Centre-stand and fuel gauge

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Iwantafirestorm

Centre-stand and fuel gauge

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Sorry to ask such mundane questions :? , but:

1) Am I right in thinking that the 'Storm doesn't have a centre-stand?

2) Does it have a fuel gauge? (Can't remember from my test ride recently)

PS: If anyone replies with a private email I'll delete this post to make more room on the board.

Cheers all :D
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

No centre-stand, just a prop-stand.

No fuel guage, but an orange light indicator when you get down to around 3 ltrs (which happens pretty dam quickly!).
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Iwantafirestorm

OK cheers Jaglifter.

Why don't the manufacturers put fuel gauges on? Must cost a couple of pence too much :x

Cheers again for the reply (I can't delete the post now though so we're stuck with this thread forever :p
haydnw

Post by haydnw »

Does anone know if fitting either as a DIY add on is possible or is it a paddock stand and keep an eye on the trip meter?
Haydn
Druid

Post by Druid »

Mine's got a fuel gauge.

2001 and later models have revised instruments that include a pretty accurate LCD fuel gauge.
Iwantafirestorm

Excellent (said in the style of Mr Burns from the Simpsons (with finger tips together))

I'll save up a few more pennies then and get the newest one I can afford.

Glad to hear about the fuel gauge - I've never had a bike with a fuel gauge - it would be nice.

I can live without the centre-stand (Paddock stand is just another goodie for me to buy :) )
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Fuel guage?
They're for poofs mate :lol:
Just zero the trip when you fill up and look for a petrol station before 100 miles
kevg

Post by kevg »

The fuel gauge is only a visual aid to how fast the storm eats petrol. set the trip meter on older bikes or look at the gauge on the newer, doesn't matter, it'll still dissapear as fast, even the newer bigger tank bikes only give you a few axtra miles.
cheerz

kev
DizzyDuck

Post by DizzyDuck »

I've never trusted fuel guages for some reason.. even when I've had one I always reset the trip.

My storm manages 95 Full to reserve regular as clockwork and that reserve LED is BRIGHT ! to the point of being distracting.
twintin

Post by twintin »

95 !!!! do you not use yours i get 75-78 then it's glow time (mind spose the high level arts don't help) hey ho
its not rust it's character
Bink

Post by Bink »

The route you take can make a big difference too...
If I take a route where I can keep pretty much to a consitent speed I'll get 95-100mls. If the traffic is too heavy it will drop to 70-75mls! :cry:
haydnw

Post by haydnw »

Will the post 2001 tank and instruments fit an older model.
I love my Firestorm but find the lack of a clock and fuel gauge drive me mad.
:x
Alternatively does anyone want to do a straight swap - my 1999 bike for your post 2001 :wink: :P

Haydn
Druid

Post by Druid »

haydnw: I doubt if the later clocks will fit an earlier bike. If they did, I'd swap mine back. I can live without a fuel gauge, and I have a nice little solar powered clock that I took off my CBR. But I really hate the later model speedo. It's not a full circular speedo, only about 2/3 of a circle. 0mph is at 4 o'clock and 70 is at about 7 o'clock, so most of the time the speedo is well below your line of sight. It was the one of the few things that Bike criticized in its recent test, and it's one of the things that I wish had not changed from the earlier models.
haydnw

Post by haydnw »

Druid,
Solar powered clock?
Does that mean it doesn't work night?
An aftermarket clock may be an option - anyone know of a good one?
Haydn.
Iwantafirestorm

Druid wrote:But I really hate the later model speedo. It's not a full circular speedo, only about 2/3 of a circle. 0mph is at 4 o'clock and 70 is at about 7 o'clock, so most of the time the speedo is well below your line of sight.
I also agree. I test-rode the older model and have looked extensively at the newer model in shops(!) and I definitely prefer the old speedo (and rev counter) because:

1) It is clearer (new one being cluttered with numbers)
2) The mph markings are further round the dial in a "normal" position
3) It is fully round (new one looks like half of it is missing)

but hey, nothing's perfect and I want as new a 'Storm as I can get, so roll on me getting one when I win the lottery :lol: