above is true.

Dashed to Tesco, coolant and water put in reserve tank, short journey it was overheating with no sign of the fan coming on at just touching red.
Still had water, the reserve tank did not need anymore! so pulled of the hose to the thermostat and filled via that until water came out of the thermostat, gave a blow down the pipe and more came out of the thermostat, replaced hose and thought f%ck.

Q2 if water is not circulating, is the tempreature gauge a waste of time and would it not read the actual engine tempreature?

I plodded home watching the reading like a hawk, keeping revs as low as possible, clutching down every hill. However the temp reading remained around normal temp so I'm guessing it got itself flowing again, got home and level was down so have just topped up again.

No obvious leaks as of yet.

Spooky :shifty:
It's only easy if you know the answer!
tony.mon

Re: Dumped coolant

Post by tony.mon »

Spooky indeed.
Possibly a small leak which shorts out the electrics "turning on" the ignition?

Unfortunately, to fill a Storm properly the fairing has to come off and then you can access the filler cap.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Re: Dumped coolant

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:
Unfortunately, to fill a Storm properly the fairing has to come off and then you can access the filler cap.
you can get away with just undo the fairing allen screws on the rhs and pull the fairing out a bit.
done this on mine a few times.
even easier if you undo the rhs mirror
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.