Clutch grab

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jdugen

Clutch grab

Post by jdugen »

I think this has been raised before but. This one has the clutch grab syndrome. I put it down to the years it has stood and gummed plates, but, most of the time its a smooth take off. Then, when its suckered you into its confidence, it will grab so hard the front wheel comes up. Not good for cleanliness of underwear or general safety.

Just a thought, but, with the known failings of the CCT and now this potentially extremely dangerous 'quirk', has anyone approached Honda with a claim for rectification? CCT's 'can' be passed off as a routine maintenance item I suppose, but not this lethal clutch grab.
tony.mon

Re: Clutch grab

Post by tony.mon »

Not a hope, I'm afraid.

Still a few of us looking for solutions, I have just bought a Varadero clutch cover to butcher, and convert to cable.
That's what the boys do who race these in thundersprint.
Another idea is to swap to a different master cylinder, to see if that makes a difference.
I don't know of a different slave cylinder that would still mount up ok, but if there is one that'll be worth a try too.

Last possibility is to see what other clutch packs would fit- maybe a Blade or Blackbird one?

Search the workshop thread for "grabby clutch" to read what's been done so far.

I was convinced that it was the big bearing behind the clutch basket in the crankcases, but I rebuilt my engine last year with a new bearing and it does it anyway :thumbdown:

If the bike was an il4 it would have been a major factor in sales, but as you can ride round it by getting clutch home early and using the torque it's never been headline material with these bikes, I even set my fastest drag strip time by using this technique....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

My bike is the same and I have been riding round the problem for at least 7 yrs [was OK for the first 3 yrs I think....well I never noticed it!], would like to get a solution, but you learn to ride to avoid it
AMcQ
jdugen

Post by jdugen »

Unless I'm missing a trick, its impossible to ride round it. Even with the most carefull clutch release it just grabs hard. If it was an IL4, it would stall, but these things are unstoppable, even at tickover. In close traffic its nerve wracking, as if there isnt enough to be watching out for.
I'll do a search on the subject now I know the key words.

Cheers
lloydie

Clutch grab

Post by lloydie »

All I do is pull away at 2-2500 rpm and get the clutch out ASAP then open the throttle If I slip the clutch with higher revs it grabs and lofts the front in the air
The trick is not to slip the clutch
We all well most of us live with it
It's just part of owning a storm

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

jdugen wrote:Unless I'm missing a trick, its impossible to ride round it. Even with the most carefull clutch release it just grabs hard. If it was an IL4, it would stall, but these things are unstoppable, even at tickover. In close traffic its nerve wracking, as if there isnt enough to be watching out for.

Cheers
OK, that sounds worse than the problem I am describing, mine will work ok up to about 3000 revs, but if I then add more throttle it will grab. if you have problems from idle, then it sounds like your clutch has an extra problem.......as you suggested this may well be associated with the fact it has ben left standing for a few years
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sounds like the clutch needs topping up and bleeding - if the bite point gets closer to the handlebar then life becomes interesting,,,,
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
franz125

Post by franz125 »

jdugen wrote:Unless I'm missing a trick, its impossible to ride round it. Even with the most carefull clutch release it just grabs hard. If it was an IL4, it would stall, but these things are unstoppable, even at tickover. In close traffic its nerve wracking, as if there isnt enough to be watching out for.

Cheers
Look at the judder spring correct(upside down) position and clutch basket edges.