Starter Motor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

so your're a couple now ?
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Doh!
Not that sort of couple :oops:
He's a Happly married man and I'm.......
I'm me :lol:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

yeah right..........wait till the millions come rolling in with the fail proof CCT,
take over Honda, buy out Yamaha then the bickering will start.

hey by the way any thoughts on bike run to the sun, ferry to Spain etc next year, even a long weekend would be fun..........
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

A run in the Sun sounds great :D Especially this morning, I didn't know if I was riding or swimming this morning. :evil:
Will have to have a think and see if people are up for it sometime next Summer.Start planning in the new year to give everyone time to organise themselves or summat

Might even have my startermotor fixed by then. :wink:
Pulled it apart on the weekend and a relacement bolt is no problem :lol: Only problem now is the insulation in which it sits.
It's a brittle bocolite type plastic and I've manage to break it. If anyone else has the starter moter HT bolt seized Don't try to force it. just cut it off.
The head of the bolt sits against one of the insulators to its housing and ,as the head of the bolt is rectangular, it can turn and put pressure against a vey brittle insulating moulding and crack it :cry: and guess what!!! it's not available as a spare part either :evil:
I'm going to have a play with some rapid weld some time this week and see if it's repairable if not it's off to the breakers or summat

Pete.l
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Sorry to hear about your starter, wonder if any other models will fit, think some are pretty standard,
I'll keep eyes open for spare, and buy one if cheap and post it on, if not sure someone wil need one soon we can't be the only ones to have this problem,
Fair weather riders probably won't though !
brownie

Post by brownie »

Same problem here unfortunately, bike's a bitch to start and running the battery down. Removed the boot and tried a 10 mm socket, rust was so bad it all disintegrated. :(

I'm going to contact breakers to see what a starter motor will cost as knocking up a bolt will be beyond my DIY numpty skills.

Bit of a bummer as I only got the bike a couple of days ago and haven't even got it out on the road yet. Still better it's sorted now. :)
brownie

Post by brownie »

If it helps anyone else, DK Spares have a load of Firestorm starter motors in at £80.
haydnw

Post by haydnw »

Will an SP1 starter fit?
There is one on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 58975&rd=1
Haydn
haydnw

Post by haydnw »

Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Thanks guys :D
All fixed and back on the road. :lol: Wahoo! :lol:
The hardest part was getting the thing apart. The rest just took a bit of patience and careful application of some rapid weld. I located a S/steel bolt and filed the head down to improve clearance on the inside, added a square(home made ) washer to improve the contact patch so I could give the bolt a little more torque when tightening it up, slapped it back together after spending a little time cleaning all the crud build up around the old bolts and threds and thats it, job done :D

Pete.l